Installing press fit BB anti-seize, pipe dope, grease, or...?

Tim

aka sptimmy43
So I am about to replace my press fit bottom bracket. I have read that for the best result (creak free) that I should use anti-seize between the bearing and bb shell. I have also heard that teflon pipe dope is the way to go. Of course, there is also regular grease or I could press the bearings in dry.

Any insight would be most appreciated!

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is it too late to return the bike and get something better with a threaded BB?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My last like 10 bikes had PF BBs and I've never had an issue with creaking. I use whatever grease I have laying around. I ran whatever SRAM PFBB from Amazon, or CK, or Kogel.

RetroGrouch

Grease on a press fit only masks relative movement by making it silent. Once movement starts, wear and corrosion are significant problem. I suggest you use a retaining compound such as one of the green Loctite products.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Instal it correctly and it wont creak. If you want to convert to threaded, install a Praxxis and say good by to troubles. Or get a kogel and forget issues. If you are running the $50 sram one, that is also part of your issue.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
The bike has a 92mm x 41mm bb shell in the frame (BB92) but it came with Race Face Cinch 30mm cranks (not 24mm cranks typically used with a BB92). I want to keep the cranks for now. So I ended up getting the Hope PF4130 which looks identical to the Enduro and Wheels Manufacturing version and very similar to the Praxxis. The bearings press directly into the frame with no internal sleeve or cups. Apparently this allows larger, more durable bearings to be used than the original Race Face BB92. A threaded version is not available in the 41x30 configuration. If I get 24mm cranks I could go that route but then my cost would go way up as I would have to buy new cranks.

My question came from the fact that I have never installed a press fit BB before and when doing research I came across several recommendations for the proper way to install one including pressed in dry, with grease, with green loctite, with teflon pipe dope, and with anti-seize. So that pretty much made it clear as mud to determine the actual correct way to install it.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
as a mechanical design engineer whenever we design a pressfit we do one of two things, (pressfit is by definition an interference fit) either have enough interference that a freeze cycle is needed on the bushing to get it to press into the opening properly, or (as is the case with the bottom bracket, i would imagine) have a light interference and use loctite retaining compound, loctite #680

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The bike has a 92mm x 41mm bb shell in the frame (BB92) but it came with Race Face Cinch 30mm cranks (not 24mm cranks typically used with a BB92). I want to keep the cranks for now. So I ended up getting the Hope PF4130 which looks identical to the Enduro and Wheels Manufacturing version and very similar to the Praxxis. The bearings press directly into the frame with no internal sleeve or cups. Apparently this allows larger, more durable bearings to be used than the original Race Face BB92. A threaded version is not available in the 41x30 configuration. If I get 24mm cranks I could go that route but then my cost would go way up as I would have to buy new cranks.

My question came from the fact that I have never installed a press fit BB before and when doing research I came across several recommendations for the proper way to install one including pressed in dry, with grease, with green loctite, with teflon pipe dope, and with anti-seize. So that pretty much made it clear as mud to determine the actual correct way to install it.
If there is only one thing you have your LBS do, this is it.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I have no advice other than it's a good move tossing those Race Face bearings in the trash. That's exactly where they belong. Their cinch BBs are shit.

Xler8

So that pretty much made it clear as mud to determine the actual correct way to install it.

I went thru the same when trying to decide what would better when replacing a headset. Come to find out everyone has their own take on what is better.

The Loctite option seemed a little too permanent for me, Teflon seemed a little weird, so between grease and anti seize I opted for a little grease. So far so good...

Not sure dry would be a better approach in either material; alloy or carbon.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I went thru the same when trying to decide what would better when replacing a headset. Come to find out everyone has their own take on what is better.

The Loctite option seemed a little too permanent for me, Teflon seemed a little weird, so between grease and anti seize I opted for a little grease. So far so good...

Not sure dry would be a better approach in either material; alloy or carbon.

So it seems like the consensus out on the interwebs is that grease or anti-seize (and I suppose teflon for that matter) will mask any potential creaking. Loctite 609 (green) will prevent creaking if the bearings are pressed in correctly. As @shrpshtr325 previously pointed out, the press fit installations on bicycles are mild interference fits. The source of any creaking is movement and that is why Loctite seems to be the preferred method of installation.

Of course, I have already pressed the bearings in with anti-seize. Doh! I guess there is always next time to do it right.

Top Bottom