Book of Paul H

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If it's wire bead tire, was the wire bent or broken? Looks f'd. 100psi sounds like a lot for a 1.25 as well. People run like 80 or less in a 28mm.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
If it's wire bead tire, was the wire bent or broken? Looks f'd. 100psi sounds like a lot for a 1.25 as well. People run like 80 or less in a 28mm.
Yes on wire bead but not sure if that's broken. I didn't notice anything odd when mounting the tire but that doesn't mean it wasn't.
it's getting ready to explode
I wouldn't trust that tire.
Err... I guess I'll stop riding it until I get it back home for maintenance.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Since the POSS is coming home this weekend for maintenance... I was thinking about giving it drop bars and putting on an old 5600 105 brifters. Would I be pushing it to be stolen?

This is going to suck as I don't think I'll have time to ride the trails due to this. Will prolly spend @ 4hr just in transporting.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
$40 for both front and rear tire
$20 for new U lock
$15 for quill stem
$9 for brake cable
6hrs in the garage
all this for the POSS.... WTF!!!

Woke up at my usual time and took the 6:10AM bus into the city. Picked up the POSS and hopped on the 7:30AM bus back home.
It appears that warping was on the rear tire as well. Took off the tires and looks like there are some tears. Not sure if this would have caused the tire to explode, but nonetheless... better safe than sorry.
full

Off to Walmart to pick up some cheap tires. While I was there, saw a Kryptonite U lock and had to buy it. The Bell U lock that I have sucks donkey ass. It locks into the holster/mount on the bike when not in use and it fell off the bike 3 times already while riding. You could prolly just pull on it and it will just come off. Also, the key would get stuck and its a real PIA.

Tires are replaced and now, to attend to the grinding noise. First thing I noticed was that the chainring bolts were loose. Tightened and done and go on a test ride.... thug... thug... thug. Another weird noise and I can't seem locate where it is coming from. It only happens under load and doesn't manifest itself on the stand. I think I rode around the parking lot for about 3 miles trying to figure out where this noise was coming from. Last resort.... took apart the BB and regreased everything. It seems to have worked.... in hindsight, I think one of the cups might have been loose. Also installed the new quill stem. I couldn't sand it down to 21.15mm. Just didn't have the patience. I did sand it down quite a bit but not enough. I ended up hammering it in there. It murdered the stem but it worked. Because of the longer reach, also had to change the rear brake cable. The bike feels so much better. I no longer feel like I am riding a midget's bike. As a matter of fact... I am thinking about riding the POSS into the city tomorrow.

full

full

Oh yeah... I should prolly take off the bottle cage.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I love these caveman bike assembly stories. Keep them coming!

Looks very hipster.
One of these days... the caveman technique is going to bite me in the ass and I'm going to fall on my face!
But I guess I have some sense not to apply this on my good bikes... well... at least i limit the use on them... lol

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That bike looks too small for you. I literally grease everything that goes on the bike except for grips and tires. Solved my creaking problems.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
That bike looks too small for you. I literally grease everything that goes on the bike except for grips and tires. Solved my creaking problems.
I agree... and it feels small which is why I really wanted to cram that longer reach stem in there. Over the winter, I am going to look for a larger bike hopefully in aluminum to replace the POSS. I think it's called a GMC Denali which pops up every now and then on CL that I am keeping my eyes peeled for. I'm figuring it won't be more than $50 for the frame.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Errr... got off the greenway and that thug is back...

But the POSS feels good with the new rubber and shoulder feels better with the longer reach.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I agree... and it feels small which is why I really wanted to cram that longer reach stem in there. Over the winter, I am going to look for a larger bike hopefully in aluminum to replace the POSS. I think it's called a GMC Denali which pops up every now and then on CL that I am keeping my eyes peeled for. I'm figuring it won't be more than $50 for the frame.

I think u can get that bike for 100 complete at Walmart.

qclabrat

that Specialized is a solid bike, if it's what I suspect it to be
I'd take Jimmy on that offer.

They are hand made in Japan with Ishiwata or Tange and have all the touring braze-ons
It's the twin to the iconic Miyata 1000
attachment.php

83ad1.jpg

Modern day tourers like the Rivendell AHH basically borrowed the Expedition geo from the 80s
rivendell-hilsen.jpg

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Forgot to mention... yesterday I noticed the reflector on the rear wheel of the POSS was upside down.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
It's been about month and a half since getting the Trance and lately on my rides, I've thought that my cardio was suffering and going down hill(age factor?)... or that since I've started my bike commute, maybe my legs were developing faster than my lungs. I've always thought that my legs outpaced my lungs. Initially, i thought i was getting sick because I was so out of breath... more so than usual. Today, I took out the Talon, just to relook at the difference between HT XC and FS Trail. The Trance is a slightly heavier bike but never thought the weight difference would tax on my cardio that much because today I rode HM on the Talon as I knew I could as far as endurance was concerned. That cardio mystery was solved.

Without going into the obvious, after riding the Trance for a bit, I realized I got better on the Talon on the technical stuff. That still doesn't mean faster but I've improved by getting smoother. I think it's because I got more conscious of the fact that I need to pick my lines better on the HT. I look further ahead when on the FS because I can risk it to take a more rowdy and bumpy line and I am going faster. I looked down more on the Talon and have to make decisions on which way to go. Consequently, slower in the Talon and not to mention, its not as stable so I'm not comfortable going as fast on the HT.

Another reason why I took the Talon was to see what I wanted to do with it. I thought about slapping on a rigid fork and drop bars to make it a CX bike. This is not going to happen. I am going to keep it as is and alternate between the 2. If I feel like riding lazy and fast, Trance will get the call. If I feel like gaining some elevation, it will be the Talon. When riding with others, Talon will get the call as well so that I can make better attempts in trying to keep up. But at the end of the day, I like lazy and fast so Trance will prolly get more mileage. I guess my want for a CX bike will have to wait.

Last edited:
Top Bottom