Cars on Ramapo lake trail

rojasj

I happened to be riding through the Ramapo Forest trails and at the bottom of Rye Cliff Road I come across a guy driving his car. He looks at me and says.. "I know I'm not supposed to be down here in my car but the view is to too wonderful". I know there is a locked gate at the top of Skyline drive and I assume that's how the people who own homes get in and out. So, my question is, how did he get down there? :)

gtluke

The Moped
I happened to be riding through the Ramapo Forest trails and at the bottom of Rye Cliff Road I come across a guy driving his car. He looks at me and says.. "I know I'm not supposed to be down here in my car but the view is to too wonderful". I know there is a locked gate at the top of Skyline drive and I assume that's how the people who own homes get in and out. So, my question is, how did he get down there? :)
People live in there. In fact a good friend of mine lives in the house under the castle. It may have been him. There are I think 7 houses in there. At least 3 are accessed from the road around the lake.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't think the road around the lake is illegal to drive on. AFAIK the state owns all the roads unless posted otherwise. If you check Google maps you can see possible entry points. Some may be blocked off. At least 1 isn't.

rojasj

People live in there. In fact a good friend of mine lives in the house under the castle. It may have been him. There are I think 7 houses in there. At least 3 are accessed from the road around the lake.
Yup, I know the guy your talking about. I spoke to him a few times while I was heading up the road to the ruins. The guy in the car looked a bit nervous so I don't think he lived there.

Do the people who own homes in Ramapo State Forest live there year round?

gtluke

The Moped
Yup, I know the guy your talking about. I spoke to him a few times while I was heading up the road to the ruins. The guy in the car looked a bit nervous so I don't think he lived there.

Do the people who own homes in Ramapo State Forest live there year round?

It's one guy that owns most of them. He's there year round yeah.
There are others on the paved section, I'm sure they do too.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions