Youth mountain bike advice

ChrispyKreme

I made a mistake and bought my son a charge cooker 24. Just to heavy and not geared correctly. Rather then battle 10 or so pounds what are your kids riding. He's got a good bmx background at 4 foot 4 inches I've been looking at a riprock or a trek superfly. We will generally ride allaire and 6 mile. Any advice will be appreciated

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would look for a used
I have bought race bikes for my kids that were a couple years old that were top dog bikes. My daughter has a full xtr/sid fork Rocky Mountain that weighs 24#.

Most 24" or 26" bikes for kids are just too heavy, IMO.

ChrispyKreme

Thanks for the info, I've been looking used but havnt come up with anything to good. The kid wants to rip so I want something that will suit him

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Hey Chris, my son's on a 2016 Trek Superfly 24 disc. I did a lot of research before purchasing, and the spec was right. Not a fan of the 2017 Superfly 24 though... no disc option and comes with 7spd freewheel. If you can find a leftover 2016, jump on it.

One thing I think is important for kids who actually hit the trails, find a bike with a cassette, not a freewheel. The freewheel will limit your drivetrain options. With an 8spd cassette you can keep your eyes out for 9 or 10spd takeoffs.... or upgrade your bike. I'm actually building a new wheelset for our Superfly 20 that's getting passed down to my daughter. She's getting my 10spd and I'm upgrading to 11spd. My son has Vreelands 10spd on his.

ChrispyKreme

Thanks bud, I'm torn between the 2 unless I can find a nice used bike. At 30 lbs the riprock is awesome with 2.8 tires but 5 lbs is 5 lbs

ChrispyKreme

The riprock also comes with 1 x 9 which isn't bad. I'm gonna keep researching, looking used and considering all opinions until the weekend

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
You'll probably find something on here just by asking - damn kids keep growing....
i've got a marlin 7 29er in medium with 50 miles on it that my kid just grew out of. i knew i should have gotten him a fatbike.

Anyone help a brother out??

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Looks like the 2017 hotrock 24 disc is also a good base. Lace in some tubeless 24" stans wheels, convert to 1x8 right away and keep an eye for some 9 or 10spd stuff.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
No argument there, just not sure on 2016 avail. Worth a call to Brielle....

My son loves his

20170313_170300-1.jpg

Should get the kids together and ride Allaire. Always have fun with @moose35

ilnadi

20160604_170935.jpg
Is love to find a 24 fattie used. I just can't swing 900 right now. I like that little trek though
I got my son a Framed 24 Fattie when he grew out of his 20". It was mostly to get him excited and into more single track. It worked and we biked 2-3 time a week all last spring and summer. It is heavy and not the greatest bike but it is affordable and well built. When we do sand or snow he loves the fact that he can kick my but on my skinny tires. We may keep that bike after he outgrows it, heck I can ride it if I raise the seat enough.
Yes, he likes blue...

ChrispyKreme

View attachment 49656
I got my son a Framed 24 Fattie when he grew out of his 20". It was mostly to get him excited and into more single track. It worked and we biked 2-3 time a week all last spring and summer. It is heavy and not the greatest bike but it is affordable and well built. When we do sand or snow he loves the fact that he can kick my but on my skinny tires. We may keep that bike after he outgrows it, heck I can ride it if I raise the seat enough.
Yes, he likes blue...
I appreciate the reply, I'm gonna top out at 30 lbs. He doesn't complain but I could see the dread pushing it up hills. He's not a lazy kid at all and loves to fly but between the gearing and the weight its tough.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
The little Riprock is pretty dope if you can swing it. Not as light as the Trek24 but in my experience the kids do well with a wide tire. Even the 24 will be heavy for them so getting the big tires will let him plow through stuff.

ChrispyKreme

Its a couple pound difference, I found a decent deal on one but have to order it sight unseen.he's about 4'4 SO ITS A GAMBLE

ilnadi

I appreciate the reply, I'm gonna top out at 30 lbs. He doesn't complain but I could see the dread pushing it up hills. He's not a lazy kid at all and loves to fly but between the gearing and the weight its tough.
I was amazed what he can do with that bike. Granted he will not be able to race on it but all I am thinking is when his legs catch up to that bike I will be in trouble.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Its a couple pound difference, I found a decent deal on one but have to order it sight unseen.he's about 4'4 SO ITS A GAMBLE

If you're talking about the superfly 24, come test ride my son's tonight. He's 4'.. maybe 4'1... can't keep up he grows so fast

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I bought the boy a Giant hardtail when he was 8, it weighs a ton and has a fork he can't even budge, but he had a alot of fun on the bike, runs a 5.5min mile so cardio is not an issue. This year I (Santa) bought him a Norco Fluid 24 that I found used but in good shape. Great little bike, not super light, but has decent front and rear air suspension that can be tuned for weight. They rent these at a bunch of bike parks here in the Northeast, so you can find one for a fair price.

Top Bottom