New to forums

Peabs83

lifetime rider from Somerville.
Grew up riding BMX, still have my 2000 DK General Lee
Been building and customizing since I was a kid. I specialize in Cruisers and BMX
but ive been looking into getting back into bike with gears on them.
I run a nonprofit program out of bridgewater called Big Dan's Bike Shop that teaches at risk youth the value of working with your hands
and getting them used to a workplace.
I am looking to expand my program and take the kids out riding some more, I figured having some connections to the local community would help with all that.
Thanks

Welcome!

I like your style! Think you'll like it here, and find plenty of willing participants.

Cheers!

Hi There, don't BMX, grew up a roadie and regret not building some skills early
There's a few Bike Exchanges in NJ who run a similar program working with bikes, but it seems yours is a bit more formalized.
Many of us ride year round and when it warms up I'm sure there will be plenty of volunteers to lead rides.
Also, I'm sure some of us have more than a few extra bikes willing to donate to your cause.

Again welcome and stay in touch.

I'm down to help you get kids out on bikes.
What ages are the kids?
JORBA used to have a program called
Trips for Kids. Not sure if they do it anymore though.

There is also a group of kids that ride with a group on facebook called
the new jersey junior mountain bikers.
And their Instagram is nj_junior_mtbers
Check it out

My group last summer was all high school aged boys. A couple of them have been working with me for a few years prior.
They all vary in bike experiences, soem have built up enough skills so that this year they will be in more of a mentor capacity to any new kids that want to join.
Last year I had them build up 2 BMX bikes from frame up and we took them out to the Hunterton BMX track and raced them. they had a blast and Lars at HCBMX is a great dude.
I appreciate the offer for donations but we have so many from our generous locals, enough to where i am thinking of having a garage sale of sorts sometime in the spring to make room for the summertime.
thanks for all the welcomes and support guys

also depending where you ride, you don't necessarily need gears
Which parks have you been riding?

This is my project bike I'm building with spare parts. It's ugly and ridiculous and I love it

20170816_154719.jpg

i just finished restoring this old Raleigh Sports. Just focusing on getting the gears dialed in
20171222_233026.jpg

This is my huffy nelLusso cruiser that has a Mirra Pro Seat, DK 2 piece crank with Haro bashguard, and Kevlar tires. I dont know why
20161015_124439.jpg

These are the two BMX bikes my students and I built last summer to go racing
20170823_145447.jpg

These are just the pics i had on my phone, i have much more to show everyone in future threads

Welcome @Peabs83

Your program sounds really great. I could easily see a NJ NICA team forming around it. If you are interested in exploring the idea, feel free to contact me via pm or email. ken(a)newjerseymtb.org

Cheers!

Hey @KenS
Can you reach out to us at the shop? I spoke to one gentleman that stopped in the store, and asked Wayne and Katie (2 of our reps) to have someone from NICA reach out to us. We are very interested in supporting/sponsoring a team in our area. We are located in Bound Brook.

We already sponsor the Team Somerset Junior Development team, as well as Rutgers Tri Club. We feel strongly about supporting this type of juniors/youth cycling for the future health of our sport.

Thanks,
Marc/Pops Bike Shop/Bound Brook/(732)-356-2453

Back
Top Bottom