Deraileur cable lube

cbiker

Anyone know anything to help lubricate a sticky deraileur cable? Ive tried a couple things and they always make my cable stick worse; then i end up buying new housing which works but id rather be able to spray somthing on to make it shift easier.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
If trying to nurse along an old bike with gummed up cables I've found a good penetrating oil works well.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any non-waxy, light lube is usually fine. Not as light/runny as T9. Just a drop or two at the shifter side is plenty. Full length housing helps a ton if it’s not already.

Karate Monkey

[...] i end up buying new housing which works but id rather be able to spray somthing on to make it shift easier.

You've already found the correct answer. Cables get sticky because crap gets in the housing/the cable wears grooves into the liner/the cable corrodes (not really a problem with stainless cables...). They can be temporarily revived with a super light, mostly solvent-based lubricant. Blowing the housing out/rubbing the cable down with steel wool/some other abrasive works a little longer, but it doesn't 'fix' the problem.

cbiker

Cables arent too old just get dusty and sticky. Looked around on the internet and ordered some bike aid dry slide and see how it works.

cbiker

This dry slide works pretty good its alittle messy to put on but the cables are better then new. Hopefully its durable.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I only use Shimano sp41 housing nowadays and I never have any issues. It's a huge improvement over whatever it replaces every time. I never need to lube the cables unless I throw my bike in a river.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I only use Shimano sp41 housing nowadays and I never have any issues. It's a huge improvement over whatever it replaces every time. I never need to lube the cables unless I throw my bike in a river.
Do you use their cables with the coating? I started having issues with when the coating peels off and then having up shifting issues because it isn’t releasing the cable as smooths because of jammed up coating at the furells (sp?)

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do you use their cables with the coating? I started having issues with when the coating peels off and then having up shifting issues because it isn’t releasing the cable as smooths because of jammed up coating at the furells (sp?)

I do, And I haven't had any issues

Karate Monkey

If you read the fine print really closely, you have to use nosed ferrules anywhere the housing breaks. caveat emptor

Karate Monkey

yeah, i use what shimano included, including the nose. Isn't a big deal., just wont buy their cables again.

Yeah, they fuzz regardless of what you do, in my experience, but I'm sure they assume you'll replace them after every season, being Dura Ace/XTR stuff, and all.

The green Teflon cables work almost as well, imo, without restrictions.

Top Bottom