Trail Damage from Selfish Riders

Bleeder

JORBA:President
Mud1.png

Robson

We need to educate stupid people to stick to road riding when trails are wet....it's not a rocket science.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Not sure what videos you're referencing but to the best of my knowledge (and experience) , some trail systems can handle wet and rainy rides. Others, on the other hand, are quite negatively impacted. Riding in the wet should not be reprimanded in all cases. Take the trails out in the PNW, they are almost always soaked. Now granted, these trails are built with this in mind and the dirt and structures on the trail can take the abuse. Other areas are not so fortunate and in that case, those riders should very well be criticized and then educated for proper trail use in the future.

Nonetheless, I would hope that a rider who is sponsored and is an advocate for our sport would use proper etiquette. Unfortunately, this is not always the case...
You are correct, some trails systems handle the wet and others dont. It angers me but I get it, most of the population is stupid and think that being muddy at the end of a ride is what makes it cool. Educate (shame, if needed), the people you know/ come in contact with, but broad level education is a losing battle.

Molasses

We need a local Ray's Indoor Bike Park!
I think when all is said and done this is the best way to protect the trails in winter. Post advertising at trail heads that a clean bike is equal to one free, first time admission. Tons of warehouses in Central NJ (close to 6 Mile) where it seems a lot of newbies go. Would be a good revenue stream for bike shops in the colder months.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I think when all is said and done this is the best way to protect the trails in winter. Post advertising at trail heads that a clean bike is equal to one free, first time admission. Tons of warehouses in Central NJ (close to 6 Mile) where it seems a lot of newbies go. Would be a good revenue stream for bike shops in the colder months.

only thing stopping this from happening. Lawyers. or, insurance companies, depending which way you want to look at it.

SmooveP

only thing stopping this from happening. Lawyers. or, insurance companies, depending which way you want to look at it.
Or the price of commercial real estate in NJ. Ray's building is 92,000 sq ft. A crappy 2,400 sq ft industrial building in central NJ goes for $500k.

rlb

We know the majority of the problem is ignorance/lack of education. Would it help if JORBA had more exposure at every local shop? I know there are some shops that do a great job of supporting JORBA and trying to educate riders. Would it help if every shop asked "Have you heard of JORBA?" with every purchase? It would be cool if a new MTB purchase could include 1 free year of basic JORBA membership. Not sure how we could financially make that happen.

(this is also a good reminder to renew my membership which expires today or tomorrow)

goldsbar

When I first started riding, I recall thinking that they're just trails, you can't destroy them. They even have (or had) tires specifically meant for riding in the mud. Don't worry, my attitude has completely changed. Riding in Lewis Morris just pisses me off sometimes. I know what those trails were like when new versus what they're like now (triple the width). I know that the trails that have been closed for 20 years have not regrown at all. Losing battle at the high travel areas - 20 people showing up for a group ride are unlikely to "do the right thing" and go home.

stilluf

This is an annual battle. When I started riding, I was ignorant, probably like most here, about the lasting damage to trails, and to access, that comes from riding when wet.

After I was educated, I was definitely in the lead on damning all who violated the rule. Over time I've mellowed a bit. Now I see the situation for what it is: most riders do their best to stay off wet trails. A small minority of riders are educated, but don't care, and will ride regardless of the conditions (and then enjoy other's labor to fix their damage). The rest are just ignorant, and maybe believe that muddy riding is "real" MTB.

I can also say that there are gradients of opinion on "too wet" to ride, from bone dry being the only acceptable condition, to riding in all conditions unless physically impossible. I keep a running tab in my head of TM "owed" for my own trail transgressions. ;^)

To my mind, the best option is to keep educating riders in a non-confrontational way, showing up for trail maintenance, and inviting others to do the same.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
We know the majority of the problem is ignorance/lack of education. Would it help if JORBA had more exposure at every local shop? I know there are some shops that do a great job of supporting JORBA and trying to educate riders. Would it help if every shop asked "Have you heard of JORBA?" with every purchase? It would be cool if a new MTB purchase could include 1 free year of basic JORBA membership. Not sure how we could financially make that happen.

(this is also a good reminder to renew my membership which expires today or tomorrow)
Based on the number of reflectors I have picked up on the trails this winter, it isn’t just
Shop bikes out there.

The Squirrel

What if there was a phone app, which offered up-to-date trail conditions, sponsored by JORBA and the other organizations in the tri-state area. Conditions could be modified by selected organization members only. Any trail's status would be marked by a red or green circle and not why it gets a red or green circle. Maybe on the app the trails could be grouped by location, so a party that has shown up for a ride can easily find a close, alternative location. Selecting a location could give you directions from your current location.

When someone buys a new bike, along with the owners manual is a card tied to the handlebars. It gives information about the app, the local organization, and general trail etiquette.

There could also be signs at trailheads, guiding people to the app, for those who maybe are still unaware.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions