Weight weenie broken Race Face next crank.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
So, I have broken my second Raceface Next SL crank. I thought the first was from a pedal strike but ultimately after some digging the pedal boss comes unbonded from the carbon arm. Takeahikeshop warranties the first one in December. I just noticed the other side doing the same thing at CR on Thursday. After some reading it looks like it was a known problem and hopefully the G4 version has it fixed. I have the G4 on my fs bike. This really sucks when you have three bikes invested with them with direct drive absolute black chainrings and such. Big $. Are STAM XX1 cranks any better or am I looking at the same problem?

IMG_6208.JPG
IMG_6209.JPG
IMG_6208.JPG
Pics? Been running Next SL cranks for a couple of years with no issues...
This is the current ine(left side). Takeahikeshop warranties the other side through raceface. Hoping they upgrade me to G4. Notice in second pic I had covers on the ends and no indications of strikes or anything.

Sounds like great design, just like Campy's carbon cranks :rolleyes:

Hope they come through for you. If they let you keep the old one, I would cut it on a bandsaw to see exactly what/why it failed, but that's me.

(don't have anything to add to the conversation, sorry)

20170322_130917.jpg

I broke my G4 crank, no rock strikes, just broke while out riding one day. They are making a newer stronger design for AM riding. My XX1 have been great, no issues yet plenty of rock strikes

Last edited:
Also have a pair of Next SL cranks that are 4ish years old with several million miles on them. No issues.

Just looked at my warrantied one and that is now effed too! 3 broken Next SL arms( both sides). WTF. The pair had about 1400 miles on them but this warranty one from December is less than 300 miles.

I have 3 pairs on 3 different bikes. No problems at all yet (fingers crossed). One doesn't get ridden too much (my son's bike). Of the other two, one I bought just when they launched them. I've used them w/o boots and no issues. The other pair I've had for about 3 years in my fat bike. Not as many miles; no problems.

Maybe there's something off w/ the spindle of your pedals, or some other part of your pedals?

I have 3 pairs on 3 different bikes. No problems at all yet (fingers crossed). One doesn't get ridden too much (my son's bike). Of the other two, one I bought just when they launched them. I've used them w/o boots and no issues. The other pair I've had for about 3 years in my fat bike. Not as many miles; no problems.

Maybe there's something off w/ the spindle of your pedals, or some other part of your pedals?
Nah, think they just don't hold up to single speed rigid 29er Clydesdale type riders. A lot of my riding is rigid at chimney rock and trying to hammer hills.

So, I have broken my second Raceface Next SL crank. I thought the first was from a pedal strike but ultimately after some digging the pedal boss comes unbonded from the carbon arm. Takeahikeshop warranties the first one in December. I just noticed the other side doing the same thing at CR on Thursday. After some reading it looks like it was a known problem and hopefully the G4 version has it fixed. I have the G4 on my fs bike. This really sucks when you have three bikes invested with them with direct drive absolute black chainrings and such. Big $. Are STAM XX1 cranks any better or am I looking at the same problem?
This happened to Me on My Next SL cranks Race Face covered it no problem. Otherwise they have been a great crankset

i also have these cranks, many miles and too many pedal strikes to count, no issue. some days you go to a wedding some days you go to a funeral. call race face im sure they will right ya.

Back
Top Bottom