Car-spotting thread

rick81721

Lothar
if you back to a 60s Mustang, while maybe not quite as significant is still a huge difference between then and now. . . Cutting weight is where it needs to go, even shrinking a little bit, but the problem with that is crumple zones, and meeting crash standards . . . (at least for anything sold for on street use)

year length width height weight
1966 181 68.2 51.2 3000(v8) 2570 (v6)
2018 188 75 55 3825 (V8) 3532 (v6)

only a few inches longer (sure, 7 inches is a few) but also 7 inches wider, and almost 4 inches taller, adding 1000 lbs of weight, not as visually dramatic as the porsche but still hugely signifcant, and noticable if you park em next to each other.

I was comparing the 68 mustang to 2018. 68 is a longer and wider than 65-66

PS 71-73 mustangs are yuge - longer than current!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yea that illustrates my point perfectly.

i get that a wider car will corner better lower CG and all that but there comes a point where enough is enough and when your modern high horsepower cars are only incrementally faster for these significant jumps in HP/TQ yo have to look at what your doing and look harder at why that is, and work harder to increase that performance gap.
all true, but your challenger is a great example....I think they did an excellent job making the car look like the 1970 version, however
if you back to a 60s Mustang, while maybe not quite as significant is still a huge difference between then and now. . . Cutting weight is where it needs to go, even shrinking a little bit, but the problem with that is crumple zones, and meeting crash standards . . . (at least for anything sold for on street use)

year length width height weight
1966 181 68.2 51.2 3000(v8) 2570 (v6)
2018 188 75 55 3825 (V8) 3532 (v6)

only a few inches longer (sure, 7 inches is a few) but also 7 inches wider, and almost 4 inches taller, adding 1000 lbs of weight, not as visually dramatic as the porsche but still hugely signifcant, and noticable if you park em next to each other.

I have never weighed my 67 big block car, but from what i have read they were about 3300 lbs...So lets say 500lbs lighter than a modern v8 mustang. Really, thats peanuts considering how much faster a new GT is than my 6.4L big block (if it was stock, its like light years faster), handling...there are no words I can type to compare the handling of my 67 mustang to say even a 2018 ford F-350 diesel. Never mind a modern mustang......Safety? any accident in my 67, you die...plain and simple, there is NO structure...front, the engine will come thru the firewall and crush you, after the steering column runs thru you like a javelin....rear the gas tank will burst, side will collapse like a house of cards. I mean the 500lbs has come with some monumental improvements :) Although (and your challenger is a great example) im not a huge fan of how high modern car doors have to be now...Really screws up the proportions of the car...plus, I rent a 2018 mustang convertible and I cant drive it with my arm on top of the door...Thats a huge bummer.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
all true, but your challenger is a great example....I think they did an excellent job making the car look like the 1970 version, however

I have never weighed my 67 big block car, but from what i have read they were about 3300 lbs...So lets say 500lbs lighter than a modern v8 mustang. Really, thats peanuts considering how much faster a new GT is than my 6.4L big block (if it was stock, its like light years faster), handling...there are no words I can type to compare the handling of my 67 mustang to say even a 2018 ford F-350 diesel. Never mind a modern mustang......Safety? any accident in my 67, you die...plain and simple, there is NO structure...front, the engine will come thru the firewall and crush you, after the steering column runs thru you like a javelin....rear the gas tank will burst, side will collapse like a house of cards. I mean the 500lbs has come with some monumental improvements :) Although (and your challenger is a great example) im not a huge fan of how high modern car doors have to be now...Really screws up the proportions of the car...plus, I rent a 2018 mustang convertible and I cant drive it with my arm on top of the door...Thats a huge bummer.

yea all modern 'performance' cars are a great example of what crash safety standards have done to cars and how they have evolved. the weight (and more importantly added size) definitely bring some serious safety improvements. They cant get rid of that type of changes, but id like to see the option to delete all the extra 'comfort' or 'infotainment' crap, the extra computers ect that dont add to safety and are just driver comfort features. I would like to see more cars going like dodge did withe ACR vipers, thin carpet, no radio, just the bare essentials to make it street legal and then stuff the performance in everywhere else, will it happen again? i honestly dont know, but i have serious doubts that we will see anything like that on a street legal level ever again . . .

I mean you look at my challenger and while it looks like the 1970s car in most ways the proportions are different because of all this, but most cars have gone away from that kind of 'simple' (for lack of a better description right now) design to more complex, aerodynamic, visually engaging designs, in large part due to 3-d CAD software and the abilities of CNCs to make more complex stamping molds for sheetmetal, or more complex shaped parts in general. This allows the designers to do SO MUCH more with the design, both interior and exterior. I know tha i would love to have a great looking car that is great handling and for me im willing to give up alot of the extras to get that, however im well aware i am in the minority saying that . . .

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
so in stock form its almost as fast as Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, which is impressive...i mean for 65k. But goddam, that car is just brutal to look at...inside and out. Maybe Randy's kid can take some crayons and draw a better face on the front of it.

rick81721

Lothar
so in stock form its almost as fast as Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, which is impressive...i mean for 65k. But goddam, that car is just brutal to look at...inside and out. Maybe Randy's kid can take some crayons and draw a better face on the front of it.

Yeah there is something disturbing about a car with no radiator inlet. Kinda like this

serious-young-man-without-mouth-260nw-249836599.jpg

THATmanMANNY

Actually... now $64k ha and $56.5k before end of the year. I read that it's faster than the Alfa around that track?
I'll buy a loaded garage queen P3D in a few years :D I would like to buy one now but for daily driving the RWD is the better choice in regards to efficiency, price, and I loaded it up with AP and FSD. That's more attractive to me than a car I won't track. Yes, FSD $3k for vaporware but when it is ready I'm not subject to the future $10k? Tesla will charge. It's been nearly 20 yrs for me buying a new car and I'm trying to future proof it. Scheduled pickup is next weekend! :cool:

OTOH: https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-its-like-to-be-passed-by-a-tesla-semi-on-the-1830347845

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Actually... now $64k ha and $56.5k before end of the year. I read that it's faster than the Alfa around that track?
I'll buy a loaded garage queen P3D in a few years :D I would like to buy one now but for daily driving the RWD is the better choice in regards to efficiency, price, and I loaded it up with AP and FSD. That's more attractive to me than a car I won't track. Yes, FSD $3k for vaporware but when it is ready I'm not subject to the future $10k? Tesla will charge. It's been nearly 20 yrs for me buying a new car and I'm trying to future proof it. Scheduled pickup is next weekend! :cool:

OTOH: https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-its-like-to-be-passed-by-a-tesla-semi-on-the-1830347845
It was after they put aftermarket brakes and tires on it.

I was reading road and tracks road test of it... With the advanced autopilot, performance upgrade, and other than red paint, theirs was 78k list... So it's the same price as the alpha. Runs 11.8 1/4 MI which is very fast, but about the same as a stock mustang gt.. So nothing outstanding given its competition. And it looks how it looks and has no sound track.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/road-tests/a22625274/tesla-model-3-performance-track-test/

THATmanMANNY

gotcha but apples to apples in car segment (Guilia, 3 series, A4, etc) and options, it's retail $64k now and performance upgrade is included.

To each their own but I'm going chrome delete withe aero caps off. Wife doesn't know it but this is how she be rolling. RIP powered hatch and presenting door handles.
1541863720761.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom