What's the plan for 2018?

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
So what's everyone planning to do event-wise in 2018?

I haven't fully laid out a "season", but I do have a few events locked in already. The biggest thing I'm doing this year is the TS Epic. I'm also heading back to Florida for the 12 Hrs of Santos in February. Other than that, I have a few of the "usual suspects" penciled in: LBD in April, Shenandoah in September, CP in November. Also, Iron Cross in November (if it happens!)

As for non-race rides, the only thing for certain right now is that I'll be doing my Solstice Brew Tour again in June (looking like it'll be June 16 ). I've actually thought about that one already because I had to reconfigure the route a bit when Prism closed its doors for good. As it is, probably going to be around 150 miles with lots of singletrack and six brewery stops along the way. I've done this ride twice now and it's a very fun day.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I’m starting with Marty’s Fat Fifty(possibly), 1 or 2 short tracks, H2H Medford, NYS chainstretcher, Hop Brook Conneticutt, and then mostly the MASS series. All XC after short track until shenandoah and Erie 80. I’ll probably do CP again even though I al ays talk shit about it. It’s a fun event I guess.

JDurk

TSEpic 5 day for me again. The MASS season, mixing both XC and Endurance. Need to make a decision on Cat and Class for XC. Want to do W101. Maybe Keystone Gravel in Sept.

Robin

FB_IMG_1514913361360.jpg

I'll be working on re-gaining my confidence (and fitness) after my #bumthumb this past summer/fall. I'll be back on the big bikes and maybe hit some enduro/DH races although not 100% sure I need to race to have fun. What I am considering is racing BMX since there is a track practically in my backyard. Oh and I'll be coaching NICA.

**edit** I just registered for Monkey Knife Fight. Why not...good cause...good people...

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
View attachment 61366

I'll be working on re-gaining my confidence (and fitness) after my #bumthumb this past summer/fall. I'll be back on the big bikes and maybe hit some enduro/DH races although not 100% sure I need to race to have fun. What I am considering is racing BMX since there is a track practically in my backyard. Oh and I'll be coaching NICA.
I think we all want to be both :)

mstyer

I'll be putting in the work towards being in a position to win my age group Cat 1 XC race at the mountain bike national championships. I can't control who else shows up, so I'll be focusing on doing my best.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i never know whether to talk about riding in a vacuum or not. there's a lot more going on than just bikes in my life. so much so that it's difficult to just put down "in 2018, i plan to do a certain amount of ride time, or miles, or a combination of the two."

in a vacuum, i plan to ride and not blow up any of my overuse injuries so i can avoid having to be off the bike for weeks (if not months) at a time. 2x a week would be a win. any more and i fear joints and bursa sacs and all sorts of issues will come out of the wood work and force a stop again. i might do an event or two, or i might not. i'm not entirely sure.

that said, i feel like talking about not pinning on a number in threads like this is pointless.

so in reality (but still in the vacuum), and not presented in any form of an event goal or data set, i plan on doing some very mediocre rides on dirt and on the road. i hope to get some good sunrise views in the summer mornings, and not freeze my ass off too much in the dark morning months. i plan to ride from my house more and not drive in my car to the trail head. i hope to clear my head in the saddle better than i ever have. i hope i melt that cold solid block of ore of stress so it flows out of me. i hope to reset myself on my bike so i'm not a dick when i'm in a bad mood. i hope to actually feel grateful when i'm out and that i'm healthy - like actually healthy. i plan on not letting riding get in the way of my family life, but letting riding get in the way of my work life. i hope to ride with some more people this year, have more night rides from my house (and therefore drink some beers afterward with people too) and just have a better time on the bike.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
After almost 2 years off the bike I will try to ride again.

Coincidentally, I was just telling the story of how you gave @JohneeOxford and me a tour of WayWay back in '10. You were riding that root beer SS/Rigid Gary Fisher and killing it. I did an epic OTB into a chunky rock garden and chewed up my leg pretty good. Regardless, had a great time and was thoroughly impressed with you riding SS and rigid there.....actually was an inspiration for me to ride SS.

Happy to hear this is on your calendar for 2018.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I am transitioning out of a milestone phases into who knows what phase. Lasr year I was going to do Monkey Knife Fight instead of HOH but the first day of little league squiched that. May aim for that but errbody knows I have a soft spot for HOH. Maybe make it my first 150 mile day on HOH day?

My company always does the Tour de Shore in July from Philly to AC. I get shit for not doing it so maybe i will do it but also ride home. If I only ride the course, maybe Ill try and ride it both directions before the slowest person at my work rides the one way (63? miles one way).

Outside of events, this will be my year to drive to ride instead of just riding everywhere.

Ian F

I had plans to do the full Eastern States Cup DH season. Even bought a giant friggen van to travel to and camp at races.

Then they decided to eff over older Cat 2/3 racers by combining 30-39 and 40-49 into one class. While in Cat 2, I'm really just racing for fun, the idea of racing against guys 18 years younger than me irks me a bit.

Now I don't really have any plans... other than to just ride more than I did last year. I just realized I didn't ride a single century during 2017. First year in a long time I haven't done at least one century.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Marty's Fat 50 (plus category) as a carrot to get me moving.
Short Track
Most H2H races, although not happy to see Cat 2 is now 19-45 instead of 40-49. Damn kids.
Maybe Macho MTB at Stillwell Woods (I grew up riding the Greenbelt and Stillwell, would be cool to do a race there I guess)
12-16 CX races

I rode at 10+ new parks this past year, and hope to add at least another 6-8 as well as a few repeat visits to the "new to me" ones from 2017.

Top Bottom