Wanted, 26" fork (touring/rigid MTB), 1-1/8 threaded/threadless

mstyer

Pretty sure I still have a 26" steel fork in the basement with a 1 1/8" threadless steerer and canti bosses. I'll dig through the parts bin this evening.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I may have what you're looking for.. fork and brakes. Let me check my parts bin and take some pics. I gotta warn you the fork is purple with threaded steer tube. It was off a Specialized Stumpjumper M2... or was it M4. Don't remember.

Last edited:

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
20170617_082838.jpg Here's what I got. The only problem here is the fork's steer tube is 1", not 1-⅛" and it's about 5-¾" long. Not pictured are brake levers if you want those, too. If not then they're going to Second Hand Bikes some time this summer.

Last edited:

mstyer

Here's what I have. It's a Tange steel fork, approx. 410-415 A-C and 185mm 1 1/8" threadless steerer.

Attachments

• IMG_3860.JPG
    IMG_3860.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 5

Karate Monkey

Here's what I have. It's a Tange steel fork, approx. 410-415 A-C and 185mm 1 1/8" threadless steerer.

I just measured, and this won't work for me, but thanks. It looks like I will need a minimum of 230mm for a threadless fork to get the height up high enough. I would have preferred a more 'classic' geometry frame like a Bridgestone, but I've gotta work with what I've got (and I can already see the fireworks if I took apart mom's Trek, so that isn't going to happen). If the right/cheap frame comes along, I'm not opposed to re-starting with a 1" head tube...

So, I'm going to update the first post with the following information, and leave this thread open, but eventually I'll just need to buy a [new] fork, if nothing comes along:

-Threadless 1 1/8: needs at least 230mm steerer length
-Threaded 1 1/8: needs at least 165mm, 175mm preferable
-Lugs preferable to unicrown (ha, that's a stretch), Would like 58-60mm actual space in between the legs, a little less okay.
-Doesn't need to be a mountain bike fork, as long as it is 398 axle-to-crown (or a bit more), which would almost guarantee that it is coming from a touring bike/mountain bike, anyway.
-The above can be slightly lower, if there is more offset to the fork (+45mm)
-Cantilever studs preferable to disc mounts, but I can deal if something nice comes along.

Karate Monkey

Hey, if it's threaded, it only needs to be 6.5" :)

I'm trying to avoid having to buy an expensive threadless stem that could make a shorter steerer work...doesn't make sense, for a parts bike.

Top Bottom