Who likes to smoke their meat?

qclabrat

Just ordered the Maverick.

Not sure why anyone would need the Flame Boss with a BGE. It will hold a steady temp for hours on end without any issues. At least so far.

even cooking, almost all smokers have hot spots
can't go wrong with the 733, let us know how it works out

qclabrat

I have an Assassin smoker. I bought it as second-hand on Craigslist.
Wow, that's a bad ass smoker, do you compete? I've been looking for a used Backwoods or Onyx, but would be more than happy to find an Assassin. High end smokers don't come up much around here on CL.

BTW, what do you think of it and what did you use prior?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
And the picnic ham went on at 11:00 last night - time to check progress.

IMG_7875.JPG

i tried to pan-fry the skin with the fat, but it didn't work. deep fry next time!

IMG_7877.JPG

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
So my wife went to Whole Foods and spent one BTC on a brisket for me to smoke for company this weekend. I usually use some commercial rub that is rather spicy, but trying to go a safer route for other family members. Been researching online about just using a basic salt and pepper rub. There seems to be as much disagreement there as to the proper wheel size for a bike. (2.8" or wider is that answer, btw)

Anybody use a basic S&P rub? The next question becomes measure 50/50 by weight or by volume? Apparently salt is 4x as heavy as crushed pepper and this seems to be the crux of the online argument. How do you do a 50/50 mix, weight or volume?

Anybody?

qclabrat

So my wife went to Whole Foods and spent one BTC on a brisket for me to smoke for company this weekend. I usually use some commercial rub that is rather spicy, but trying to go a safer route for other family members. Been researching online about just using a basic salt and pepper rub. There seems to be as much disagreement there as to the proper wheel size for a bike. (2.8" or wider is that answer, btw)

Anybody use a basic S&P rub? The next question becomes measure 50/50 by weight or by volume? Apparently salt is 4x as heavy as crushed pepper and this seems to be the crux of the online argument. How do you do a 50/50 mix, weight or volume?

Anybody?
me never just S&P, that's reserved for a nice steak
But you are right, it will be too spicy if 50/50. The typical proportion is about 1 teaspoon pepper to 1 tablespoon salt.
If you like your current rub, taste it and compare to the S&P mix you come up with.

what will be your wood mix? I'm guessing temps don't really affect the BGE?...jealous

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
me never just S&P, that's reserved for a nice steak
But you are right, it will be too spicy if 50/50. The typical proportion is about 1 teaspoon pepper to 1 tablespoon salt.
If you like your current rub, taste it and compare to the S&P mix you come up with.

what will be your wood mix? I'm guessing temps don't really affect the BGE?...jealous

Don't be jealous. I'll be up at 6:30AM on Sunday when it's 20 degrees outside playing with my Egg. Rather sleep and order takeout.

Patrick

Staff member
add some mustard, onion, and garlic powder - it helps. Salt can always be added as needed.
my rub ratio is like walters 1 Tbl, 1tsp. The other things i add to spice it up are cayenne and hot paprika - so avoid those (or maybe do some?)

Running salt through a blade grinder helps it stick too. (ie pickling salt)

Enjoy - and while it is work, they will all be amazed by this voodoo talent you possess!

Don't be jealous. I'll be up at 6:30AM on Sunday when it's 20 degrees outside playing with my Egg. Rather sleep and order takeout.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I think it belongs here. Today I learned that parchment paper and wax paper are not the same thing. One of them can go in the oven, and the other cannot. So while I don't necessarily like to smoke my meat, I do apparently like to smoke my kitchen.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I think it belongs here. Today I learned that parchment paper and wax paper are not the same thing. One of them can go in the oven, and the other cannot. So while I don't necessarily like to smoke my meat, I do apparently like to smoke my kitchen.
My girlfriend did this a few weeks ago. I am obviously the better baker.

walter

Fourth Party

A few months back my oldest was at her friends house, the friend offered to make pizza bites or some shit as a snack. They were there alone. The friend fired up the oven, put the snacks on a sheet and threw them in the oven. Unfortunately, her cooking skills/knowledge arent the best and she used a plastic take out container of some sort.

Surprise, new oven.

walter

Fourth Party

Anybody?

I follow a guy on IG, Brooklyn pit rat, I believe his name is Nestor, hes apparently a big wig in the bbq world, pretty sure he swears by s and p rubs. Look him up.

CABuilder

Anybody?

I go with 50/50 salt/pepper by volume on brisket. Simple and delicious. I believe beef loves and needs pepper.

If you want to change the ratio I would suggest applying just salt 24-48 hours ahead of time and pepper just before the cook. Salt penetrates the meat but pepper will just sit on top.

I have tried a number of other combinations but the ol’ S&P does the trick the best for me.

Patrick

Staff member

Good news is my smoker never exceeds 100C ! is this hot?
The ash particulate does have its drawbacks tho......study from a few years back.

was also wondering if charring the outside (searing/browning) vs cooking to well-done are two separate groups. (as they broke out increased risk for char?)
I can sous vide a steak to 170F - which is well done, and have no char - it is an unappetizing grey color.
or i can hit the outside in a tandoor at 800F+ crisp the first 1/8" all the way around, and have a cool center...
with a crunch to the outside......

but i'm lazy, so i'll use the grill, and bike the high BP into submission!

Patrick

Staff member
This reminds me I want to order a cast iron grate for my BGE. I'd like to get an even better sear.

I couldn't afford to grill a good steak 15 times a month, so no worries there. And well done is just a stupid waste of meat.

wait, how do you kill all the parasites??? :D

Top Bottom