Help with high limit screw set up on a Sram X01 RD

echappy

My bike has a helluva time shifting to the 10T from 11T. Even without any tension on the cable, it's somewhat reluctant to do this. When I bolt down the cable, it's almost impossible. Shifting between the other 10 gears operates just fine, and shifting from 10T to 11T is fine, but the chain is reluctant to drop down to the 10T. When it would do so, it is quite clunky and jarring.

When I first got the bike, i realized that there was an unnecessary bend between the chain stay exit and the RD, and that this was really messing up the shifting (in the other gears). Making that particular section straighter improved shifting of the other gears, but not 11T to 10T. I'm wondering if there may be other friction points somewhere of which I'm not aware? Any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Mr.Moto

From what you are describing in the first paragraph it sounds like the high limit screw is not allowing the derailleur to move further out and allow proper shifting from 11 to 10. Have you tried adjusting the high limit out?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
From what you are describing in the first paragraph it sounds like the high limit screw is not allowing the derailleur to move further out and allow proper shifting from 11 to 10. Have you tried adjusting the high limit out?

either that or lack of lubrication - actuate with by hand and lubricate all the pivots - but really sounds like a limit screw adjustment if the cable is slack.
(slack cable means it is sitting on the limit screw)

pictures always help.

echappy

that's a good point; i'll lubricate the pivots. Never had to do this on the road, but perhaps more necessary on the MTB?

As for the high limit, i don't think i could loosen it much more without having the screw fall out. Will give it another try. If this gets annoying enough, I may just go with Di2 and be done with it...

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
On some bikes it may be necessary to run a pedal washer between the derailleur and hanger to allow more movement to the high cog. With Boost rear ends and super wide hubs a lot of derailleurs will bottom out before moving far enough to shift. Most of this was fixed with 12 speed but it still happens.

echappy

On some bikes it may be necessary to run a pedal washer between the derailleur and hanger to allow more movement to the high cog. With Boost rear ends and super wide hubs a lot of derailleurs will bottom out before moving far enough to shift. Most of this was fixed with 12 speed but it still happens.
I was just typing something else before I saw your response, and I think you may be onto something.

Originally, I was going to report that shifting is okay if the rear wheel is un-weighted (so that would be on the stand and when standing on the pedals); however, the chain won't shift if I'm sitting down, and I was about to wonder if this has to do with the fact that the bike is a full suspension, and that additional tension is placed on the cable when sitting down. But the more I think about it, the more I think you are correct, as whatever tension introduced by weighing the rear wheel should affect all gears as opposed to just the 10T.

huffster

It is possible that your derailleur hanger is slightly bent, so that the derailleur won't move far enough out in the HI direction. If you are almost out of adjustment screw, then there is something wrong. You really shouldn't have to have the screw on the verge of falling out.

I've also had an RD or hanger be loose and cause this kind of intermittent problem because it is moving and not holding the same position when adjusting.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
wouldn't hurt to go introduce yourself to Eric (either one) in Hb Madison, or Jim in Hb Summit......
Meaning visit a shop, say hello, get pro look, buy some food or lube, leave happy, with new friends.

bent der, and spacer if bottomed sounds like good advice too.

Last edited:

echappy

wouldn't hurt to go introduce yourself to Eric (either one) in Hb Madison, or Jim in Hb Summit......
Meaning visit a shop, say hello, get pro look, buy some food or lube, leave happy, with new friends.

bent der, and spacer if bottomed sounds like good advice too.
Good suggestion. Actually have already met Eric C. @ Hb Madison, who helped to sort out my road fit.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Think some other thread you have a Trance? Not sure what year but if it's the hanger, I am pretty sure I have a brand new hanger from a 17 Trance somewhere. Free in Wayne if you need it. Lmk and I will look for it.

echappy

Thanks for the offer :). It’s an Anthem Advanced. Perhaps the hanger is the same. Will know more after i take it to Hilltop

Top Bottom