Someones disturbing the trails

pkovo

Just riding Springside and encountered 2 guys with a tractor and a cart pulling rocks off the stone row 10 yards North of the rock garden. At first I assumed it was trailbuilding, but as I approached it clearly wasnt.

They had made the beginning of the rock garden impassable because they turned up a large boulder there. Other than that the existing trail was undisturbed, but they were essentially cutting in new paths with their tractor to get there. At first they denied that they messed up the trail saying someone else must have done it...uh ok. I explained these are town trails etc and they were getting really nervous.

I think it was honestly two guys just grabbing rocks for landscaping or something having no idea they were right next to mtb trails, but thats a guess. They were moving that large boulder as I left but I was hesitant to get any more confrontational by myself.

I alerted some guys I ride with more in tune with the trailbuilders here, but wanted to put this out so if anyone ia more in the know they can alert the right folks.

That rockgarden was undisturbed yesterday so it just happened in past 24 hrs

rick81721

Lothar
Just riding Springside and encountered 2 guys with a tractor and a cart pulling rocks off the stone row 10 yards North of the rock garden. At first I assumed it was trailbuilding, but as I approached it clearly wasnt.

They had made the beginning of the rock garden impassable because they turned up a large boulder there. Other than that the existing trail was undisturbed, but they were essentially cutting in new paths with their tractor to get there. At first they denied that they messed up the trail saying someone else must have done it...uh ok. I explained these are town trails etc and they were getting really nervous.

I think it was honestly two guys just grabbing rocks for landscaping or something having no idea they were right next to mtb trails, but thats a guess. They were moving that large boulder as I left but I was hesitant to get any more confrontational by myself.

I alerted some guys I ride with more in tune with the trailbuilders here, but wanted to put this out so if anyone ia more in the know they can alert the right folks.

That rockgarden was undisturbed yesterday so it just happened in past 24 hrs

That blows. I would've called the town and reported it - it's basically stealing from town property

pkovo

I hope it was only a few guys grabbing rocks. I mean, that's what it looked like, but you never know....could be a couple of fools trying to cut in 4 wheeler trails or something. which would be far worse.

I didn't want jump right to calling the town. Would rather let the guys that build/police these trails make that call. I think they do a good job and I believe they work relatively closely with the town. I texted the guys I ride with and I think the message has been relayed.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
In this area there's million other spots that would be much easier to get a rock from. This seems pretty fishy

pkovo

In this area there's million other spots that would be much easier to get a rock from. This seems pretty fishy

Depends where you're building your wall. I'd be willing to bet their "tractor path" can be traced back to a house on Herman Thau or Craig Rd. Probably a house with a half built rock retaining wall somewhere. :p

ilnadi

We'll be there this afternoon, take a look. If 20 kids & adults coming thru does not scare them off we'll need that trimmer-on-a-long-stick from last weekend at 6MR. We also have a few gopro wearers just in case...

ilnadi

well, we didn't make it to the rock garden today. hope someone reports what the heck happened.

ilnadi

I was there yesterday (good conditions overall, had to walk past 3 puddles). Both rock gardens at the top of the switchbacks looked the same as before, so not sure what they moved.

qclabrat

I was trying to remember where I saw a feature which jumps over a small creek. Was it at Nassau or Six Mile?

Jeffreywoliver

This is old news but it was indeed a property owner on Herman Thau. The appear to have stopped after being confronted about it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The less technical side of Nassau on the other side of the road.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions