5th Annual Skyline Shuttle / 2018 edition

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
The annual TOS shuttle is a point-to-point XC ride that starts at the Top of Skyline Drive in Oakland, NJ. We work our way across the Ramapo/Ringwood trail into Ringwood State Park, where we hit many of the best stuff.

This is a one-way ride. We leave cars on Sterling Mine Rd (see GPS below) and shuttle back to the Top of Skyline, where snacks and a cooler full of beer await. Not having to climb all the way back up to the Top of Skyline makes this ride more accessible.

Don’t get me wrong- this is a challenging ride with many technical trails and some good climbs. You definitely need to be in shape. The pace will be moderate/ intermediate with short breaks when needed.

PM or post up if you plan to attend. Vehicle logistics will be figured out closer to the date when we have a solid head count. Hope to see you there!

Date/Time: Sunday, September 9th @ 10:00am

Total Distance: ~16 miles
Total Time: ~4 hours
Total Elevation: ~1800’

Starting Point
Skyline Drive, NJ / Ramapo Lot
GPS: 41.047831, -74.251615

Ending Point
Sterling Mine Rd, NY
GPS: 41.150510, -74.237685
Shuttle Map.jpg

Last edited:

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
this sounds like an awesome ride, unfortunately i already have plans for that weekend, ill have to get the gpx file from you so i can still do the ride at some point.

jerzey111

I'm going to try to make this. Still too far for def answer

Edit. I have a pickup truck with tailgate cover with 6 straps if it helps w/ logistics

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
The annual TOS shuttle is a point-to-point XC ride that starts at the Top of Skyline Drive in Oakland, NJ. This year I'm adding Sterling Forest for more milage and awesomeness. First part of this ride is very technical and rocky as we work our way across the Ramapo/Ringwood trail into Ringwood State Park. From there we ride down to Ringwood Manor and the new crossover trail into NY State. The second half of the ride starts with a quick 2-mile road ride to Sterling Forest, where we'll complete an 8-mile loop.

This is a one-way ride. We leave cars at South Gate in Sterling Forest and shuttle back to the Top of Skyline, where snacks and a cooler full of brew await! Technical riding skills and decent fitness are highly recommended. Pace is steady with short breaks when needed. Vehicle logistics will be figured out closer to the date when we have a solid head count. Hope to see you there!

Date/Time: Sunday, September 9th @ 10:00am

Total Distance: ~20 miles
Total Time: ~5 hours
Total Elevation: ~2400’

Starting Point
Skyline Drive, NJ / Ramapo Lot
GPS: 41.047831, -74.251615

Ending Point
Sterling Forest NY / South Gate Trailhead
GPS: 41.176653, -74.227103

View attachment 74647
@Riggedfmx

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Please note changes to the ride itinerary. Same date and time, I'm just changing the route a bit. Post up or PM me if you can make it. Cheers!
2018 TOS Map .jpg

Last edited:

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
The ride is fast approaching. Post up if you think you're in. We've got 6 riders so far.

And I just got back from Maine with a few cases of craft brew! :cool:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Good to see you will hit race course switchbacks. We have been doing some work there and I think everyone will enjoy that trail. Ringwood with the Sterling loop together may be more than 2500 ft climbing. Just saying. The crews at Sterling are almost done with the loop that will eliminate the wet fire road. That could make this loop even more epic for next year.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Looks like a great route Antonio. Have done something similar before and it was a blast. I will be riding the NYCC that day however but otherwise would offer to sweep. It’s good to see you hitting the tough trails again. Have fun!

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Good to see you will hit race course switchbacks. We have been doing some work there and I think everyone will enjoy that trail. Ringwood with the Sterling loop together may be more than 2500 ft climbing. Just saying. The crews at Sterling are almost done with the loop that will eliminate the wet fire road. That could make this loop even more epic for next year.
You guys have done amazing work on the Ringwood trails. THANK YOU!

I decided to take Sterling out for this ride. Next year for sure when it's complete. There's plenty in Ringwood to explore. I know my way so I'll adapt as we move along. I know folks need to get back to their families so I'm going to try and keep the ride to 4 hours.

Mathers

How will we work the shuttle? I have van and could fit 5 people without bikes.
I am also trying to get a couple more riders if that's cool.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
How will we work the shuttle? I have van and could fit 5 people without bikes.
I am also trying to get a couple more riders if that's cool.
Not sure yet. Depends on how many trucks and/or bike racks we have. I can cram 5 bikes and 5 people (including me) in my truck. Someone will need to pick me and my bike up around 9:30am to take us to the start. The same for the other shuttle drivers. We’ll have to figure it out before that weekend.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Starting a head count of confirmed...
  • me
  • jerzey111
  • Mathers (and friends?)
  • Mare45
  • Jim Brochin
  • Rob M
  • Rob W

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I am not sure I can do the whole ride, but I may be able to run a shuttle. I will confirm Friday morning.

Top Bottom