Chimney Rock Conditions

FitmanNJ

I went out this morning to see if the trails could be packed a bit. Even though the snow wasn't deep (~6"?), it had a crust on top that meant packing it down took a lot of energy -- which at this point, I just don't have. One guy came with a fatbike, tested out the riding, then wisely left. I ended up going from the Newmans Lane parking lot on White to the stream crossing -- then back to the lot, and down Lower Red to the stream crossing. It was better going back and forth packing down those trails than trying to break new trail. So, I got a workout smashing down about a quarter mile of trail -- well, it's a start. I may go back tomorrow and cross the river on White. The trail along the reservoir ought to be the next best section to try and open up.

A plus was working on my snow riding skills (weight distribution, tire inflation, seat height, etc.). Could have done more if I could sustain, maybe, 300+ watts -- ha, that ain't happening!

FitmanNJ

The part of White that runs immediately along the reservoir is now smashed down. From my ride file, it looks like about .85 miles of trail in total have been firmed-up. There were a couple of other riders out there smoothing things out, too. I think the top crust may be melting a bit with the warm-ish temps as it was easier than yesterday to break trail...

woody

So far blue is very rideable on a fat bike with like 3psi. We'll see about the other colors...

By the way, big trees down at the top of blue.
20170318_110845.jpg

FitmanNJ

Looks like somebody rode their ATV on Blue after Woody posted. They made deep ruts in the snow, which thru freeze-thaw, are now icy, deep ruts. They must have driven in there during a "thaw" as there are numerous places where they churned up a bunch of mud from underneath -- made a mess.

On a brighter note, if you can get there when it's frozen (early in the morning), the crust on the "virgin" snow is strong enough to support a fatbike at low psi's...maybe even narrower-tired bikes. It's a strange, but fun feeling riding up on top!

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Where can I get a description of what kinda riding is in this park? Sand, roots, hills, nice hard pack single track, etc.

Chimney "Rock". Sooooo, yeah.

Red, White and Blue have soil "similar" to the sections of Allaire near the river/stream and by the GSP so they can hold onto water. Red and Blue have climbs as compared to SixMile and Allaire and both have a fair amount of rock....nothing crazy, mind you... mostly baby head and smaller. White is like a tiny SixMile w/out the tree gates and twisties. Across Chimney Rock Road I've only really been on the trails between the stream and CRR (similar to R.W.B) pump up the tires so you don't kill the HED's.

Last edited:

kidzach

Red, White and Blue have soil "similar" to the sections of Allaire near the river/stream and by the GSP so they can hold onto water. Red and Blue have climbs as compared to SixMile and Allaire and both have a fair amount of rock....nothing crazy, mind you... mostly baby head and smaller. White is like a tiny SixMile w/out the tree gates and twisties. Across Chimney Rock Road I've only really been on the trails between the stream and CRR (similar to R.W.B) pump up the tires so you don't kill the HED's.[/QUO
Comparing Chimney Rock to some parts of Six Mile. Did not see that coming.

ReverendNewman

Red, White and Blue have soil "similar" to the sections of Allaire near the river/stream and by the GSP so they can hold onto water. Red and Blue have climbs as compared to SixMile and Allaire and both have a fair amount of rock....nothing crazy, mind you... mostly baby head and smaller. White is like a tiny SixMile w/out the tree gates and twisties. Across Chimney Rock Road I've only really been on the trails between the stream and CRR (similar to R.W.B) pump up the tires so you don't kill the HED's.
I just don't want a filthy Hartshorne type ride. Hills, hills, hills. And then some more hills. I don't mind sand, roots, hills, obstacles. I just don't want a whole day of them.

Last edited:

ReverendNewman

I might take my Fuel EX 8 FS first time out. I can't go wrong with that rig.

skully

anyone know how it looks for a ride today ??? was thinking of doing blue, white and possibly red if I have time .. thoughts ???

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Word from 2 days ago was its terrible. Still snow snow and very wet. Can't see it improving at all since. I'd avoid

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions