Going Long and Hard.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Stingy little 200k today. Climby in the middle part, 8700 feet worth. Rained sideways while I was climbing out past Spruce Run and then out of High Bridge. Thunder. Lightning. Was brutal for a bit. I only word shorts and SS jersey so it got cold while it rained. Whatevs. Looking forward to next weekend's 300k. I have 2 team mates joining in so that'll be nice.

9200k to go.

IMG_20170514_165250_518.jpg
20170514_181038.jpg
20170514_074603.jpg

20170514_074610.jpg

20170514_175543.jpg

qclabrat

Stingy little 200k today. Climby in the middle part, 8700 feet worth. Rained sideways while I was climbing out past Spruce Run and then out of High Bridge. Thunder. Lightning. Was brutal for a bit. I only word shorts and SS jersey so it got cold while it rained. Whatevs. Looking forward to next weekend's 300k. I have 2 team mates joining in so that'll be nice.

9200k to go.

View attachment 52083 View attachment 52084 View attachment 52085
View attachment 52086
View attachment 52087
saw you rolling through Warren downtown at 8:50am
thought you were headed to work

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Randonneurs Rules:

1. Dress like you work for DOT.

2. Apply the biggest saddle bags you can find to every square inch of your bike.

3. Once rule #2 is met, cram as many blinkies as you can on your body and bike. When you are done you should look like a Christmas tree.

3. Wear a balaclava when temps dip below 68 degrees.

4. The use of CO2 to fill tires is prohibited. Instead carry a floor pump on your bike, use duct tape if necessary.

5. Take copious notes when on the road. Record stops and starts and sketch wildlife when appropriate.

6. Use of computer navigation (GPS) is forbidden. Foldable paper thin maps that disenigrate in your back pocket will be provided.

Steve Vai

Randonneurs Rules:

1. Dress like you work for DOT.

2. Apply the biggest saddle bags you can find to every square inch of your bike.

3. Once rule #2 is met, cram as many blinkies as you can on your body and bike. When you are done you should look like a Christmas tree.

3. Wear a balaclava when temps dip below 68 degrees.

4. The use of CO2 to fill tires is prohibited. Instead carry a floor pump on your bike, use duct tape if necessary.

5. Take copious notes when on the road. Record stops and starts and sketch wildlife when appropriate.

6. Use of computer navigation (GPS) is forbidden. Foldable paper thin maps that disenigrate in your back pocket will be provided.

You have the book too? That's almost verbatim.

Steve Vai

Tryleeze bike morning. Nice quiet session in the park. The Town dude was mowing the baseball field so I couldn't ride the rocks. Boo.

Metal Bike ride after work. Short and sweet. Legs are surprisingly good after Sunday. Yay.

IMG_20170516_090715_155.jpg
20170516_084353_001.jpg

jackx

Nice job on the 200k. Will be interested to see if the 300k has 50% more vertical as well.

Seems like you could take a photo (with GPS embedded) at the control location or something of interest nearby instead of getting a receipt, especially if you don't need to resupply at that time/location.

Steve Vai

There is talk of allowing GPS data as proof. I'm all for it but being a sport of tradition, there's some kickback.

jackx

There is talk of allowing GPS data as proof. I'm all for it but being a sport of tradition, there's some kickback.
If one's entire GPS file was available, then they wouldn't have to worry about creating large or wide enough loops so that no one cuts the course to the next control point. But then again, why would you be doing it if you're going to cut the course.

I would think their could be a private Strava group for Randonneurs USA registrants, and members could see/ verify all rides there.

Then you could spend your money on new tires or Bonk Breakers and not on a Dunkin Donut for a receipt.

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Nigel and Joe are for it, and they're the 2 important guys for our area. The thing that would be hard to verify is the time you arrive at Control Points. They have an open and close window so you'd need to prove you went through during that time. Not such a big deal for most but I come close to getting to the Controls before they open. If I didn't have to stop I would hit thethe first couple early.

Steve Vai

This was not an easy day. Just over 13 hours for the 300k. 12k of vert, some rain, and a dead Garmin. A group of 4 of us seperated early and hung together until Harriman where we finally broke apart. I got dropped after C7 when my Garmin died. I chased super hard to catch first but ran out of road...

IMG_20170520_194004_324.jpg
IMG_20170520_133222_481.jpg
20170519_203123.jpg

Top Bottom