Winter gear must haves?

Kaleidopete

is it spring yet?
Does it look like it?
Today's ice
frz66.jpg
frz65.jpg

one piece crank

Sorry, but rubber gloves and plastic bags are Crazy. Might as well wear a wetsuit under your cycling garb, just pour a few cups of warm water in to make it nice and toasty! In the Winter I'm usually outside for a day, or days at a time, so I don't risk introducing swimming to my activity schedule

I must have a dozen different pairs of gloves, and usually stuff 1-2 extra pair in my pack 'cause I never know what will be comfortable, AND so I have a back-up if I sweat the first pair. Same for my feet...

Last edited:

thegock

Top Ten pieces of Winter Gear​

The comments above contain all of these in various forms, but these are my favorites, in top of the mind order.

• Chemical hand warmer packs, in case everything or something goes bad
  • Gore Lid cover, great for a cold rain, too.
  • Merino Wool sox
  • Pearl Izumi Amfib bibs: like the way the front panel covers my chest. Second place: any XXL Target yoga pants on sale
  • Gore Tool jacket, second place: Shower Pass Double Century
  • Balaclava: I have about six different weight ones in the drawer, depending on conditions.
  • 45Nrth Wolvhammers: recipe for sweaty feet after three hours in 15 degree weather
  • Dakine Fillmore Trigger Mitt: suck on it, Sleestak
  • Neck gaiter: I like the merino wool, but the comic book villain print looks good on you…
  • Merino or cashmere wool mid layer (or thrift shop wool to save $$$): wear this over any old base layer from Target or UA Cold Gear FTW

• PENG UINS IMG_20180112_074857-01.jpg
Party on!

rick81721

Lothar
Top Ten pieces of Winter Gear​

The comments above contain all of these in various forms, but these are my favorites, in top of the mind order.

• Chemical hand warmer packs, in case everything or something goes bad
  • Gore Lid cover, great for a cold rain, too.
  • Merino Wool sox
  • Pearl Izumi Amfib bibs: like the way the front panel covers my chest. Second place: any XXL Target yoga pants on sale
  • Gore Tool jacket, second place: Shower Pass Double Century
  • Balaclava: I have about six different weight ones in the drawer, depending on conditions.
  • 45Nrth Wolvhammers: recipe for sweaty feet after three hours in 15 degree weather
  • Dakine Fillmore Trigger Mitt: suck on it, Sleestak
  • Neck gaiter: I like the merino wool, but the comic book villain print looks good on you…
  • Merino or cashmere wool mid layer (or thrift shop wool to save $$$): wear this over any old base layer from Target or UA Cold Gear FTW

Party on!

Where does the sombrero fit in this?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Sorry, but rubber gloves and plastic bags are Crazy. Might as well wear a wetsuit under your cycling garb, just pour a few cups of warm water in to make it nice and toasty! In the Winter I'm usually outside for a day, or days at a time, so I don't risk introducing swimming to my activity schedule

I must have a dozen different pairs of gloves, and usually stuff 1-2 extra pair in my pack 'cause I never know what will be comfortable, AND so I have a back-up if I sweat the first pair. Same for my feet...

my gloves are waterproof/windproof. they do not breath. so the sweat collects in the insulating material.

maybe i do need better gloves? whatcha got, and when do you use them?
(running 1st gen sleestaks and gore lobster, and some other off brand that is matchy with my clothes)

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
my gloves are waterproof/windproof. they do not breath. so the sweat collects in the insulating material.

maybe i do need better gloves? whatcha got, and when do you use them?
(running 1st gen sleestaks and gore lobster, and some other off brand that is matchy with my clothes)
Fox forge cold gear gloves. They're truly amazing. Wore them in 17 degrees, hands were at the perfect temperature the entire 2 hours. But the question I have to ask, haven't seen you on strava so why are you worried about winter gloves? :eek:

qclabrat

I do this as well. As long as you keep the gloves on, you're fine. I take off my sleestaks for pics/bathroom breaks. Nitrile gloves only come off when i get home. Lots of sweat inside
I've only done this in extreme cold below -10F. It does get uncomfortable after sweating and your fingers get pruney. But cold sweaty gloves do suck. I've gone to poggies and not going back when real cold. I like the larger ones for scooters so easier to slip off as needed

rick81721

Lothar
I've only done this in extreme cold below -10F. It does get uncomfortable after sweating and your fingers get pruney. But cold sweaty gloves do suck. I've gone to poggies and not going back when real cold. I like the larger ones for scooters so easier to slip off as needed

I don't care how warm they are, pogies look ridiculous

pkovo

I'm with you on this. I'm fairly new to using pogies, but I'm not going back. I don't care if they look silly, they work so well. My hands are my weak spot in the cold and with these....problem solved.

Top Bottom