What happened to game night?

qclabrat

For years we used to do movie or game night with the kids. There's the what are you watching thread which has the TV covered, but what games are still fun for the family? The last game we played together as a family was over 6 months ago and it was Scrabble. Nowadays, for the two teens, there is no interest in either family game/movie nights as each just retracts to their phones/computers. Boo

So this Xmas I got two new popular card games hoping to reenergize game night, but when they opened it up it was like unwrapping socks. Looking through the toy aisle at Target, first there are so few games now, and most I've never even heard of. So what games have been fun for the family, and what age were the participants?

15463533715501450903806087508417.jpg

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We go for the classics... Clue is a big one and it works for everyone from my 8 year old nephew (with a little help) to my mom. We have various versions of it from classic and deluxe clue to Micky Mouse.

I also have a game from when I was a kid called fireball island that my nephew found and loves... I think mostly because he keeps winning and you can "fireball" your opponents.

There were a few games at a friend's house last night... I didn't get to play it, but looked interesting: Smart Ass... A kind of trivia game. Plus it's ok to say ass. And watch ya mouth... But I feel like that requires disinfecting the mouth things after each game

EDIT: apparently they still make a version of fireball island... And there's some additions to it coming out later this year. Aunt MissJR might be buying a certain nephew a certain game for his birthday now

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
For years we used to do movie or game night with the kids. There's the what are you watching thread which has the TV covered, but what games are still fun for the family? The last game we played together as a family was over 6 months ago and it was Scrabble. Nowadays, for the two teens, there is no interest in either family game/movie nights as each just retracts to their phones/computers. Boo

So this Xmas I got two new popular card games hoping to reenergize game night, but when they opened it up it was like unwrapping socks. Looking through the toy aisle at Target, first there are so few games now, and most I've never even heard of. So what games have been fun for the family, and what age were the participants?

View attachment 84252

Forget the kids. Game night becomes a husband-wifey thing. We play along with jeapardy every night and once in awhile our son will play. Board games, pretty much just scrabble for us.

w_b

7D98A04B-C216-4839-B0E6-22B10AD1841D.jpeg
Taught the kids at 3 and they still ask to play. Now they keep score, and along the way learned basic addition and some multiplication way ahead of their classmates.

Still struggling with good sportsmanship, doe.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
board games, i like chess, but that requires too much thought for teenagers (i would think)

i also like risk, settlers of catan, yahtzee

w_b

Little Red Schoolbus! 1-2-3 go! First one to talk loses.

This one was key in younger years. Better than Mom screaming SHUT UP!!!

qclabrat

board games, i like chess, but that requires too much thought for teenagers (i would think)

i also like risk, settlers of catan, yahtzee
my kids still play chess online with some friends, they used to compete but now no interest playing with dad. And I'm not even good at it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@qclabrat

Our kids like Exploding Kittens. So this may or may not fly. But Telestrations is hard not to like at any age.

Uno is still easy to play & like for many ages.

There are so many games now.

Never buy Munchkin. The subtitle should be: Guaranteed Argument in a Box.

If you keep having problems with the kids I’d let them play Clean the Kitchen until they come around.

qclabrat

Little Red Schoolbus! 1-2-3 go! First one to talk loses.

This one was key in younger years. Better than Mom screaming SHUT UP!!!
They liked game night till a few years back, probably just part of having teens. Sounds like yours are a bit younger, enjoy the time, it goes quick

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
My son likes Monolopy and we just got the Cheater Addition. It is slightly comical how poor he is at the cheating bad, but I guess that is a good thing ?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
+1 for monopoly, we also have uno attack (it was gifted to me at some point, adds a layer of uncertainty to the game .. . )

qclabrat

@qclabrat

Our kids like Exploding Kittens. So this may or may not fly. But Telestrations is hard not to like at any age.

Uno is still easy to play & like for many ages.

There are so many games now.

Never buy Munchkin. The subtitle should be: Guaranteed Argument in a Box.

If you keep having problems with the kids I’d let them play Clean the Kitchen until they come around.

Yeah, I heard Munchkin just never ends as you can stop someone from winning at anytime.
I tried to get What Do you Meme, but was sold out in a few places

qclabrat

My son likes Monolopy and we just got the Cheater Addition. It is slightly comical how poor he is at the cheating bad, but I guess that is a good thing ?
This was popular at some point, but like Clue has lost it's luster. Before that were games like Trouble, Sorry and Life.
You'll be surprised how many of these games are hard to find in the big box stores. Guess they don't need to use shelf space since everyone probably get orders them online anyways.

qclabrat

+1 for monopoly, we also have uno attack (it was gifted to me at some point, adds a layer of uncertainty to the game .. . )
Uno is still a game we take on vacation. I'll have to look for the other expansion packs. Exploding Kitten is sort or like Uno but faster to finish, since kids have such a short attention span now.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
my kid just downloaded something to the Xbox to run a game (collection of mini-games) in which each person uses their phone -
you need to be in the room, because it uses the TV to prompt.
ran out of time last night to try it out. will report back.

Jackbox Party Pack ??

https://jackboxgames.com/how-to-play/
We have played something similar at a friends house, kids were into it for a few times. I think some of the last of interest in games is the need for constantly something new, like fortnite changes almost daily, always something new.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My 20 yr old son will play Texas holdem poker with the family, in fact he taught us how to play when we where on vacation. We got chips and had a buy in of like $5. I'm not sure how wholesome it is to sit around with extended family gambling and drinking but at least we where degenerates together.

Top Bottom