27.5 plus

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I make fun of anything crackendale
Hell most of my teamies ride them, insert giggle.

I take no one's opinion over mine because I can.

And jdog is still one of the coolest cats I know even though he's a crackendale pusher. This was before he even became cooler pushing the Cruz!

gingertooth

You constantly complain about riders not supporting LBS and yet you and some of the racers your support continually belittle a segment of the riding population. Actions have consequences

So does this mean we shouldn't be supporting our LBS???? I don't get it??? Might be a good time to wash your mouth out son'''

chrisalecia

This is how you properly generalize:

- 27x 2.8" - 3.0" – Harley Davidson, for old guys with money who go slow but want to feel bad-ass.

-29 x 3.0 – Hippies and tree huggers, or bike packers. Does anyone actually do this?

I'll speak for the 27x2.8" since I subscribe to that model - I disagree with the Harley inference though I am a fan of them. 27x2.8 is more BMW R1200 or KTM 1290 Super Adventure. We're a little older, want to get out for adventure but also want to do it with some plush!:cool:

jumpa

I'll speak for the 27x2.8" since I subscribe to that model - I disagree with the Harley inference though I am a fan of them. 27x2.8 is more BMW R1200 or KTM 1290 Super Adventure. We're a little older, want to get out for adventure but also want to do it with some plush!:cool:

Your not old

qclabrat

A few bike companies have been selling bikes with the "capability" to switch between regular 29 wheels and 27.5 plus
If you can properly stuff a 2.6-2.8 in the rear of a 29r which does not advertise doing so, what are things I should be aware?
are the bikes like the Salsa Horse/Pony designed differently. Is there a different different offset?
I know a 135 rear is certainly no go, but many 142s appear to have an acceptable clearance

The Kalmyk

Then- When I first heard the 27.5 plus could fit a 29er wheel I thought it was great.

Now- If I wanted a 29er I'd buy a bike built around a 29er wheel.

RickVaughn

A few bike companies have been selling bikes with the "capability" to switch between regular 29 wheels and 27.5 plus
If you can properly stuff a 2.6-2.8 in the rear of a 29r which does not advertise doing so, what are things I should be aware?
are the bikes like the Salsa Horse/Pony designed differently. Is there a different different offset?
I know a 135 rear is certainly no go, but many 142s appear to have an acceptable clearance

0c2.jpg

If it fits and has enough clearance then I think you're okay. The newer bikes have boost spacing and the frame design is different to accommodate a wider tire. My buddy's XC bike is a 29er but can barely fit an aggressive 2.2 so it really depends on the frame

rick81721

Lothar

Nope, only difference is the paint job. I like the flexibility of wheelset options but have pretty much settled on the 27.5+ version as optimal for me

qclabrat

Then- When I first heard the 27.5 plus could fit a 29er wheel I thought it was great.

Now- If I wanted a 29er I'd buy a bike built around a 29er wheel.

That's what I was wondering, does the geo on these bikes get all screwy?
good at both but not great at either

qclabrat

Nope, only difference is the paint job. I like the flexibility of wheelset options but have pretty much settled on the 27.5+ version as optimal for me
Rick, what's the height difference between your plus and 29 wheels?
if you can provide the setup on each it would be helpful

Mr.Moto

0c2.jpg

If it fits and has enough clearance then I think you're okay. The newer bikes have boost spacing and the frame design is different to accommodate a wider tire. My buddy's XC bike is a 29er but can barely fit an aggressive 2.2 so it really depends on the frame

^^^^^This.
Some 29er bikes with 135mm qr can fit a b+ set up. With modern 1x drivetrains you can eliminate some chain interference issues created by a front derailleur. Then it's a matter of how much room you have between the seat / chain stays for the bigger tires. The retro bike I built has a 135 qr rear, but it fits a 35mm rim with a 2.85 tire. Might even be able to squeeze a 40mm rim in there, but that would be pushing it.

Last edited:

qclabrat

0c2.jpg

I think a 2.2 29 tires is about the same height as a similar tire at 2.8x27.5
as long as it clears the width should it matter?

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Will try to measure up my XtC tonight or tomorrow and report back..
Boost
27.5+ 3.0 front/2.8 rear
29 2.35/front/2.25 rear

Top Bottom