27.5 plus

Gnick

ive got a specialized fuse with the 27.5+ wheels. I would LOVE to find someone with some 29" + wheels that would let me borrow them for a ride or two. I know my bike will fit them, but i'd rather not drop the cash for a set just to do a test run

jtrain

there is a reversible insert for the rear shock on my tallboy which changes the geometry from h to l. i usually leave it on 11.

SantaCruz_Tallboy3_flipchip_H-900x600.jpg

Wow you keep your bike super-clean! ;-)

jtrain

@qclabrat If you are considering the Tall Boy I can highly recommend. I was worried about giving up the 29er but have no regrets. It is a fun ride. I still use my 29er hard tail on the towpath when conditions dictate.

rick81721

Lothar
wow, you splurged a bit there
what are you thoughts on carbon wheels, I'm considering them for the next build but just like my first carbon frame, I've been cautious with it
are you able to run low pressures without fear of cracks?

So far they're great. Made a big difference compared to Al rims and bigger (3") tires. Probably knocked 1 lb off rotating mass.

Mr.Moto

I've be weary going to sourlands with them though

If you are careful about having enough pressure in them, they should be fine. The problem starts when you play the "how low can you go" game. Unfortunately I was doing that and cracked a rim this year. Otherwise they can take a bit of scraping and abuse with no problem.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The bike came with the plus setup. Since I don't ride a lot of tech, I haven't noticed much, although lately I've just been using the 29ers.
Put the plus back on today, and riding Tourne tomorrow with the NICA kids.

jnos

That being said, we may watch as the lines blur and 27 x 2.6" becomes more of a the standard fare. I have a good friend who works at Schwalbe and he says all the OEMs are betting heavily on 2.6" for 2018.
This gives me a perfect excuse to buy a bike in 2018.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
2.6 is basically an admission of defeat by the biking industry. Plus wasn't exactly the blockbuster they thought it would be, so they'll try to save face with 2.6. Why 2.6? Because 2.5 already exists, and 2.6 is a just a huge leap over 2.5. If you really think that 2.6 is giving you something 2.5 isn't (I know, that 0.1 is a HUGE difference), you need to get your head examined.

qclabrat

2.6 is basically an admission of defeat by the biking industry. Plus wasn't exactly the blockbuster they thought it would be, so they'll try to save face with 2.6. Why 2.6? Because 2.5 already exists, and 2.6 is a just a huge leap over 2.5. If you really think that 2.6 is giving you something 2.5 isn't (I know, that 0.1 is a HUGE difference), you need to get your head examined.

so you saying anyone who bought a 148 got dup'd?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor

7.5 % increased volume on a 29er according to Maxxis. Could be BS... don't care... 2.6 is working for me as a front tire on my rigid SS. I can't go bigger than 2.4 in the rear and the 2.8's were messing with the geo too much. Can't say that I give 2c about the veracity of industry's prognosticators... the more options for me to frankenbike with... the better. Their screw ups are my playthings. ;)

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
so you saying anyone who bought a 148 got dup'd?

Honestly, 148 is stupid. They already had 150 for DH for a while....and it's proven, why not just go to that if they wanted to go wider? It would have been less expensive for them and less aggravating to the public.

Top Bottom