The DIY thread - DIYourself

THATmanMANNY

thank you. Saw that one. I'll give it a go. First time toilet installer here.

Another topic...
I am dealing with an nightmare plumbing situation. Tuesday, one of the cleaning ladies (I am very anti household cleaning crews but because we welcomed a new BABY boy my wife needs some help) got a brush stuck in the toilet and attempted to flush it down... first, WTF? Now that item is stuck in the drain line somewhere in the outside drain line to septic tank. Shit, literally, is backing through the downstairs toilet. Thought it was fixed yesterday but issue again this morning. I'm at work on the edge of my seat while my wife is at home and the plumber is about two hours out. The cleaning business is paying for the plumber yesterday and today. Dunno just had to share.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
thank you. Saw that one. I'll give it a go. First time toilet installer here.

Another topic...
I am dealing with an nightmare plumbing situation. Tuesday, one of the cleaning ladies (I am very anti household cleaning crews but because we welcomed a new BABY boy my wife needs some help) got a brush stuck in the toilet and attempted to flush it down... first, WTF? Now that item is stuck in the drain line somewhere in the outside drain line to septic tank. Shit, literally, is backing through the downstairs toilet. Thought it was fixed yesterday but issue again this morning. I'm at work on the edge of my seat while my wife is at home and the plumber is about two hours out. The cleaning business is paying for the plumber yesterday and today. Dunno just had to share.
that stinks.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do you suggest some teflon tape wrap over the pipe where it contacts the sealing nuts.
If it's a bare thread to thread connection, yes-
No tape if there is a ferrule or washer in the connection.

Mathers

A project I started. I’m not doing it all just seem demo, electrical and AV work.
Figuring out electrical work done 60-70 years ago is a trip. Luckily it’s BX.

Attachments

• 616E01E2-574C-42F3-802C-FD9F1C694455.jpeg
    616E01E2-574C-42F3-802C-FD9F1C694455.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 34
  • EF6F629C-E04F-433D-A316-FA369A7CC7B9.jpeg
    EF6F629C-E04F-433D-A316-FA369A7CC7B9.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 69872AE2-F85D-4B17-849B-0D24DBD9B762.jpeg
    69872AE2-F85D-4B17-849B-0D24DBD9B762.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 33
  • B04932E6-DA5B-48BD-8B8E-7EF29DE378B4.jpeg
    B04932E6-DA5B-48BD-8B8E-7EF29DE378B4.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 68218541-CB64-4FF5-8306-175221103BD8.jpeg
    68218541-CB64-4FF5-8306-175221103BD8.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 32
  • 3801B507-785B-4F47-AF27-FB9ADE008B9E.jpeg
    3801B507-785B-4F47-AF27-FB9ADE008B9E.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 19EA4740-7AC6-49BF-B231-3D1310282024.jpeg
    19EA4740-7AC6-49BF-B231-3D1310282024.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 43A6D506-9D9A-41E8-9670-BCCA0EC94854.jpeg
    43A6D506-9D9A-41E8-9670-BCCA0EC94854.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 31
  • D585112C-B5E1-4CA1-A99C-F45C612B8FBB.jpeg
    D585112C-B5E1-4CA1-A99C-F45C612B8FBB.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 30
  • 0CB2727D-20CF-4472-BCC5-2373DCD09A6A.jpeg
    0CB2727D-20CF-4472-BCC5-2373DCD09A6A.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 30

ekuhn

A project I started. I’m not doing it all just seem demo, electrical and AV work.
Figuring out electrical work done 60-70 years ago is a trip. Luckily it’s BX.

If the wire is cloth coated and the insulation is dried and cracked, it’s most likely good where it’s still in BX. So if you can move a box 4” in the direction of the wire it’ll be like brand new.

Best of luck

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
ok - here is something different - a tech project.

My "work" computer is 5+ years old and slow as they come. It was slow when i got it, and it just got slower.
The kid started talking-up a gaming computer. OK, i don't need to game, but having a faster computer would be nice.
His gaming stuff is in the basement - which works cause i can do remote desktop - but google remote desktop is meant to
mirror the console (the monitor(s) hooked to the computer)

So i drop some coin on a nice I7 system, not crazy, but enough to run the games he wants. steam stuff, and rainbow6

I start looking at ways to upgrade windows 10 home for terminal services - if you aren't familiar, think of remote desktop
to one computer for multiple people, and they each get their own desktop at the same time.

