New gravel grinder ride in PA in October: unPAved of the Susquehanna River Valley

wonderturtle

3 options: 30, 90, 120 miles

looks likes the majority is on gravel roads through state forest lands.

the elevation/ grade profile looks, gulp, interesting. rather than the continual up and down of gravel grinders Ive done, this ride is basically 4 loooong climbs followed by even longer downhill sections. the uphill sections are literally miles long, as are the downhill sections.

I'm looking at the 90 mile route.

all together the overall climbing (6000+ or so feet) is in-line with what Ive done, but the overall length of the 4 main climbs combined with the average grade make this ride look like a real challenge (although the max grade 10.4% aint bad):

hill 1: 3.2 miles, 1236 feet, 7.3% average grade
hill 2: 2.9 miles, 953 feet, 6.3% average grade
hill 3: 4.1 miles,1024 feet, 4.8% average grade
hill 4: 4.6 miles, 1037 feet 4.6 average grade

nicely it ends with essentially a 20-mile (mostly) downhill :)

figured others might be interested....

https://ridewithgps.com/events/49395-unpaved-of-the-susquehanna-river-valley#routes/26883399/preview

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is interesting. I went to Bucknell and when I was out there this winter, I noticed the BV Rail Trail was completed. I've also 4-wheeled in Bald Eagle. It's WAY out in the middle of nowhere.

What's the cost? Was there a reg link? The brewery is nice, too, but usually really busy on the weekends.

CX bike or MTB?

jeffstick

JORBA: Waywayanda
JORBA.ORG
There is some great gravel riding out there and the 90 mile option looks like a good option. The 120 mile option adds in a couple of tough sections not only being the climbing but also the roads. Sieglerville Millheim is the opening climb of the 101. Adding in stop options at both Elk Creek and the Rusty Rail makes this even better. Both have great beer and food.

wonderturtle

This one did catch my eye, but yeah, cost is high. It is most likely for a meal at the end that you wont feel like eating because you just flogged yourself.

is pricey. but seems like a pretty unique ride so its tempting.

agree about post-ride meals - I never really enjoy them. I usually cant eat for a few hours after a big effort like this. the post-ride beer is also, sadly, lost on me (I usually down one just cause its there)

rick81721

Lothar
3 options: 30, 90, 120 miles

looks likes the majority is on gravel roads through state forest lands.

the elevation/ grade profile looks, gulp, interesting. rather than the continual up and down of gravel grinders Ive done, this ride is basically 4 loooong climbs followed by even longer downhill sections. the uphill sections are literally miles long, as are the downhill sections.

I'm looking at the 90 mile route.

all together the overall climbing (6000+ or so feet) is in-line with what Ive done, but the overall length of the 4 main climbs combined with the average grade make this ride look like a real challenge (although the max grade 10.4% aint bad):

hill 1: 3.2 miles, 1236 feet, 7.3% average grade
hill 2: 2.9 miles, 953 feet, 6.3% average grade
hill 3: 4.1 miles,1024 feet, 4.8% average grade
hill 4: 4.6 miles, 1037 feet 4.6 average grade

nicely it ends with essentially a 20-mile (mostly) downhill :)

figured others might be interested....

https://ridewithgps.com/events/49395-unpaved-of-the-susquehanna-river-valley#routes/26883399/preview

Seriously considering the 90

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
this looks cool AF. the price is right for 5 fully stocked aid stations. Thats $18 an aid station, plus a meal at the end? how much do you want something like this to cost? free fiddy? plus its in october for all you anti-cx guys?

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT

i imagine its just like an endurance mtb race without the singletrack.

BabyRobot

Not to derail.. Maple City Century in late September is a good gravel ride in the Upper Delaware too. 100mi option had 8500ft of gain last year. Took me 8hrs to finish. It's not on bikereg yet, but Ill be doing it again this year.

Top Bottom