Commuting

pygmypony

I've had two of these so far..... First one was a nice long ride (relatively speaking) from 9th Street and 6th Ave, up to 46th Street, and then across to Park Ave.

You're spot on with both impressions... I may have actually giggled a few times when starting off from a red light. IDGAF. And yeah, the assist kicks in immediately. I can totally see someone who't not an experienced rider getting a little to aggressive. Given how shitty a CitiBike already is to handle, I didn't think this was much worse. The other trip was usual Penn to 46/Park. Wood ride again.

One thing that they will really need to stay on top of with these is the brakes. Can't be having mushy brakes with these things....

after seeing @MadisonDan having ridden one of these bad boys, i figured i'd give it a go too. to echo both Dan's and @jmanic impressions - they are super fun, and on days when there is a serious headwind, or i'm hungover, i would love to ride one again, if i can find one. however, i also agree, they are likely to be super dangerous in the hands of someone riding while texting or just being an idiot in general.

they are also dangerous for your PRs on strava - have a look here...https://www.strava.com/activities/1895884733

pygmypony

Ha!
I intentionally avoided segments
it didn't even occur to me until i was finished!

but on the bright side, i'm now challenging myself to beat the pedal assist PRs with a standard Citibike.

i missed this one today...but i will be back with a stronger tailwind!

fwiw - Oct 10 was the eBike day @ 17 mph. not sure what sort of PEDs i was taking on Sep 18, but that was pretty fast too!

1540304851853.png

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
70 Arbitrary base of comparison. Upper 70s are annoyingly loud to some people. (Passenger car at 65 mph at 25 ft)

110 Average human pain threshold. 16 times as loud as 70 dB.

120 Painful. 32 times as loud as 70 dB.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Can't wait to try it on CitiBike. For ~$13 if it last's the winter, I'll be happy.
It will last until your second ride, when you forget to take it off after docking, and someone’ll gank it.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
It will last until your second ride, when you forget to take it off after docking, and someone’ll gank it.
Left my rear light on the POSS once... surprisingly, it was still there the next morning. But then again, you guys are talking about citibikes.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Holy shit that thing is loud. "Whistle" mode seems to work best in NYC, since it pierces thru the normal city soundscape. I have concerns about the bands to hold it to the bars, so I will keep an eye on that. I may use this when out on road rides too...

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Holy shit that thing is loud. "Whistle" mode seems to work best in NYC, since it pierces thru the normal city soundscape. I have concerns about the bands to hold it to the bars, so I will keep an eye on that. I may use this when out on road rides too...
My bell just got delivered.
Will see how loud this bad boy is!

Top Bottom