2018 H2H Bulldog Rump (Kittatinny)

johnnyrides

I’m curious If those two big logs will be removed from the course. I’m assuming the downed tree in the second half will be removed. Also, hope there’s some warning prior to passing under that one tree early on the course. At speed and in a large group that’s an accident waiting to happen.

I wouldn’t expect any change from last Saturday. Guys on the ride who are local and ride there often stated they’ve been there a while (except the downed tree), they like them just as they are, and there would be general angst if they were removed. But I guess we’ll see because at least 60% will need to get off their bike for those 2 log rolls. The downed tree should go.

terrabike01

Agreed @johnnyrides , after all... this is mountain biking. :)

Will report back with my useless opinion after riding the course tomorrow.
Watch out for that tree about 4-5 ft off the ground that is across the trail about a mile in. That comes up fast and should really go or be well marked somehow. Thats going to break some noses or knock some teeth out if your riding someones butt and dont duck.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Agreed.... someone hit it on the pre-ride. I can't imagine being full gas and having to worry about that. It's head height. The two trees on the ground should go too.

Jeffreywoliver

Agreed.... someone hit it on the pre-ride. I can't imagine being full gas and having to worry about that. It's head height. The two trees on the ground should go too.

I was mainly talking about that widow maker too. I almost hit it both times on the pre-ride. It needs to be marked as a hazard for sure. At speed it will come up fast. Not sure what people love about big ass logs that basically destroy your chainrings. Seems like a penis measuring sort of thing to me, but hey, I’m new to MTBing and know that people get bent about cutting logs. There are few spots on the course I will dismount anyway, so no biggie. I assumed the fallen tree will be removed. Regardless, I like the course and am looking forward to the race.

maxxis

logs in blue trail has been cleared including that "4-5 ft off the ground" and that in red trail uphill, this morning. The "widow maker" still there.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not sure what people love about big ass logs that basically destroy your chainrings. Seems like a penis measuring sort of thing to me
That is, hands down, the weirdest, most painful way to measure a penis I've ever heard of. You were born to race MTB :)

Reactions: LND

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not sure what people love about big ass logs that basically destroy your chainrings.

You're not supposed to hit your chainring on the log, and we love them for the same reason that we love ridiculous rock gardens that look like they would be impossible to ride your bike through ;)

Having not seen the logs in question though, I would guess they should probably be removed for the race.

xc62701

I was there this morning and there were definitely a few that need to be removed. The one on the downhill just before the road crossing was being cleared as I left. They were using a pole saw for a good 12” diameter tree. I was doubtful they were actually gonna get it cleared in time for the race. Even better was there were 6 other guys watching the one guy work.

xc62701

Logs are good cross practice! dismount....remount.
The ones on the ground aren’t bad but the overhead ones should be cleared and definitely the one that will spike someone in the face just before the field crossing.

DownhillR3

Was there this morning and the low tree on Blue trail I can see being an unnecessary danger that should be removed for everyone's safety. It looked like a lot of logs were freshly cut on the red trail (0-1mile in to course after the sharp left.) Sounds like this was removed after I left today, got there at 9:10am.

Also, the log after the downhill on Blue trail (I think) just after the road crossing where the trail has no real passing opportunities and no rocks built up/over it will definitely cause bottlenecks. Not saying to remove it but building up to make it roll able would be smart. But who am I to make these judgements?

@Jeffreywoliver it's not so much a penis contest but some of us who don't have roadie lungs and only tech MTB skills need obstacles to slow down the fast guys so we have a chance on easy courses. ;)

This is first XC race in a decade, hope to see some familiar faces out there this weekend!

xc62701

Also, the log after the downhill on Blue trail (I think) just after the road crossing where the trail has no real passing opportunities and no rocks built up/over it will definitely cause bottlenecks. Not saying to remove it but building up to make it roll able would be smart. But who am I to make these judgements?

I like to ride logs and that one just isn’t worth the reward. It would be faster to dismount and run it but I’m hoping it’s temoved by race day. Word is there is going to be some trail work this Saturday to polish up the course for Sunday.

xc62701

Agreed @xc62701

Think we all need to remember the Bulldog crew has been hosting this event for many years, everyone can banter all day long but in the end they will provide a safe course for everyone, not their first rodeo.
Exactly. Promoters need to manage risk and they will make sure it’s good to go. It rides well and fast!

xc62701

Good news! I was there this morning even before the course marking and trail maintenance crew was getting out there and all the trees that people are worried about including the face dagger have all been cleared! It will be a completely different park tomorrow for race day.

Top Bottom