Clean Start

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Nice work! Why’d you run 29 instead of 26?

GPS failure in-between buildings.

I looked down the first couple miles and it had me at a low 7 pace, a little while later i saw 11.
There were clocks on the course every mile, and i knew i started 34 minutes after the first wave,
so i was able to do math for most of the race. I was also running with the 3:50 group for a good long time.
Went through the half way point right on time.

check the Strava track - doesn't follow the streets very well.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The Day After -

Fell into a deep sleep last night. Relatively early. I may have seen the beginning of the evening football game, or not.

Of course i wake-up at 3:45 and can't get back to sleep. Took some asprin, drank some more water.

My head is a little swimmy - like after a plane ride that did a quick descent.

Not feeling too badly today physically - the spot where i got stung in the side of knee/tendon area still hurts.
The vastus medialis are hurting! These are usually the first to cramp when i bike too. Maybe i should
think about specific exercises to strengthen them.

View attachment 78448

@seanrunnette - Nipples are good, a little sensitive. There is some chaffing near my collar bone from the front of the shirt collar being wet.
And we spoke about toes. Thought i had it under control. Must have left a little too much nail.
The big toe already had a black nail - i just added some bruising. 1st toe has a nice blood blister, second toe turned black and has some bruising in front.
Lovely!

View attachment 78449

somewhere between my toes and my nipples is also chaffed. luckily no bleeding.

I'm not sure lycra is the way to go on a distance run - at least for guys.

----

pounded down some eggs and meats this morning. Couple cups of coffee, muffin, and two bananas.
The sun is out in Chicago, and it is almost time to do some exploring!
That photo should have had a spoiler tag.

qclabrat

great finish Pat, congrats.
How many miles did you have on the sneakers?
When running was still fun, I used to have 3 pairs. Trainers, speed days and races. The sneaks may have been a little tired.
Did you put in fresh beds before the race?

Patrick

Staff member
That photo should have had a spoiler tag.

good call - done.

Wow ok. That looks painful.

As a secondary goal, i was really hoping to put in a sub 9 minute mile pace, this is what prevented it.

great finish Pat, congrats.
How many miles did you have on the sneakers?
When running was still fun, I used to have 3 pairs. Trainers, speed days and races. The sneaks may have been a little tired.
Did you put in fresh beds before the race?

Thanks!

Strava says i had 85 miles on the shoes when i started the day! I've been alternating two pairs
for training. They are different models - which is a suggestion by the running community to prevent repetitive motion injuries.
The other pair has 290 on them - i had them earlier.
I tried to buy race-day shoes, but was unable to find a comfortable pair for my pizza-slice shaped feet.
The 5k and 10k races are done in trail flats, but they are too thin for long road.
I think i did the philly half in my VFFs ? what was i thinking? (see my fantasy football team for a clue)

No new footbeds - didn't even consider that!

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
As it happens, my Mukluk (aka the SnowDog) is a size small. You're welcome to borrow it so she can pay off that bet. It even had platforms on it. :) Kick Ass Pat!

So Pat, is your coach going to make good on the bet? My Mukluk size small is at your disposal if needed.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pat,

I really enjoyed reading this adventure of yours. I did a half a few years ago, haven't really run since. I'm making the assumption that at some point I'm going to want to do a full Marathon just to cross it off the list.

I like how you followed the process and took it to the end with good success.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The Day After -

Fell into a deep sleep last night. Relatively early. I may have seen the beginning of the evening football game, or not.

Of course i wake-up at 3:45 and can't get back to sleep. Took some asprin, drank some more water.

My head is a little swimmy - like after a plane ride that did a quick descent.

Not feeling too badly today physically - the spot where i got stung in the side of knee/tendon area still hurts.
The vastus medialis are hurting! These are usually the first to cramp when i bike too. Maybe i should
think about specific exercises to strengthen them.

View attachment 78448

@seanrunnette - Nipples are good, a little sensitive. There is some chaffing near my collar bone from the front of the shirt collar being wet.
And we spoke about toes. Thought i had it under control. Must have left a little too much nail.
The big toe already had a black nail - i just added some bruising. 1st toe has a nice blood blister, second toe turned black and has some bruising in front.
Lovely!

somewhere between my toes and my nipples is also chaffed. luckily no bleeding (and no pictures.)

I'm not sure lycra is the way to go on a distance run - at least for guys.

----

pounded down some eggs and meats this morning. Couple cups of coffee, muffin, and two bananas.
The sun is out in Chicago, and it is almost time to do some exploring!
That toe picture
tenor.gif

I know this gif is over done, but holy grossness. But good job, I really can't relate to if this is a good time or similar to your sourlands road climbing times.

Looking forward to you getting some HT time in now that you crippled your foot.

Patrick

Staff member
That toe picture
tenor.gif

I know this gif is over done, but holy grossness. But good job, I really can't relate to if this is a good time or similar to your sourlands road climbing times.

Looking forward to you getting some HT time in now that you crippled your foot.

I'd say it is similar time. Standing on the top of the bottom rung looking up.

My foot modeling career ended a long time ago.

Patrick

Staff member
So Pat, is your coach going to make good on the bet? My Mukluk size small is at your disposal if needed.

She claims the qfactor on a fat bike bothers her. Thanks for the offer! This complicates things. She is a bit accident prone, so id like to find something forgiving and slow!

@sarcaro what do you think?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow, congratulations! That foot looks more like frostbite than...anything I wanna know about. Anyway, badass job. Running does suck.

Patrick

Staff member
Toe nail update!

Big toe: Nail is hanging by the cuticle/matrix. I might just have it removed, cause it will never heal.

-

Lined up for another 5k this weekend. It was at a vinyard, so the crowd was going to be mixed.
this was all on the cinder/dirt roads - which were in decent shape. not too many rocks or ruts.
a couple muddy areas, but avoidable. A little bit of elevation change, nothing too bad.

spent most of the run in 6th place. Couldn't hold on to the 5th place athlete after the 2 mile mark.
couple others decided to sprint the finish (they were lurking behind me most of the race), i didn't
have it in me, as i could feel the fatigue of last week's race - 22:47 so took 8th of 507.
I didn't see the detailed results, so have no idea how many people went sub 25 minutes.

running downhill, trying not to fall on my face!
IMG_2367.jpg

qclabrat

Toe nail update!

Big toe: Nail is hanging by the cuticle/matrix. I might just have it removed, cause it will never heal.

-

Lined up for another 5k this weekend. It was at a vinyard, so the crowd was going to be mixed.
this was all on the cinder/dirt roads - which were in decent shape. not too many rocks or ruts.
a couple muddy areas, but avoidable. A little bit of elevation change, nothing too bad.

spent most of the run in 6th place. Couldn't hold on to the 5th place athlete after the 2 mile mark.
couple others decided to sprint the finish (they were lurking behind me most of the race), i didn't
have it in me, as i could feel the fatigue of last week's race - 22:47 so took 8th of 507.
I didn't see the detailed results, so have no idea how many people went sub 25 minutes.

running downhill, trying not to fall on my face!
View attachment 78877
good effort there, what were your 5K times before you started training for Chicago? Haven't been under 24 in years, time to start running, thanks for the inspiring posts Pat

Top Bottom