Weight weenie broken Race Face next crank.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
So, I have broken my second Raceface Next SL crank. I thought the first was from a pedal strike but ultimately after some digging the pedal boss comes unbonded from the carbon arm. Takeahikeshop warranties the first one in December. I just noticed the other side doing the same thing at CR on Thursday. After some reading it looks like it was a known problem and hopefully the G4 version has it fixed. I have the G4 on my fs bike. This really sucks when you have three bikes invested with them with direct drive absolute black chainrings and such. Big $. Are STAM XX1 cranks any better or am I looking at the same problem?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
IMG_6208.JPG
IMG_6209.JPG
IMG_6208.JPG
Pics? Been running Next SL cranks for a couple of years with no issues...
This is the current ine(left side). Takeahikeshop warranties the other side through raceface. Hoping they upgrade me to G4. Notice in second pic I had covers on the ends and no indications of strikes or anything.

Karate Monkey

Sounds like great design, just like Campy's carbon cranks :rolleyes:

Hope they come through for you. If they let you keep the old one, I would cut it on a bandsaw to see exactly what/why it failed, but that's me.

(don't have anything to add to the conversation, sorry)

Supermoto

20170322_130917.jpg

I broke my G4 crank, no rock strikes, just broke while out riding one day. They are making a newer stronger design for AM riding. My XX1 have been great, no issues yet plenty of rock strikes

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Also have a pair of Next SL cranks that are 4ish years old with several million miles on them. No issues.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Just looked at my warrantied one and that is now effed too! 3 broken Next SL arms( both sides). WTF. The pair had about 1400 miles on them but this warranty one from December is less than 300 miles.

Pampa

I have 3 pairs on 3 different bikes. No problems at all yet (fingers crossed). One doesn't get ridden too much (my son's bike). Of the other two, one I bought just when they launched them. I've used them w/o boots and no issues. The other pair I've had for about 3 years in my fat bike. Not as many miles; no problems.

Maybe there's something off w/ the spindle of your pedals, or some other part of your pedals?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I have 3 pairs on 3 different bikes. No problems at all yet (fingers crossed). One doesn't get ridden too much (my son's bike). Of the other two, one I bought just when they launched them. I've used them w/o boots and no issues. The other pair I've had for about 3 years in my fat bike. Not as many miles; no problems.

Maybe there's something off w/ the spindle of your pedals, or some other part of your pedals?
Nah, think they just don't hold up to single speed rigid 29er Clydesdale type riders. A lot of my riding is rigid at chimney rock and trying to hammer hills.

Anthony Livelli

So, I have broken my second Raceface Next SL crank. I thought the first was from a pedal strike but ultimately after some digging the pedal boss comes unbonded from the carbon arm. Takeahikeshop warranties the first one in December. I just noticed the other side doing the same thing at CR on Thursday. After some reading it looks like it was a known problem and hopefully the G4 version has it fixed. I have the G4 on my fs bike. This really sucks when you have three bikes invested with them with direct drive absolute black chainrings and such. Big $. Are STAM XX1 cranks any better or am I looking at the same problem?
This happened to Me on My Next SL cranks Race Face covered it no problem. Otherwise they have been a great crankset

easyasballinacup

i also have these cranks, many miles and too many pedal strikes to count, no issue. some days you go to a wedding some days you go to a funeral. call race face im sure they will right ya.

Top Bottom