What's the plan for 2018?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you have a specific studio, see if they do an unlimited option. I used to do that at my studio (until i had to stop altogether for a while last year due to back issues.) It worked out that if I paid the unlimited and took two classes a week, the price per class was like $12 whereas buying a package of classes worked out to about $20/class.
My gf and I have a studio a walk away, but it's $180 a month, or $1600 for a year. I rather buy another bike before I spend that much. We'll still go occasionally for the single classes, but I don't see myself going that often to make it worth it.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
My gf and I have a studio a walk away, but it's $180 a month, or $1600 for a year. I rather buy another bike before I spend that much. We'll still go occasionally for the single classes, but I don't see myself going that often to make it worth it.
Wow! I use planet fitness for a gym cause it’s $99/yr. la fitness was $300/yr but had unlimitied yoga and pilates classes. $1600 sounds like rape.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Wow! I use planet fitness for a gym cause it’s $99/yr. la fitness was $300/yr but had unlimitied yoga and pilates classes. $1600 sounds like rape.
$300 a year is pretty damn cheap for a place with classes. My wife likes the studio style places better and it was $37 a month for 2017 but now went up to $55. All of the places my use are crazy prices.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
$300 a year is pretty damn cheap for a place with classes. My wife likes the studio style places better and it was $37 a month for 2017 but now went up to $55. All of the places my use are crazy prices.
I just do planet fitness because I spend 4 months a year in the gym and the rest on the bike.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I just do planet fitness because I spend 4 months a year in the gym and the rest on the bike.
This is probably what I'll end up doing, but the closest one is a 13 minute drive. I found with my past gym days that if a gym is more than 5 minutes away, I'll never go. At least it's $10 a month or something silly.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I almost want to see Utah do yoga.

Almost.
Me and the old ladies were tearing it up last night doing one handed tree poses.

My gym (fitness factory) is $20 a month, all classes included. There's 4 yoga classes a week IIRC.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Me and the old ladies were tearing it up last night doing one handed tree poses.

My gym (fitness factory) is $20 a month, all classes included. There's 4 yoga classes a week IIRC.

That's not bad. Annoyingly I have shitty options by me for gyms. Yoga places are ~$20 drop-in

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed

I'm calling shenanigans here because I don't believe "one handed tree poses" are a thing ...

This is probably what I'll end up doing, but the closest one is a 13 minute drive. I found with my past gym days that if a gym is more than 5 minutes away, I'll never go. At least it's $10 a month or something silly.

My brother thinks the same way about the distance. I told him that when he buys a place, he should invest in building his own gym in the basement. I have two workout areas that I built for my wife on my property -- one is a full gym in the basement I built for her as a Xmas present six or seven years ago. It has a treadmill, a spinning bike, a heavy bag, a rower, and a rubber-floored section with kettle bells, dumbbells, and a workout bench. Then a couple of years later I got her a monster rack system from Rogue, including pull-up bars, squat deck and bench press rack for the garage when she got into Olympic and powerlifting. The full basement gym cost probably $3K all together, but since she'll have all that equipment for years, it's still cheaper than most gyms in the long run (and you can't beat the commute!) But I think if you want to actually lift weight and are willing to get your cardio another way, the rack system is the better deal. It cost me something like $500, plus I had to buy the weights and bars for it. I think all told, it came in under $1200. And that damn thing will last forever. This is similar to the one I got her:

sml-2-th_5.jpg

Incidentally, I am currently confiscating a very small portion of the basement floor area for my own "studio". I'm hoping to have it finished by the weekend, and I am pretty excited to get it up and running.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Building a home gym is pretty cheap if you scour the local classifieds. So many people buy fitness equipment this time of year and then unload it for peanuts when they realize weights are heavy.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
i go on the way home. Doesn’t work well if I make it to my house first.

Mountain Bike Mike

I’ve come to the conclusion I am allergic to gyms and weight lifting amongst many other allergies.. Dairy, Beer, Wine, Cigarettes...

More money for bike parts...

After spending too many hours developing my GTL build, I found riding Water Company once a week is all I need to stay ripped and strong.

Ride more rocks, save your gym fees, buy more bikes

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I always wanted a rower. Great, full body workout and they look awesome. If only I had a bigger place and $1000.
14scr_104596105fe54bd.jpg

These ones are great but they're more than $1000 - I think they go for like $2500 or so. The one I got is the typical resistance band rower for home use. My wife (and occasionally me) are the only ones who use it so it stays in good condition and we can fold it up to keep it out of the way if we want:

ProductImage

This one is around $500, but I think I got it a little cheaper 10 years ago.

gtluke

The Moped
In for a mtbnj hot yoga class. Not interested much in regular yoga, climbing is my equivalent but I used to use the sauna at the gym and I felt good using it.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am going to spend my year trying to turn water into wine. Then I am going to buy 2 giant plaster letter Cs and put them at either side of our new front steps. So when I come home every night I can say that I parted the Cs to get here.
@Norm -- We can do that cheaper...just get one C, paint it red and cut it in half...But I guess then we'd have to change your screen name to Moses :)

Top Bottom