So while looking, i come across a group-sourced project on github called RDPwrapper - RDP is remote desktop protocol.
a microsoft standard. It installs on a windows 10 (or 7, 8) home system. easy install, and nothing to config. and provides the
layer on windows to provide multiple, concurrent logins.

This is a different protocol than something like google remote - and i run a chromebox as my primary. I look around and
find a chome app called chromeRDP. it costs $10. it is the program that provides a window/connection to the Windows computer.
If you have a slow Windows based computer, you already have the program on there to connect to a faster computer.

after a couple tweaks, like letting the new computer allow remote connections because it is on a trusted network,
and a setting in the chromeRDP that allows local authentication (it is usually network level for this type of connection) it worked
great -

he can game, and just chew up the machine, and i can pull up spreadsheets, and quickbooks at the same time.
seems to be a problem with audio - will figure it out.

so this only runs on my local network right now - it is way too dangerous to open it up to the internet for access
outside the house - on the other hand, google remote desktop is secure, because of their multiple levels of authentication,
and connection provided by a third party.

i haven't tried using chrome remote with my credentials while the kid is logged into the console. could be interesting.

----

here is the console

IMG_2727.JPG

While i'm logged in from my chromebox.

Screenshot 2018-12-28 at 23.59.29.png

Last edited:

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
FTR, waiting on pieces parts.
Ain’t no box store stocking Eljer ish.
Hopefully it arrives 2 hours before guests do.

qclabrat

ok - here is something different - a tech project.

My "work" computer is 5+ years old and slow as they come. It was slow when i got it, and it just got slower.
The kid started talking-up a gaming computer. OK, i don't need to game, but having a faster computer would be nice.
His gaming stuff is in the basement - which works cause i can do remote desktop - but google remote desktop is meant to
mirror the console (the monitor(s) hooked to the computer)

So i drop some coin on a nice I7 system, not crazy, but enough to run the games he wants. steam stuff, and rainbow6

I start looking at ways to upgrade windows 10 home for terminal services - if you aren't familiar, think of remote desktop
to one computer for multiple people, and they each get their own desktop at the same time.

So while looking, i come across a group-sourced project on github called RDPwrapper - RDP is remote desktop protocol.
a microsoft standard. It installs on a windows 10 (or 7, 8) home system. easy install, and nothing to config. and provides the
layer on windows to provide multiple, concurrent logins.

This is a different protocol than something like google remote - and i run a chromebox as my primary. I look around and
find a chome app called chromeRDP. it costs $10. it is the program that provides a window/connection to the Windows computer.
If you have a slow Windows based computer, you already have the program on there to connect to a faster computer.

after a couple tweaks, like letting the new computer allow remote connections because it is on a trusted network,
and a setting in the chromeRDP that allows local authentication (it is usually network level for this type of connection) it worked
great -

he can game, and just chew up the machine, and i can pull up spreadsheets, and quickbooks at the same time.
seems to be a problem with audio - will figure it out.

so this only runs on my local network right now - it is way too dangerous to open it up to the internet for access
outside the house - on the other hand, google remote desktop is secure, because of their multiple levels of authentication,
and connection provided by a third party.

i haven't tried using chrome remote with my credentials while the kid is logged into the console. could be interesting.

----

here is the console

View attachment 83929

While i'm logged in from my chromebox.

View attachment 83930
what's going on with the door in the second to last pic?
guessing some kind of inversion device

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
what's going on with the door in the second to last pic?
guessing some kind of inversion device

some sort of band workout thing - has the curl bar on it now. pulleys top and bottom, so lots of combos.
seemed like a good idea. never use it.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Great success!
FAD1CAAC-6326-4EB2-AF10-218EEFBCDCA0.jpeg

Of course had to replace a leaky flapper too, even though that was completely untouched, but shitter’s back online!
BFEE7B74-0248-45FE-B769-1AE44E381398.jpeg
Only a couple of marks on the porcelain from the sawzall to remind me I’m not pro.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Great success!
View attachment 84118

Of course had to replace a leaky flapper too, even though that was completely untouched, but shitter’s back online!
View attachment 84120
Only a couple of marks on the porcelain from the sawzall to remind me I’m not pro.
@jmanic did you touch up the paint on the wall behind the tank while it was off? I would have had to do that given the opportunity...that stupid shit drives me crazy even though nobody can see it

Top Bottom