Forked river mountain

typical hard packed trail. For obvious reasons I call this trail the doorway.

Attachments

• pick7.JPG
    pick7.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 428
some more pics from FR past winter and Preacher's past summer

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 323
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 324
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 310
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 309
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 312
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 325
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 329
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 315
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 333
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 313
There was snow on ground at FR and Preachers was just an awesome perfect day.

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 316
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 311
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 311
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 301
there are plenty of hard packed trails out there. and as you can see some awesome views along the way. It may not be a real mountain, but feels like one when you are gazing over a vast area of pines from the peak of a large hill in the otherwise very flat Pine Barrens. I will take more pics of trails around these hills as I get back out there more. It is the season. I will post in the near future.

Funny how mountains pop up in the flat lands. Here's a 1000 ft climb I had to struggle with at Mercer County Park in the winter

https://www.strava.com/activities/255919699
I know this is old but...Not sure if that was meant as disbelief sarcasm or just sarcasm. But I am going back out soon on my fat bike. Much easier to deal with the sand trails on the way out there with a fatty and still get to enjoy the singletracks. When I do I will change my avatar to a fat bike pic in the same spot and try to make a believer out of you. And I will post pics on singletrack/doubletrack and from the peak.

well done! Do you have a strava/gps link for us?

---
PS
you are looking good for turning 50! (nohomo)
must be the sealevel living, mixed with riding the pines(?) .
Thanks for the compliment. Lots of time outdoors and live a healthy lifestyle. Thats what I tell people and its all very true. I am the one who posted on the strava isuues. Have tried every trick in the book, including suggestions heard on here, NO apps on my phone work. Tried so many. Just waiting for Christmas. Expressed extreme interest in a GPS device for my bike. I am hoping wifey took the hint. :D She is usually awesome with that stuff. So 3 more weeks. I can post simple directions. Don't mind writing them.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@a1pathfinder67 - no need for directions - drop a trailforks pin, or something else - won't get down there before spring, unless you sponsor a group ride!

Keep pedaling.

From north and south. Exit 74. Turn left onto Lacey Road West. Immediately turn left onto powerline road. Take power line road about 200m(I usually do this on bike to get around water holes) You can park anywhere along this road. On right you will see Stonehill road/trail (lots of waterholes bypassed by switchback to get past them) Take that road 1/2 to 3/4 mile. Turn left at the fence(right in front of you at Argos farm). Follow Argos fence line at next right. Another half mile road will open up to beginning of Sand mines. Pass this major intersection and look to your left until you see a trail that parallels the path you are on. That is Stonehill continuing westward. Stay on Stonehill road for about two miles. You will come out to another powerline road. Heavy sand!!! Cross over powerline road and bare left onto road that parllels it southward. You will be on this road for about a mile. It curves around to the right. You will bypass a major T intersection to the right. Make a left at the next dirt road and take that to the peak of FR mountain. You will be in a large dirt circle probably with an old fire pile in the middle. This is not the vista. Take the trail off to your left due east. 50-75 meters and you reach the vista.

sandman

Thanks for the compliment. Lots of time outdoors and live a healthy lifestyle. Thats what I tell people and its all very true. I am the one who posted on the strava isuues. Have tried every trick in the book, including suggestions heard on here, NO apps on my phone work. Tried so many. Just waiting for Christmas. Expressed extreme interest in a GPS device for my bike. I am hoping wifey took the hint. :D She is usually awesome with that stuff. So 3 more weeks. I can post simple directions. Don't mind writing them.
It's the Pinelands protecting itself. BTW, No hunting going on?

It's the Pinelands protecting itself. BTW, No hunting going on?
The beauty of the route I use is no trespassing signs to one side and FR mtn preserve to the other. The road is on the fringe of both. I guess the hunters try to keep a bit away from the border. I heard one gun shot very far away, when I was on the hilltop. But it's not the first time and it wasn't always hunting season either. :confused: I didn't see anyone out there. Other than a couple people walking their dog near the trail head. And yes...the Pinelands have always seemed to find a way to protect themselves. :cool:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I’ve been here a few times on the moto. There is a rollercoaster trail that leads to this spot from the west that is super fun. Not sure how good this might be on a pedal bike, but on the moto is was a blast.

I’ve been here a few times on the moto. There is a rollercoaster trail that leads to this spot from the west that is super fun. Not sure how good this might be on a pedal bike, but on the moto is was a blast.

Oh it's fun on a fat bike. It was tough on my skinny, but a blast on a fatty. Some sand but a lot of packed singletrack too. It runs along the south side of the ridge of three hills that are named the FR mountains. The most easterly hill is where my pics are from. It was so quiet when I was up there you could hear a pin drop. ;)

IMG_2819.JPG

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Great pictures! I have fond memories of competing there on moto back in the day. And having the crp scared out of me. Everytime Drew Smith and the rest of Team Suzuki blasted past in a tight section.

Funny sidebar. Another old timer (hi Jim!) tells the story of when the moto Enduro in that area was a National. And he got a phone call from a leading national rider. Asking how he should jet his carb... for the altitude of the mountain. :)

Top Bottom