What have you done to your bike today?

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
If you have a Pike, get the Vorsprung Luftkappe. It’s a larger negative air-chamber that will replace your tokens, and is the best $85 you’ll spend on that fork. I’ve been running one all year, no issues with trapping air. Ff
Good to know, I have the 2015 Pike and if some tokens don't do the trick, this may be next

If you have an older Pike, get the Vorsprung Luftkappe. It’s a larger negative air-chamber that will replace your tokens, and is the best $85 you’ll spend on that fork. I’ve been running one all year, no issues with trapping air. Small bump sensitivity is amazing, and as an added bonus, makes your fork more progressive so nice support around the sag point with nice ramp-up for soft bottom-out.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I have a 2018 Pike and just replaced the soloair spring with the debonair upgrade. It is a significant upgrade for $43. Similar benefits as the Luftkape, allegedly. I have not ridden a luftkape so I can’t speak with firsthand knowledge of how the new debonair spring compares.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No , 2017 it's hard to pass on new take off for 350 bucks when the new pikes and lyrics are 900 and up . Also looking forward to not trapping air in the negative chamber causing harsh ride

too bad they don't make one for fox 34

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Giving the 9point8 fall line dropper a try.
20181002_193406.jpg
20181003_080627.jpg

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Built/Rebuilt my rear singlespeed wheel. Running a PaulComp hub w/ a trials freewheel that had no seals. Every race I did in the rain would wash out all the grease. Had to rebuild the freewheel again and while taking it off at work and distracted by someone talking to me, ripped all the threads off the hub. Ugh.

Ordered a new hub, new Monty freewheel with sealed bearings and 130 points of engagement... Re-used the spokes and Arch rim.

Easiest rear wheel to build. All the spokes are the same length, flanges are wider than probably anything else out there so it's extremely strong. Should last forever if I'm not an idiot again.

And yes, I did screw up and not put the hub label underneath the valve...

2018-10-03 10.27.25.jpg

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Built/Rebuilt my rear singlespeed wheel. Running a PaulComp hub w/ a trials freewheel that had no seals. Every race I did in the rain would wash out all the grease. Had to rebuild the freewheel again and while taking it off at work and distracted by someone talking to me, ripped all the threads off the hub. Ugh.

Ordered a new hub, new Monty freewheel with sealed bearings and 130 points of engagement... Re-used the spokes and Arch rim.

Easiest rear wheel to build. All the spokes are the same length, flanges are wider than probably anything else out there so it's extremely strong. Should last forever if I'm not an idiot again.

And yes, I did screw up and not put the hub label underneath the valve...

View attachment 78070
That’s super clean looking!

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Trials components on a SS can partially offset the valve-hole-hub-logo oversight!

I was in a rush to get it done with the limited time I had. I did actually line it up, but when I lined it up it was with the spokes going the opposite direction. Probably OK to build the entire wheel backwards as it's 3x on both sides, but I figured to do it the conventional way and have the logo not lined up. I may replace the spokes and go with a Crest instead of an Arch at some point in the hopes of loosing some hardtail induced harshness...

Even though it's the same hub, Paul revised it and it's much lighter which I guess is nice.

Karate Monkey

Ever seen Shimano Yumeya?

IMG_20181006_084201.jpg

It's the closest to bike jewelry that Shimano be ever got to making. They were sold as upgrade kits for Dura Ace and XTR for a few years. In fact, if you have 7900, you can still buy them.

(No, it's not like that, it just happens that's the cheapest screw available to fit, anymore.)

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
No pics but I put Vittoria's Air Liner in one of my rear tires. It appears to be a lot easier to install than Cush Core based on vids I've seen so I gave it a shot. It was pretty easy to install so a thumbs up in that department but we'll see how it holds up in a knar. I've only had 1 ride on it so far and about to go on its second ride after work today. If I like it then I'll consider getting one for the front. If I feel up to it I may get a pair of Cush Core for the other wheelset and do a comparison in term of install, feel, and effectiveness. I know they're different in their approach to address flat protection but then main purpose is the same. Cush Core's main purpose is to prevent flats due to pinching by providing a layer of dense foam between the rim and the tire sidewall at the point of impact but not so much if there's a puncture near the top of the tire where there's no foam. The Air Liner's approach is a bit different in that it will allow you to still ride your bike out with no air left and in some respects can prevent pinch flats but does it in a different way.

qclabrat

No pics but I put Vittoria's Air Liner in one of my rear tires. It appears to be a lot easier to install than Cush Core based on vids I've seen so I gave it a shot. It was pretty easy to install so a thumbs up in that department but we'll see how it holds up in a knar. I've only had 1 ride on it so far and about to go on its second ride after work today. If I like it then I'll consider getting one for the front. If I feel up to it I may get a pair of Cush Core for the other wheelset and do a comparison in term of install, feel, and effectiveness. I know they're different in their approach to address flat protection but then main purpose is the same. Cush Core's main purpose is to prevent flats due to pinching by providing a layer of dense foam between the rim and the tire sidewall at the point of impact but not so much if there's a puncture near the top of the tire where there's no foam. The Air Liner's approach is a bit different in that it will allow you to still ride your bike out with no air left and in some respects can prevent pinch flats but does it in a different way.
Which bike and tire size did you put it on?, interested in a review after a few rides in

Top Bottom