San Diego / La Jolla?

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looking for trail recommendations and nearby bike shops to rent for an afternoon. Riding with an mtb beginner who has fitness.

bucknejo

Black Mountain Cycles in La Jolla - caters to mountain biking

Or... UC Cycles in SD. Gary Reiner or Dave Sadeghi (owner) - this comes from a friend that lives out there now

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Mission Trails isn’t far but you would need to drive there. It is wide open double trail mostly with ups and downs.

Noble Canyon is an IMBA epic and about and hour drive. Long climb up (hour +) but a good rip down.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Some threads I have posted in previously:
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/san-diego-riding.29387/
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/san-diego-mtb-recommendations.41472/

Mission Trails is closest to downtown San Diego, but as @stb222 says, it's pretty much all fire roads and wasn't particularly exciting. I seem to recall some single track there that was probably off limits to bikes, but I don't really remember. I remember liking Sweetwater a lot, and it's pretty beginner friendly. There is some solid climbing, but I don't think there was any tech/rocks.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/149666735

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Mission Trails isn’t far but you would need to drive there. It is wide open double trail mostly with ups and downs.

Noble Canyon is an IMBA epic and about and hour drive. Long climb up (hour +) but a good rip down.

This is true. When I rode out there last year, I rented a bike from The Bike Revolution downtown (near the Gaslight District) and drove out to Noble Canyon. It's a long but easy drive - basically you're on three highways the whole time. The climb is mostly a paved pathway, but it is long - over 5 miles. Once you get to the top, though, you don't need a chain for the most part - it's downhill the whole way back on singletrack. Fun stuff but didn't feel like I was really doing a typical "ride" - it was just a slog to the top followed by coasting. Aside from a few rocky sections ont eh descent, it required no MTB skill at all. Here is the profile when I rode:

Noble Canyon.JPG

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
This is true. When I rode out there last year, I rented a bike from The Bike Revolution downtown (near the Gaslight District) and drove out to Noble Canyon. It's a long but easy drive - basically you're on three highways the whole time. The climb is mostly a paved pathway, but it is long - over 5 miles. Once you get to the top, though, you don't need a chain for the most part - it's downhill the whole way back on singletrack. Fun stuff but didn't feel like I was really doing a typical "ride" - it was just a slog to the top followed by coasting. Aside from a few rocky sections ont eh descent, it required no MTB skill at all. Here is the profile when I rode:

View attachment 74830
Man, some of that short tech stuff next to the ravines was death if you tipped over.

Did you go in the cave/old mine?

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Man, some of that short tech stuff next to the ravines was death if you tipped over.

Did you go in the cave/old mine?

No - I didn't see a mine - was that near the last tech section? I did see a group hiking over in one spot just off the trail around there.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
No - I didn't see a mine - was that near the last tech section? I did see a group hiking over in one spot just off the trail around there.
It was pretty close to the one parking lot, somewhere near the bottom

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Following this thread... I’m in La Jolla for work about 5 times a year. I’ve found tons of great hiking but can never find any info on bike friendly trails. The terrain seems perfect for an epic trail... somebody go build one.

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Following this thread... I’m in La Jolla for work about 5 times a year. I’ve found tons of great hiking but can never find any info on bike friendly trails. The terrain seems perfect for an epic trail... somebody go build one.
Hiking is my Plan B ... what do you recommend?

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hiking is my Plan B ... what do you recommend?
Torrey Pines is always fun if only for the views. It’s basically across the street from my job site so I usually hit it up. It’s very “moderate” hiking... tourist friendly trails with guard rails and such... but still an absolutely beautiful park.

I did some epic off the grid hiking not far away from there with a work buddy but I don’t have any info on it...I’ll see if I can find out.

Top Bottom