The DIY thread - DIYourself

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I wouldn't worry about the engine at this point(high miles) if he isn't burning enough oil to cause an issue then it wont ever be an issue since its all aluminum and I don't think J series motors came with forged pistons so there isn't extra play when its cold.

he doesnt mention how many miles are on it, and with the crowd around here it could be his winter only vehicle which drives 5k miles a year (which would eliminate the high milage theory). But oil consumption is not a linear function of time, and varies, now that we know hes planning to get rid of it springish of 2020 i would agree it probably wont make things much worse.

Only an issue when cold for the last 3 years. Odd the switch konks out at 40 and below. Should I stay in the garage? I don't understand cars...

temp switches go bad, all sensor drift over time and eventually they drift out of range, it sounds to me like yours reads colder than it should be and is causing the computer to lock you into lower gear to help warm up the fluid. I bet the upshifts are occuring later when its cold as well as not shifting into Drive (im assuming its a 5 speed which would typically make 4th gear drive, or 1:1)

Parking in the garage will help bc the car will be warmer and hence the fluid will be warmer in the morning when you start it up, so it will go into drive sooner. i dont have any issue with any of my slushbox vehicles, but my challenger when i daily drove it always had a stiff second gear in the cold until the trans warmed up some . . . (non issue anymore)

qclabrat

Almost 200k still youngish for a Honda. As of late I'm driving a 5 series for the warm seasons since it's got summer tires and rwd, except to ride my bike and weekly trips into NYC. In the winter it's my only ride. So 6-7k a yr for the past few years.
IMG_20181211_071752.jpg

Reactions: rlb

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
sorry 200k isnt really young for anything with a gas engine, its not retirement time on a modern car, but its not really young . . .

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What Max said - trapping the moisture overhead might not be the best idea - just stop most of the convection - maybe with rock wool?
Funny, I have some organic packing material (growler shipment) that looks a lot like that.
Will give that a throw.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
not really surprised, 300k should easily be possible with minor repairs on most modern engines, we arent living in the 60s anymore machining tolerances are much better and more consistent.

qclabrat

not really surprised, 300k should easily be possible with minor repairs on most modern engines, we arent living in the 60s anymore machining tolerances are much better and more consistent.
I've had auto trans problems with every Honda I've owned including an Integral. Only one without an issue was a Legend and that one had the typical rusted out quarter panels

THATmanMANNY

@fidodie
the only code I know is
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start.

Goof up but the sub floor is down for good (well anything is demo-able)... I was at a point of well, let's just move on! If it requires to demo the sub floor I will but I can still make this work.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
For me to hit 200K on a car, I'd have to drive it for 20+ years (just got rid of an '04 Subaru. 14 years, 120K miles). Yeah, the engines and transmissions can easily go the distance these days, but age and rust usually start to give you troubles.

I'd take that off your hands

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
For me to hit 200K on a car, I'd have to drive it for 20+ years (just got rid of an '04 Subaru. 14 years, 120K miles). Yeah, the engines and transmissions can easily go the distance these days, but age and rust usually start to give you troubles.

lucky you, ill be there in 10 at the rate iv been driving.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@fidodie
the only code I know is
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start.

Goof up but the sub floor is down for good (well anything is demo-able)... I was at a point of well, let's just move on! If it requires to demo the sub floor I will but I can still make this work.

i can't find any tool to tighten this below the floor level.

can you come at it from below? or from behind a wall (another room or closet?)

it doesn't have to be really tight given the orientation.

THATmanMANNY

No. Also, I tested the tub’s T drain setup too. There is some gap between the SS pipes and nuts it slides into. Do you suggest some teflon tape wrap over the pipe where it contacts the sealing nuts.

OTOH, what is the best toilet set kit? Just looking set a cheap standard bowl toilet.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
No. Also, I tested the tub’s T drain setup too. There is some gap between the SS pipes and nuts it slides into. Do you suggest some teflon tape wrap over the pipe where it contacts the sealing nuts.

OTOH, what is the best toilet set kit? Just looking set a cheap standard bowl toilet.

may have the wrong size nut ? they should fit snuggley before tightening.

you may be able to convert to a threaded chrome pipe below the floor, then add the trap adapter on top of that....
i know you don't want to demo, the trap adapter is probably NPT, so add above that?

toilets are cheap, buy it from plumbing supply. two piece are easier to deal with, 1 piece is easier to clean.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
my dad had to use the non wax one in the main bath in their house, why? because it was almost directly over the woodstove (whic is in the unfinished basement) the heat from the stove running 24/7 all winter was melting the wax seals and they were leaking through the floor . . .never had a problem after switching over.

iman29

i tried the non wax kit during my recent toilet flange replacement fiasco and found it made the bowl too high off the ground. I did not want to shim the bowl and have a huge caulk line around it so I went back to the wax ring. That being said it could just be my specific situation and I would have preferred the non wax one for reuse purposes if it worked out.

Top Bottom