chain issue

Danimal

I'm having a chain issue and not exactly sure where to go from here. If i bounce on the rear the upper section of chain will slacken and hit the chain stay.. Anytime i ratchet the pedals while pumping the suspension the same thing happens which causes the chain to drop off the chain ring eventually. I can weight the rear while stationary and back pedal and the chain basically just slackens without moving. Everything seems to be spinning freely and suspension is tight. Just installed brand new chain and cassette hoping it would solve the issue and it has not. I'm leaning toward maybe the wheel bearings binding slightly, any suggestions aside from buying a new bike which will definitely solve my issue?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm having a chain issue and not exactly sure where to go from here. If i bounce on the rear the upper section of chain will slacken and hit the chain stay.. Anytime i ratchet the pedals while pumping the suspension the same thing happens which causes the chain to drop off the chain ring eventually. I can weight the rear while stationary and back pedal and the chain basically just slackens without moving. Everything seems to be spinning freely and suspension is tight. Just installed brand new chain and cassette hoping it would solve the issue and it has not. I'm leaning toward maybe the wheel bearings binding slightly, any suggestions aside from buying a new bike which will definitely solve my issue?
Does the freewheel spin without resistance when back pedaling? How about the jockey wheels?

Danimal

everything spins freely. if i have the bike in the air and spin the wheel by hand it will spin for a long time. I may bring it to the shop tomorrow to get their thoughts

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
everything spins freely. if i have the bike in the air and spin the wheel by hand it will spin for a long time. I may bring it to the shop tomorrow to get their thoughts
When the bike is on the ground and you backpedal, does the chain slack?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
without a load on the suspension the chain will properly rotate when back peddled. Drivetrain is Sram X0/X1 on my Niner WFO

cogs not seated correctly? something must be pivoting/interfering -
as you sit on the bike, see if the alignment changes with the cogs.

Danimal

so,after some more investigating it looks like its something in the hub. Wheel spins freely and there's no play at all. without the chain on you can feel the hub bind while trying to rotate with any weight on it. Where can i get a good deal on a set of non boost 29" rims??

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
so,after some more investigating it looks like its something in the hub. Wheel spins freely and there's no play at all. without the chain on you can feel the hub bind while trying to rotate with any weight on it. Where can i get a good deal on a set of non boost 29" rims??

break it down - you can fix it!
youtube will probably be your friend here.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’m having a very similar issue and was thinking it might be the hub... did you ever pinpoint the problem?

Danimal

Yes. There was a spacer that was worn in the hub body that caused the binding. I dropped it at my lbs for them to figure it out and glad I did or I'd prob still be scratching my head over it

Top Bottom