Wawayanda State Park Conditions

huffster

Thanks for update. I'm thinking about a Waway ride tomorrow.

That trail is called "Gravity" on Strava. I prefer it starting at the end near Buddha. It is challenging in either direction, but there is more climbing if you go at it the other way. And God knows, I try to avoid climbs whenever I can. :D

Just did a loop of Walls, Mojo, Hemlock, Pickle, Rattlesnake, Pines, Turkey Ridge, and Splitrock. Conditions were great! Some rocks were a little slippery, but that was not too much of a problem. By the way, what is the name of that new trail that connects the bottom of Pines to Buddha? I tried it for the first time today and it was a lot of fun.

Reactions: Kev

trekfan

a new trail you say? man i must keep missing it

there's a large tree down on banker just before plymouth. otherwise, everything looks good

huffster

2 points of entry for "Gravity" both off "Turkey Ridge" (shown below). If you go from the "Pines" end you will do more climbing, but don't miss-interpret that to mean its easy in the other direction. It is a challenging trail, either way. Here is a strava link that includes it. https://www.strava.com/activities/1008104542

upload_2017-7-17_8-40-45.png

a new trail you say? man i must keep missing it

there's a large tree down on banker just before plymouth. otherwise, everything looks good

sundaydoug

I found Gravity last week and rode it from the Buddah end clockwise. Then I went back last night and rode it from the Pines end, super fun in either direction, great new trail. I also wound up on Thirsty Dog thinking I was on Split Rock and the trail sort of dead-ended up on a rock outcrop where I couldn't find any further trail. Is this trail an out and back? I'm familiar with Wawayanda's northern half, but I just moved to a neighborhood off of Clinton Rd. so I've been exploring the southern end of the park.

huffster

So, on the same Strava I linked above, I also rode most of "Thirsty Dog". See entrance (below), off Old Coal (downhill from both entrances to "Split Rock"). It does dead-end out on a rock outcrop. I drew that in in blue below (not to scale). But, about 1/2 way out there is a right turn (not sure if that is also considered "Thirsty Dog" . I think there is a cairn in another rocky area. That is what I did on this route instead of riding out to the dead-end. That dropped me out on Turkey Ridge just before the uphill toward "Buddha". And just before the upper entrance to "Gravity".

This southern stuff is some of the best tech that Wawayanda has too offer. "Split Rock" is another great trail in that area. In my mind it is a 1-way trail...DOWN!
upload_2017-7-17_17-56-17.png

V-Dub

I found Gravity last week and rode it from the Buddah end clockwise. Then I went back last night and rode it from the Pines end, super fun in either direction, great new trail. I also wound up on Thirsty Dog thinking I was on Split Rock and the trail sort of dead-ended up on a rock outcrop where I couldn't find any further trail. Is this trail an out and back? I'm familiar with Wawayanda's northern half, but I just moved to a neighborhood off of Clinton Rd. so I've been exploring the southern end of the park.
Out and back

sundaydoug

So, on the same Strava I linked above, I also rode most of "Thirsty Dog". See entrance (below), off Old Coal (downhill from both entrances to "Split Rock"). It does dead-end out on a rock outcrop. I drew that in in blue below (not to scale). But, about 1/2 way out there is a right turn (not sure if that is also considered "Thirsty Dog" . I think there is a cairn in another rocky area. That is what I did on this route instead of riding out to the dead-end. That dropped me out on Turkey Ridge just before the uphill toward "Buddha". And just before the upper entrance to "Gravity".

This southern stuff is some of the best tech that Wawayanda has too offer. "Split Rock" is another great trail in that area. In my mind it is a 1-way trail...DOWN!
View attachment 54856

Thanks! I was headed south on Turkey Ridge after riding Gravity and I kept going straight when the trail made a left turn, thinking I would hit Split Rock. After I turned around at the rock outcrop dead-end I found where I had missed the hairpin turn to get back to Old Coal, I ended up at the spot you have labeled as the entrance. The southern end of the park really is awesome, and I agree Split Rock is best ridden down!

trekfan

i was going to post that i wasn't sure this new one is thirsty dog. the thirst dog that's on existing maps just kind of dumps you off onto a big rock and abandons you. you need to backtrack to get out of it.

anyway, rode last night. not sure what's going on with the area just past nature jim's bridge, but there's a constant flow of water there now. very hard to navigate on or off the bike without getting wet. also that first rock bridge on pumphouse from the aux parking lot is completely underwater. prepare to swim

Kaleidopete

Now that my nice trail is open I headed out Banker trail this morning to attack that other blowdown that @trekfan mentioned earlier.
It was a beauty, nice hard oak. Now you can either go around or over, your choice.

BankersTree01.jpg

workin
BankersTree02.jpg

done
BankersTree05.jpg

sundaydoug

@Kaleidopete looks like you have the southern-end of the park GPS well-mapped, even the unmarked trails. I just moved into a house on Shadyside road, I can actually see the Wayside trailhead from my driveway. I discovered the trails off of your red-labeled Wayside trail (Sandpit, Ridges, white Wayside) but I got turned around and confused a bit. Could you possibly screen shot your GPS trails in that area from a bit of a wider/zoomed out angle? I'm trying to see if those trails link up with Ferber circle area at all.

Thanks!

Kaleidopete

@Kaleidopete looks like you have the southern-end of the park GPS well-mapped, even the unmarked trails. I just moved into a house on Shadyside road, I can actually see the Wayside trailhead from my driveway. I discovered the trails off of your red-labeled Wayside trail (Sandpit, Ridges, white Wayside) but I got turned around and confused a bit. Could you possibly screen shot your GPS trails in that area from a bit of a wider/zoomed out angle? I'm trying to see if those trails link up with Ferber circle area at all.

Thanks!
Those trails don't go to Ferber Cr. Only Banker trail goes there. Looks like we live in the same Hood.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions