A/C repair and replacement

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I have low confidence in the large firm that installed both of our systems. Seems they leak check by adding more r22, rather than pressure testing with co2 or nitrogen.

I may need to have two systems replaced.

Who is your goto ac company?

Blair

I have low confidence in the large firm that installed both of our systems. Seems they leak check by adding more r22, rather than pressure testing with co2 or nitrogen.

I may need to have two systems replaced.

Who is your goto ac company?
I used Russo brothers, just replaced a two zone system, condensors, attic air handlers and all the lines connecting both, thermostats. they did a great job. Depending on the temperature when it is replaced affects the pressure they put in the system.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I just used Princeton Air. Not one complaint here. Full replacement of everything. Only one small paperwork snag but it was fixed instantly. Just got our rebates in the mail this week.

qclabrat

went with C&C through Costco, you extra rebates and they aim to please due to the lucrative contract with them. they also use Lennox exclusively, which I consider the best along with Carrier and Rheem

Patrick

Staff member
went with C&C through Costco, you extra rebates and they aim to please due to the lucrative contract with them. they also use Lennox exclusively, which I consider the best along with Carrier and Rheem

lennox is 50 to 100 percent more than rheem according to the guys that came here. of course, they are selling me the stuff they make more on.

Blair

You basically get what you pay for. I got a quote for carrier and they started out at 35 or 40k less rebates and I just laughed like unless the rebate is 50% you don't have a chance.

olegbabich

You basically get what you pay for. I got a quote for carrier and they started out at 35 or 40k less rebates and I just laughed like unless the rebate is 50% you don't have a chance.

Wow, How big is you house and how many zones?

qclabrat

I had 5 quotes and they definitely ran the range, some really didn't have a clue. But to be fair not everyone here does a heat pump and furnace combo. Quotes came in between 80 and 50. Retail on the parts is only about 20. Labor is by far the largest contributor to the range. It took 3 good days to install and another two visits to dial in the settings. The new systems have a bunch of sensors and ramp up options depending on you house. I have the furnaces with the infinite variable blower and along with the heat pump, the warmth for forced hot air is very comfortable. If you go Lennox get the iComfort controller option, IMO it's worth the extra coin.

Patrick

Staff member
Problem i have is they don't want to fix the system, or even diagnose it - they want to replace it.
i know the tech has changed, and r22 is being phased out.

how hard is it to put 300psi of co2 + some dye into a system, come back the next day, and find the leak.

asshat puts r22 in, and said if it is a slow leak, it might last a year. that is the one I added heat to last year, so i'm in for even more $$

in my older (17 yo) system, he wouldn't even work on it. i'm going to isolate the condenser, then pressurize the system and see what i find.
i don't know where the dryer is - which would be ruined introducing air into the system - i think the rest of the unit is ok with air.
makes no matter

One guy specs coil/condenser replacement, the next guy (same company) says it can't be done.

i also have to deal with the person telling me about possible fan failure because the unit is old. last thing i'm worried about is an electric motor.

seems the "be scared" sales technique is the primary means of getting the work order started.

oh, and my system says it is variable speed, but i don't think they ever set it up.

these are the same people that put the register for the bedroom, right next to the door, when the return is right outside of it. smart.

Last edited:

hotsauce

It's understandable that they don't want to fix it and just want to replace. From their perspective its $300 vs $8k+. It's not totally ethical but you can see their motivation.

I used Meyer & Depew for a replacement in summer 2015 and was pleased with the results, they were $3k less than my other quote. They're worth a call if you're looking for another data point.

rick81721

Lothar
We used C&C last year to replace one of the a/c units. Knowing we would be unloading this house in 1-2 years, we didn't spend much. Don't see the point unless you plan on spending a long time in the house.

Mahnken

Problem i have is they don't want to fix the system, or even diagnose it - they want to replace it.
i know the tech has changed, and r22 is being phased out.

how hard is it to put 300psi of co2 + some dye into a system, come back the next day, and find the leak.

asshat puts r22 in, and said if it is a slow leak, it might last a year. that is the one I added heat to last year, so i'm in for even more $$

in my older (17 yo) system, he wouldn't even work on it. i'm going to isolate the condenser, then pressurize the system and see what i find.
i don't know where the dryer is - which would be ruined introducing air into the system - i think the rest of the unit is ok with air.
makes no matter

One guy specs coil/condenser replacement, the next guy (same company) says it can't be done.

i also have to deal with the person telling me about possible fan failure because the unit is old. last thing i'm worried about is an electric motor.

seems the "be scared" sales technique is the primary means of getting the work order started.

oh, and my system says it is variable speed, but i don't think they ever set it up.

these are the same people that put the register for the bedroom, right next to the door, when the return is right outside of it. smart.

I would just check for leaks with some bubble soap, I've had the best luck with that. Better than several of the electronic leak detectors I've had, and better than the dye. As long as the system works, there's pressure in there, you should be able to find leaks with the bubbles. The dye has to be put in with refrigerant and run for a while to make it's way through the system. I would usually add dye after fixing a leak so that if I got called back and it was still leaking, I'd be able to just turn on the UV light and try and find out where it's leaking. A lot of times the leak is at the Schrader valves, flare nut connections, or expansion valve. Basically anywhere anything could be screwed off or out. I've been a nurse for four years, before that I was an hvacr tech for ten years. Mostly commercial and industrial stuff, I hated residential work.

Patrick

Staff member
I would just check for leaks with some bubble soap, I've had the best luck with that. Better than several of the electronic leak detectors I've had, and better than the dye. As long as the system works, there's pressure in there, you should be able to find leaks with the bubbles. The dye has to be put in with refrigerant and run for a while to make it's way through the system. I would usually add dye after fixing a leak so that if I got called back and it was still leaking, I'd be able to just turn on the UV light and try and find out where it's leaking. A lot of times the leak is at the Schrader valves, flare nut connections, or expansion valve. Basically anywhere anything could be screwed off or out. I've been a nurse for four years, before that I was an hvacr tech for ten years. Mostly commercial and industrial stuff, I hated residential work.

Larger system is flat. I may spend 300 on basic equipment and find it that way.

Thanks for the tips!

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
we just had central a/c installed in our house, we had ultimate aire out of wayne do the work, they beat Meyers and Depew by almost $5k on price

ChrisRU

I had a really difficult time finding anyone reputable to work on an existing system split ductless system. I have 3 outdoor units and 5 indoor heads. LG and Fujitsu. All less than 12 years old.

The outdoor condenser that drives the heads in our main living area and master crapped out (mice went to town on it). Despite a bunch of calls and references, I still ended up with someone I'm not happy with at all. Dude seems nice, but is fixing our system with a trial and error method on my dime. Has been taking his sweet time too. Thankfully the AC is back to working again, but its still a bit rigged and he has to make another trip out to complete the fix.

A few places I called wouldn't service any systems they didn't install even if they worked on the brands. People actually turn away business like that? I was pretty surprised. Still looking for a good tech who can actually diagnosis and fix issues. /rant

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
A few places I called wouldn't service any systems they didn't install even if they worked on the brands. People actually turn away business like that? I was pretty surprised. Still looking for a good tech who can actually diagnosis and fix issues. /rant

I just had a customer in who owns an HVAC Co. Said that every time it get's hot out he ends up turning away a lot of new business because he has to keep his existing customers happy. Anyone with a system he sold always gets first priority.

Top Bottom