Car-spotting thread

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
the covers are also prone to chafing the paint if there is air movement around them (dont use them if you park outside is the idea as i understand it)

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Plenty of kit cars out there but not this one. Roughly $1.5mil original Shelby Cobra. Every summer he has what's call the "snakes on the mountain" meet at his estate. It's cobras and vipers, but he lets some FGTs show up.

Attachments

• Snakesmountain'14-4.jpg
    Snakesmountain'14-4.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Snakesmountain'14-1.jpg
    Snakesmountain'14-1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Snakesmountain'14-3.jpg
    Snakesmountain'14-3.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
Saw this heading into round valley this morning... Sounded great, definitely running on race gasView attachment 64752

How could you tell it was on race gas? Speaking of which, I've been reading that some guys fill up their GT350s occasionally with Sunoco 260 - there's a station nearby that sells it. They claim they can feel a difference. 9 bucks a gallon tho!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
How could you tell it was on race gas? Speaking of which, I've been reading that some guys fill up their GT350s occasionally with Sunoco 260 - there's a station nearby that sells it. They claim they can feel a difference. 9 bucks a gallon tho!

there is currently a push in the general aviation industry to develop an unleaded alternative to the current standard 100LL (low lead) - it can't be run
in the current cars, cause the lead will screw stuff up - the aviation fleet is big bore, short stroke, low rpm, (ie 360 cuin 4 cyl producing 200ish crank hp @2,700)
research here should spill over to automotive - everything from full synthetic fuel to additives for unleaded to prevent pre-detonation at the edges of the operating envelope.
couple years into a 5 year plan. we'll see.

rick81721

Lothar
there is currently a push in the general aviation industry to develop an unleaded alternative to the current standard 100LL (low lead) - it can't be run
in the current cars, cause the lead will screw stuff up - the aviation fleet is big bore, short stroke, low rpm, (ie 360 cuin 4 cyl producing 200ish crank hp @2,700)
research here should spill over to automotive - everything from full synthetic fuel to additives for unleaded to prevent pre-detonation at the edges of the operating envelope.
couple years into a 5 year plan. we'll see.

Sunoco 260s are unleaded, why can't they use it in planes that need high octane, but don't need lead?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Sunoco 260s are unleaded, why can't they use it in planes that need high octane, but don't need lead?

excellent question. quick scan says avgas is has a lower vapor pressure to stabilize it at altitude. but i don't fly above 10,000' and usually i'm in the 6,500-7,500, which are front range altitudes in colorado - do they mix the gas there differently? racing fuel is efficient over a wider rpm range too - however that works. rate of burn maybe?

currently 100ll is about $5.50/gal in the northeast - it is illegal to run on the street, even in older cars, because of the lead, it was not hit by the gasoline tax increase.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Plenty of kit cars out there but not this one. Roughly $1.5mil original Shelby Cobra. Every summer he has what's call the "snakes on the mountain" meet at his estate. It's cobras and vipers, but he lets some FGTs show up.
Interesting, when I looked at this again on my PC and not my phone...That cobra has street sunburst wheels, street bumpers, later round tail lights, but side pipes, stripes and hood scoop from an S/C version.....Unusual. Like the hood and stripes you could just put on there, but did someone outside the factory actually cut holes in the body of an original cobra? Would be interested in learning the history of this car.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Interesting, when I looked at this again on my PC and not my phone...That cobra has street sunburst wheels, street bumpers, later round tail lights, but side pipes, stripes and hood scoop from an S/C version.....Unusual. Like the hood and stripes you could just put on there, but did someone outside the factory actually cut holes in the body of an original cobra? Would be interested in learning the history of this car.

No idea here. I know nothing about cobras, I'm a Viper guy.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So this rolled up behind, and then next to me in Red Bank before. Fisker Karma...All I saw was Karma, had to look up mfr. And this is an inter web photo, not a pic from me...but same color, shape etc...car looked bad ass...

maxresdefault-2.jpg

Top Bottom