"Official" BIYF 2016-2017 thread

rlb

I second @oobaa47 's remarks, I am easily ten lbs lighter and much happier due to all of the miles I put into BIYF, HUGE props to @rlb for the hard work and hope to meet some of the mtbnj community out on trails, thanks again!!

Awesome! As always don't forget @fidodie, he helped out a ton too.

I'm still planning to put together a post BIYF ride like we did last year, so hopefully you can make it. I would love to pin a date to a nice dry trail system to , but you know how that goes.

BIYF Wrap up ride:
Vote for when/where.
https://goo.gl/forms/Nmqei8Z2hsrHC9Sh2

Last edited:

thegock

3/18

1:36

https://www.strava.com/activities/904826868

Happy St. Patrick’s day again. Corn beef and cabbage on the evening menu with the parents tonight.

@jimvreeland , who built these snappy Nextie rims below, suggested Six Mile at the crackadawn and it was just about perfect on the Fattie. Rode Blue from the canal and it was a little slow. About a mile in I lost the trail, circled back, and lost it again. At that instant also realized that it didn’t matter, because the bike was floating on top of the crust and I could ride anywhere.

I sojourned off the trail up to Blackwells Mills side:

Six Mile IMG_20170318_082224-01.jpg

I rode up on a stopped @GHM73 and concurred on how great the Blue trails were then rode on. Just before the long wooden causeway bridge, I was trundling up a rise between two cedars, when my rear wheel slipped out and I dropped off the left edge of the trail between two other cedars. At that moment, @GHM73 and Mike, who I had met riding the Cedar Shakes three years ago rode by. These were two of the only three other riders that I saw Saturday morning, blowing by me when I was flattened off the trail under my bike. The embarrassment...

Godsmack on the phones.

Red was choppy and starting to melt at 10am. Glen said that White was starting to deteriorate. Six Mile will be a mess for a week. At least.

rlb

Thanks for all the thanks!

I'm sure a few more rides will come in, but I think we can call it...

Elite winner is @liong71er
Mortal winner is @teabagger11

Unfortunately there are no MTBNJ t-shirts, so it's going to be socks for all! I'm hoping to pick them up soon, and I'll work out how to get them to prize winners.

Congrats to the winners, and thanks to everyone for playing along. I'm glad to hear this kept some folk motivated through the winter. You put up some impressed by the numbers, this year everyone rode a combined 2217 hours. Well done!

teabagger11

I'm not working on 4/2 so let me know where and I'll be there
Pretty psyched that I won but it was only through many twists off fate
@w_b and @thegock catin' up
@huffster should have won kudos to you dude
@JimN I think he would crushed us all if he had more riding ops@liong71er I may have to quit my job next year yo try and best you!
Again just seeing people riding all winter is awesome!

thegock

3/19/17

1:26

https://www.strava.com/activities/906595516

Going out with a whimper, I guess.

After a three hour breakfast with my wife concluded with leftover lemon meringue pie, drove down to South Bound Brook post office lot. There was a guy unloading a Cervelo Solo from a van there already while I set the Fattie up. Very few people on the towpath trail with variable snow/slush conditions. If the is Magic Snow, then is there magic slush?

WSW of Zarepath there was deeper, slower snow and fewer people. Some exposed dirt and lots of big, slush filled puddles. Good to make the last one a challenging ride, I guess. And the Fatboi goes through or over anything for the last five days. The guy with the Cervelo was loading up at the SBB Post Office at the end of the ride. He had done 21 slow miles at age 71 recovering from a hip replacement after a fall on the road.

Thanks to Pat and Rob, the admins, (riding time is precious and admining doesn’t get you in the saddle).

Problem: 4/2/17 BIYF season ender conflicts with volunteering for NICA, my previous commitment. I will have to keep off the Levee:

Levee IMG_20170319_123902-01.jpg

Top Bottom