Jshort’s bike thread

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
comments about the tubeless setup vs toobies? what pressure? I ran them this past weekend and loved it, minus the fact the grass was like riding on velcro.

24 psi front, 25 rear as measured with accu-gauge.
Tires are WTB cross boss and wheels are valors.
Everything felt great. I was definitely one of the faster in the turns when I was in a pack.
I also pre rode behind @Rich W who was behind Roger so I used their lines. Definitely helpful.

The tire choice seems to be tubeless PDXs. Seemed like everyone I spoke to was riding them. Rich and @The Heckler included.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I met you. That was good.

Also, it's funny how you can see someone eyeroll from behind sunglasses, that was too much.

That guy.... lol. He would not STFU. I mean, I love the enthusiasm but I just don’t need to hear every single intricate detail of this guys steel bike 20 minutes before my race.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My Coffee and Beer experiment has ran its course and I have settled into a routine of 1 small cup of coffee in the AM and no beer during the week. Sleep is better. Energy is higher. Weight is down. All good things.

Race Rap - Hippo

If every NJ Race had this vibe, the NJ numbers would be awesome. I appreciate the work these guys put into the event. They have a vision of what a race day should be and i think they executed well. The course was a little rough around the edges - literally and figuratively, but nothing i would spend too much time complaining about.

Cross results had me coming in 7th going into the race, out of 30ish or so. At the time this seemed optimistic but that’s another thing i can’t spend too much time worrying about.

Another good thing about hippo is that it’s 40 minutes from my house which fits in the plan of avoiding too many far away cross races.

I got there early enough to pre ride the course a few laps. It had some cool off camber blind turns, some power straights, a few punchy little climbs, 1 set of barriers, and one weird walk/fly/over thing which if you are reading this, i am sure you have seen pics of.
15DDDF67-5BD0-459E-BCD9-72C1EF1EE9FF.JPG

Overall i was pretty neutral on the course. I can pre ride something 20 times but until I’m at race pace i don’t know exactly how i will ride it.

I head to the start and got called up last on the second row. After some attempted shenanigans i ended up in the second row. I appreciate the try though Jim. :)

Once we go off it’s not too bad as far as traffic is concerned. There was a LOT of dust though which caused a few moments of low vis in the turns, but as far as i could tell, it was a clean start. I was probably 8th or so after the first few turns.

Once we got in the back of the course, the straights open up and anybody with power is using it, sometimes futility, and things mix up a bit. I may have picked up a spot or 2. I am better at holding speed (in part because of wide tires) so I attack after a turn following a straight away. Lots of guys are gassed and not in a position to challenge for the spot. This technique and just smart riding got me into 5th without burning any matches.

After the second lap I knew i had good legs. I was able to recover on the first part of the course and that charged me up enough to attack a bit on the second half. 2 guys passed me when i wasn’t expecting it, but both times i was able to get them right back.

On the third lap I was sitting in 4th and Johan was 3rd, about 10 seconds in front of me. I knew i was gaining on him so I focused on being smooth and making up more time in the turns than he did on the straights. I caught him with 1.5 laps to go. It happened on the little punchy climb in the back. So I knew this is where I would attack on the last lap.

With a plan decided, I stayed on is wheel for the entire lap until that little climb. As soon as we hit it, i stood and mashed up the hill and then kept the effort on the following straight away. When i looked back, he was 10 bike lengths back. I was in the red, but the race was almost over. I dialed it back enough to maintain the lead and stave off any attacks, but they never came. I rolled through for a 3rd place finish. Probably my best cross finish to date.
E8880FD3-867D-4118-83F9-03C336B9BB0F.JPG

Few more thoughts:

1. @seanrunnette on the mic is awesome. MTBNJ gets a little special treatment because he's one of us. At one point he was paying me a compliment and I lost my front wheel and almost went down right in front of him. Good timing.

Thanks Sean!
F043B333-B0E8-4078-960A-893945A64412.JPG

2. @MadisonDan is developing a real talent for handing out donuts. Really, it’s a talent. :) Super fun at the races.

3. @1sh0t1b33r is always good for grabbing a few pics. Thanks.
3110BD1E-C88D-4DFF-A3E5-AA3873048F39.JPG

4. @Santapez really needs some longer shorts. There, I said it. :) Steve, we love you but you got to do something about those things. Maybe put some knee warmers on underneath.

5. The kids course was super fun and E man had so much fun on it, i had to build him a little ramp yesterday.
IMB_TwVJVw.GIF

6. And lastly, every cross races needs to have a punk cover band. God damn that was awesome. It inspired me to listen to the misfits on the way home and then try a kick flip.

IMB_fhH2Md.GIF

Boom.. first try

Attachments

• DCAD7C5C-37A1-4349-AF36-C5362374D1EB.JPG
    DCAD7C5C-37A1-4349-AF36-C5362374D1EB.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 110

Mountain Bike Mike

When you bridged to the back of the group Werner was leading and knowing how you're pretty smart, I was like HOLY SHIT, this is going to be good. Then when I seen you come around and were ahead, wuz like - HELL YEAH!

Great Job on that finish and agreed on the punk band - they played some good classics.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My Coffee and Beer experiment has ran its course and I have settled into a routine of 1 small cup of coffee in the AM and no beer during the week. Sleep is better. Energy is higher. Weight is down. All good things.
Add some Geritol and you'll be on the podium every week.
MM0482-01.jpg

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
that feel when you know you can dish out some pain at the right spot. i miss that feel. murder

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
4. @Santapez really needs some longer shorts. There, I said it. :) Steve, we love you but you got to do something about those things. Maybe put some knee warmers on underneath.

I'll either heed your advise, or wear see-through padded mountain short liners at future races.

It's a combination of my chubby thighs and the 4" of WHITE skin from wearing baggy mountain bike shorts.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
that feel when you know you can dish out some pain at the right spot. i miss that feel. murder

Thanks. That pass was extremely satisfying. Most of all when I saw it stuck and gave me a huge cushion.

After running out of gas with 2 laps to go at Nittany I made sure I didn't repeat the same mistakes.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's an optical illusion. That being said, you can expect me to be walking around wearing daisy dukes at the next race.

Iggy, I'll let you know when it is.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Good seeing you on Saturday and disappointed I missed seeing your race. Now that I showed my face at an event, I can go back into hiding.

Did you see my game of skate challenge on IG? You game? If you accept, it is my trick next.
I will accept your early step off for my defensive toe drag:
kickflip.gif

Top Bottom