Car-spotting thread

rick81721

Lothar
Sunday skirmish: this was the last day to drive the GT350 until Jan 6 when we return from NJ. Usually, sunday afternoon is slim pickens around here, at least until snowbirds return for the winter. But coming south on Tamiami I encountered a hemi charger and BMW X6M. The bimmer guy stayed close behind, when we approached a light turning red we each took a lane (3 lanes going straight here). I was in the middle, no one looked at each other or revved but I knew it was on. Light turned green and the bimmer took off. He got a lead on me at first but when I hit 8000 rpm in 2nd I blew by him. The charger guy never had a chance (sorry @shrpshtr325).

So adding to the list, BMW M cars are fun to run with. All other bimmers, however, are primarily driven by old ladies. Well it was good times and will miss driving the GT350 the next 2 months.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
the chargers are not really all that quick (tho saying hemi is vague, was it an r/t or srt? both have hemis in em) especially considering that they are automatic only and the automatic that they used in it is not all that great. . . they also weigh like 4600lbs, its crazy.

too bad your not brining the shelby back this time, theres one more autox this year in NNJ you could have come to.

rick81721

Lothar
the chargers are not really all that quick (tho saying hemi is vague, was it an r/t or srt? both have hemis in em) especially considering that they are automatic only and the automatic that they used in it is not all that great. . . they also weigh like 4600lbs, its crazy.

too bad your not brining the shelby back this time, theres one more autox this year in NNJ you could have come to.

I think it was an srt. GT350 will be back in April.

@Carson are those X6Ms hybrids? He took off super quick but i didn't hear much noise - tho my windows were down and all i heard was the voodoo.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think it was an srt. GT350 will be back in April.

@Carson are those X6Ms hybrids? He took off super quick but i didn't hear much noise - tho my windows were down and all i heard was the voodoo.

Rick is out here living his best life...he's Paul Walker in real life.

X6M is not hybrid. 550+ horsepower twin turbo V8. And six figures. And made in South Carolina.

Mildly Wild

I was at Island Dragway 2 wks ago for the bike meet. Bone stock Hellcat Charger w/8 spd auto (slicks on rear) ripping off 10.80's. Pretty quick for me.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was at Island Dragway 2 wks ago for the bike meet. Bone stock Hellcat Charger w/8 spd auto (slicks on rear) ripping off 10.80's. Pretty quick for me.

yes the hellcats are definitely quick, but rick clearly wasnt up against a hellcat, its very obvious when a hellcat pulls up next to you. And the older auto is what i was referring to, i think it was a 6 speed auto.

Although if i were to do it again today idk if id be able to buy another challenger, even the widebody hellcats with the 6 speed, i just want something more for road courses. . . (viper maybe)

rick81721

Lothar
yes the hellcats are definitely quick, but rick clearly wasnt up against a hellcat, its very obvious when a hellcat pulls up next to you. And the older auto is what i was referring to, i think it was a 6 speed auto.

Although if i were to do it again today idk if id be able to buy another challenger, even the widebody hellcats with the 6 speed, i just want something more for road courses. . . (viper maybe)

Yeah a hellcat would blow me away. Rarely see them on the street tho, just at shows. Even your challenger is a boat - when we rented one in Utah, I was surprised how big it was. Trade yours for a viper - badass!

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@rick81721

i believe your mustang matches the body of the current generation, but the previous generation was NOT that much smaller than my challenger, all the cars have gotten so big its crazy, why cant i get a high horsepower, good handling, lightweight car for a reasonable price? the viper is about the closest i can think of, and at this point they arent making any more so the price is way up on them . . .

rick81721

Lothar
@rick81721

i believe your mustang matches the body of the current generation, but the previous generation was NOT that much smaller than my challenger, all the cars have gotten so big its crazy, why cant i get a high horsepower, good handling, lightweight car for a reasonable price? the viper is about the closest i can think of, and at this point they arent making any more so the price is way up on them . . .

Challenger is almost a foot longer and a few inches taller. Heavier weight makes it feel bigger too, I guess.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
9 inches longer (according to google, 188 vs 197) and 1 inch taller (56 vs 57) im sure yours is lighter than a standard GT, but the standard GT is only like 200 lbs lighter than the challenger (from the same generation), Im still not sure why all the cars have gotten so damn big (the weight is all the govt mandated safety BS, at least a significant part of it)

for reference the camaro is 190x55, and weighs in the same ballpark as the challenger, my buddy had is 1LE weighed (2013 or 14) and it was like 4000-4100 lbs) all three are 75-76inches wide

rick81721

Lothar
for reference the camaro is 190x55, and weighs in the same ballpark as the challenger, my buddy had is 1LE weighed (2013 or 14) and it was like 4000-4100 lbs) all three are 75-76inches wide

Did he weigh it? Seems to be a lot of difficulty in getting accurate weights on these cars. Some people put them on scales - mine is supposed to be around 3750 with half a tank of gas. I'm tempted to take her to the county dump - they weigh your vehicle before and after dropping something off and charge you by weight. The Durango was like 5600 lbs!

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
yea he had it on the scales balancing it, think he said half a tank of gas (avg for what youd have on the track)

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
yea that illustrates my point perfectly.

i get that a wider car will corner better lower CG and all that but there comes a point where enough is enough and when your modern high horsepower cars are only incrementally faster for these significant jumps in HP/TQ yo have to look at what your doing and look harder at why that is, and work harder to increase that performance gap.

rick81721

Lothar
yea that illustrates my point perfectly.

i get that a wider car will corner better lower CG and all that but there comes a point where enough is enough and when your modern high horsepower cars are only incrementally faster for these significant jumps in HP/TQ yo have to look at what your doing and look harder at why that is, and work harder to increase that performance gap.

Cutting weight will be part of the future. For about 100K I could drop 500 lbs on the GT350 with carbon fiber body panels!

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
if you back to a 60s Mustang, while maybe not quite as significant is still a huge difference between then and now. . . Cutting weight is where it needs to go, even shrinking a little bit, but the problem with that is crumple zones, and meeting crash standards . . . (at least for anything sold for on street use)

year length width height weight
1966 181 68.2 51.2 3000(v8) 2570 (v6)
2018 188 75 55 3825 (V8) 3532 (v6)

only a few inches longer (sure, 7 inches is a few) but also 7 inches wider, and almost 4 inches taller, adding 1000 lbs of weight, not as visually dramatic as the porsche but still hugely signifcant, and noticable if you park em next to each other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom