rick81721

Lothar
Dang looks like thunderstorms could hit right around 2. What happens, demo rides up and down jaques rd or it just gets cancelled?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
If this happens.... can someone ask SC what size saddle they put on their L bikes?
Specifically on the Hightower which has a WTB Volt

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Been out digging since this am. Dirt is dry.

Shoot for 3 I’m thinking

The van is already there. Lance Trappe is there look him up. Good dude.
3349413F-E22C-4ACA-B5FF-D2C0C091F8F2.png
DD50DC20-E45E-48AC-9BA1-8B9C0AB5C06B.jpeg
9856B661-53CF-4CBA-AE71-8CCC97E848CA.jpeg
3E422694-231A-4957-B699-72301D6D309E.jpeg
32C5104F-63C9-4CC9-BAAB-BF3C46141E64.jpeg
FCA07EBE-9070-4A17-82BC-D533A4F5F41F.jpeg
3349413F-E22C-4ACA-B5FF-D2C0C091F8F2.png
3E422694-231A-4957-B699-72301D6D309E.jpeg
32C5104F-63C9-4CC9-BAAB-BF3C46141E64.jpeg

Last edited:

jtrain

Great opportunity to try some bikes far out of my price range on familiar trails (newly refurbished white - thanks jdog). Thanks to Halters and others who made this possible. Any plans for other manufacturers to do the same at 6mile?

qclabrat

Great opportunity to try some bikes far out of my price range on familiar trails (newly refurbished white - thanks jdog). Thanks to Halters and others who made this possible. Any plans for other manufacturers to do the same at 6mile?
I'm also surprised to not see more of these, especially from the boutique brands. Know Pivot did one earlier up north. There are so many good bikes nowadays, its seems these demo days are really necessary to differentiate themselves, not all makers have hug marketing engines and these demos are relatively cheap in comparison. I'd love to see companies like Turner, Yeti and Intense do some of these.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I'm also surprised to not see more of these, especially from the boutique brands. Know Pivot did one earlier up north. There are so many good bikes nowadays, its seems these demo days are really necessary to differentiate themselves, not all makers have hug marketing engines and these demos are relatively cheap in comparison. I'd love to see companies like Turner, Yeti and Intense do some of these.

Most of these companies barely have the cash flow to get product manufactured, yet alone pay several hundred thousand dollars to build a truck and drive bikes around. Especially when all the participants are just looking for a deal on whatever they rode afterwards anyway.

jdog

Shop Keep
Will the new Hightower in an XXL be available?
I’d highly doubt it. They told me that we got one of only 200 made in the first run.

I could be wrong though.

In any case they will have a few XXL bikes and if you are over 6’-2” it’s always good to get on a XXL to see what it’s like to ride a bike that actually fits you.

For some reason this year I’ve been working with many customers who are very tall and very short. In both cases they resist riding bikes that are big or small enough to fit them. I would guess that after riding the wrong size for so long, the correct fit actually feels weird.

The wheelsize debate also rolls on and I personally feel that a 5’-0” person and a 6-0” person likely should not ride the same wheel size.

As a side, I just rode a 22” wheeled BMX bike for the first time at the port jervis pump track. It felt awesome.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Most of these companies barely have the cash flow to get product manufactured, yet alone pay several hundred thousand dollars to build a truck and drive bikes around. Especially when all the participants are just looking for a deal on whatever they rode afterwards anyway.

I can't imagine the money pit the demo trucks are. Labor, hotels, the truck, food expenses, etc etc. And most people are probably not actually interested in the bikes.

Honestly there needs to be a better system anyway. As much as it's great to have a demo day at Six Mile, it's not where I figure out if the Bronson or Nomad is the bike for me.

I'd like to see more potential customers do the demo bike from the store, even if it costs money. If I'm buying a 3k bike I'd by happy to spend $50 per demo from a few different brands to see what works. A local store will more likely have bikes that are applicable to the area.

Otherwise it's worth a trip to a big event like NEMBAFest or Raystown to try out a ton of bikes, but then again those trails don't replicate my home trails.

I was lucky enough that JDog lent me a Tallboy for basically a month for me to try out and I got to ride it at a bunch of parks in North Jersey. At first the bike felt horrible but needed to be setup for me. A regular demo and I would have hated the bike. But after adjusting suspension, cockpit placement, etc I found the bike to be wonderful. For me.

jdog

Shop Keep
I can't imagine the money pit the demo trucks are. Labor, hotels, the truck, food expenses, etc etc. And most people are probably not actually interested in the bikes.

Honestly there needs to be a better system anyway. As much as it's great to have a demo day at Six Mile, it's not where I figure out if the Bronson or Nomad is the bike for me.

I'd like to see more potential customers do the demo bike from the store, even if it costs money. If I'm buying a 3k bike I'd by happy to spend $50 per demo from a few different brands to see what works. A local store will more likely have bikes that are applicable to the area.

Otherwise it's worth a trip to a big event like NEMBAFest or Raystown to try out a ton of bikes, but then again those trails don't replicate my home trails.

I was lucky enough that JDog lent me a Tallboy for basically a month for me to try out and I got to ride it at a bunch of parks in North Jersey. At first the bike felt horrible but needed to be setup for me. A regular demo and I would have hated the bike. But after adjusting suspension, cockpit placement, etc I found the bike to be wonderful. For me.

While I see you point and recognize the validity of your concerns, I see it a little differently. A LOT of people never ride the technical stuff in NJ. That said 6mr is the actual terrain where many people ride the most. If this is the case, it’s a great service to let people ride bikes with various amounts travel to see what is in fact too much bike for these trails. I can’t tell you how often I see people on way way to much bike at 6mr.

With SC specifically, they make so many bikes that it isn’t hard to buy too much travel, the wrong wheel size or worse yet, the wrong sized bike. These demo events should help people make more educate decisions on what they need, even if it is another brand.

I often see people come to these events with 10plus yr old bikes in hand. In many cases they just don’t seem to understand that the new stuff is in fact better. They are on 26” wheels with rim brakes, clapped out suspension and bald tires. These demos are often shocking to them for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I hope to see many famiar faces on sat. Come see what the hype is about. Please share with me what you hunk of the bikes you test. I’m always curious what people like the most.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
While I see you point and recognize the validity of your concerns, I see it a little differently. A LOT of people never ride the technical stuff in NJ. That said 6mr is the actual terrain where many people ride the most. If this is the case, it’s a great service to let people ride bikes with various amounts travel to see what is in fact too much bike for these trails. I can’t tell you how often I see people on way way to much bike at 6mr.

With SC specifically, they make so many bikes that it isn’t hard to buy too much travel, the wrong wheel size or worse yet, the wrong sized bike. These demo events should help people make more educate decisions on what they need, even if it is another brand.

I often see people come to these events with 10plus yr old bikes in hand. In many cases they just don’t seem to understand that the new stuff is in fact better. They are on 26” wheels with rim brakes, clapped out suspension and bald tires. These demos are often shocking to them for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I hope to see many famiar faces on sat. Come see what the hype is about. Please share with me what you hunk of the bikes you test. I’m always curious what people like the most.

Good points, won't disagree.

I definitely agree on the too much travel. I see way too many people on 35lb long travel bikes that mostly ride at parks like Six Mile or Allaire. They'd be better off on a bike that suits them more.

I'll be at Kingdom on Saturday, otherwise I'd love to try a Highball/Chameleon/Blur at the demo.

Top Bottom