Middle Earth's Run From Winter 10k

Peabs83

Join us for a fun event to build fitness and support local youth!
This 10K, which is a little more than 6 miles, takes place on USATF certified and sanctioned course in beautiful Duke Island Park.
Short-sleeve race t-shirts will be given to entrants while supplies last.
Date:
April 8, 2018
Time:
Race starts at 10 a.m., rain or shine
Race day registration and packet pick-up is:
8:30 - 9:45 a.m. (Oak Grove Pavilion)
Bridgewater, NJ

you can now register online here: http://www.middleearthnj.org/news/10k

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
This is a fast 10k - it is flat, runs around the park and down the river, then back.
Well organized event too. $30 early entry (expires 3/30) - $3 off for USATF members
think i'll sign the kid and me up... he hasn't beaten me in a 10k yet, so he'll get a shot (and a good one at that)

oh, plenty of people walking/strolling

i'd encourage everyone to look at the middle earth website to get an idea of their mission.

Peabs83

This is a fast 10k - it is flat, runs around the park and down the river, then back.
Well organized event too. $30 early entry (expires 3/30) - $3 off for USATF members
think i'll sign the kid and me up... he hasn't beaten me in a 10k yet, so he'll get a shot (and a good one at that)

oh, plenty of people walking/strolling

i'd encourage everyone to look at the middle earth website to get an idea of their mission.
thank you for the endorsement @fidodie it really is a great event. if anyone has questions i will be happy to answer them!

Patrick

Staff member
look how happy i am!
around mile 5

563890_3565446825069_719106982_n.jpg

rick81721

Lothar
Great time guys - temp fine while running but I froze afterwards. Like Jim said that last mile was painful.

And yes Jim whooped us old guys but in age graded performance I clipped him 40:19 vs 41:07!

Patrick

Staff member
Didn't get to meet up with @Peabs83, I could have tried harder - but got lazy - we'll ride soon.
Only feedback i have is to announce 5 minutes to race start, then 3, etc. Otherwise, everything else came
off cleanly - directions, water stations, helpful volunteers. The music is a matter of taste, not sure
the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack is the best 'pump up' music.....:D Start with born to run, finish with running on empty....:p

Good race today - talked some trash and took it right on the chin!
Beer goes to Jim!!!!

Congrats
@JimN with a solid 8th overall (6th Male, 2:18 back), (i had him 7th, must have missed someone) First in age group (3 of 12, with top two coming in 2,3 overall)
@rick81721 25th overall and 1st in age group. (1st of 8)
I finished 39th - 3rd in age group (4th of 11, the overall winner was from my AG) (14 seconds faster than 6 years ago!)

Big shout out to the 3 athletes in the female/80+ group. the youngest being 17 years older than the next closest competitor!!!!

150 or so people

Jim was really stretching out the lead - it is an out-n-back, so i got to judge it around the 2.8 mile mark, and he had me by 3+ minutes, and it only got worse.
He might have been surprised by the race start, where people that are just over a jog, crowd the starting line, and then run side-by-side to block the trail....
This is the way of the local race (and some bigger ones)

Good swag bag.
IMG_0392.JPG

apparently, they have updated the speed-stick, so i can go faster next race.

PS: I would have given him the beer anyway, because of all the TM up at wildcat. Don't tell him that tho.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
Didn't get to meet up with @Peabs83, I could have tried harder - but got lazy - we'll ride soon.
Only feedback i have is to announce 5 minutes to race start, then 3, etc. Otherwise, everything else came
off cleanly - directions, water stations, helpful volunteers. The music is a matter of taste, not sure
the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack is the best 'pump up' music.....:D Start with born to run, finish with running on empty....:p

Good race today - talked some trash and took it right on the chin!
Beer goes to Jim!!!!

Congrats
@JimN with a solid 8th overall (6th Male, 2:18 back), (i had him 7th, must have missed someone) First in age group (3 of 10, with top two coming in 2,3 overall)
@rick81721 25th overall and 1st in age group. (1st of 8)
I finished 39th - 3rd in age group (4th of 10, the overall winner was from my AG) (14 seconds faster than 6 years ago!)

Big shout out to the 3 women in the 80+ group. the youngest being 17 years older than the next closest competitor!!!!

150 or so people

Jim was really stretching out the lead - it is an out-n-back, so i got to judge it around the 2.8 mile mark, and he had me by 3+ minutes, and it only got worse.
He might have been surprised by the race start, where people that are just over a jog, crowd the starting line, and then run side-by-side to block the trail....
This is the way of the local race (and some bigger ones)

Good swag bag.
View attachment 66835

apparently, they have updated the speed-stick, so i can go faster next race.

PS: I would have given him the beer anyway, because of all the TM up at wildcat. Don't tell him that tho.

My stinkin wahoo gypped me out of 0.1 miles so strava didn't recognize this as a 10K and didn't capture my PR - burned! I even started and stopped it a little past the starting line. I made top 10 in masters men!

Signing up for the rotary run @ Skillman park on April 22. More pain but less than half the time https://www.runwithrotary.org/

Top Bottom