Wawayanda State Park Conditions

Oh, I was definitely serious. I know that crossing well. I've crossed that when the rocks are at least above the water. It's a tricky crossing, but quite frankly is mostly about putting your head down and just pedaling your ass off. Look straight, not straight down. With the extra water running over the top would mess with my psyche enough to follow what your buddy did or go another route. The challenge is that another route is a PITA from that point.

Not sure if serious... lol. Although just out of frame, the second part of the rock bridge was also completely submerged. after the big tree on the right. While crossing that I was hoping not to mess up since it was only a mile into the ride. Didn't want wet feet. But my buddy had to walk it, he had wet feet.

Oh, I was definitely serious. I know that crossing well. I've crossed that when the rocks are at least above the water. It's a tricky crossing, but quite frankly is mostly about putting your head down and just pedaling your ass off. Look straight, not straight down. With the extra water running over the top would mess with my psyche enough to follow what your buddy did or go another route. The challenge is that another route is a PITA from that point.

@huffster yeah to backtrack to the blue trail. We tried another way around but no luck. If you ever want a ride partner at Waway, PM me. My local town spot.

Oh that blue trail sucks balls to ride. Its called Boulder Garden trail and I once dragged my bike through there. Never again. But, there is a double track near the water crossing that you can take out to the roads and then road ride it to Cherry Ridge. Seems we both agree, when you are standing at the bridge...the best answer is...CROSS!:D

Yeah, I started taking the double track out to the main road but then turned around since my buddy was pressed for time.

Today's conditions were damn near perfect. The only spots with standing water were on the fireroads. Get some.

I rode Red Dot and Twin Bridges today. Wow, a lot of blow downs!
The ground was a crazy mix of frozen heaved up leaves and frozen mud,
Only in places, most trails are in great shape.
I can't imagine when it thaws. As for today the riding was pretty good. But,
not smooth sailing because of downed trees.

Twin Bridges
Twin Bridge tr.jpg

Red Dot
RedDotTr01.jpg

Sitting Bear
Sitting Bear 3_17_02.jpg

Sitting Bear again
Sitting Bear 3_17_03.jpg

There were some other fat bike tracks but they were almost snowed back over by the time I came through in the afternoon. So, I thought maybe it was you riding earlier in the snow.

There were some other fat bike tracks but they were almost snowed back over by the time I came through in the afternoon. So, I thought maybe it was you riding earlier in the snow.
Nope......I just got out this afternoon and did a short 4.5 miles, just to enjoy the snow. I squashed your tracks with my XXL 5.2

Too much slippery snow and nothin' packed down.

Snowmobile was here, but it's blown over and not rideable.

Blizzard03.jpg

Hoeferlin trail

Blizzard01.jpg

Hi Pete. Do you have a Wayway trail condition update ? Wondering if the snowmobiles packed a lot of trail. Thanks.

I was there this morning, snowmobiles have been through some trails and I'm sure they are rideable.
Just not by me! Very frustrating, I got the ambition, the bikes, and the time, just don't have the legs, or the skills to do it.
Damn. I don't know how long it will be good when the temp go's up and the sun comes out. Mornings are best. It was 20°
this morning.

snowmachines.jpg

Much better today, Saturday, it was still ride & hike a bike, but it was do-able.
Tired me out, but do-able. Saw some xc skiers, some I knew, some I didn't.

sat snow ride.jpg

@trailhead
Monday morning, 7:30 AM, nice and cold at 22°. The trails are frozen and rutty. A real workout to ride and pick a line.
At one point I tried to ride the fresh snow and was able to for about 50 feet. then I broke through and sank.
Tried again, and same thing. Almost rideable, not quite. I still managed to get my 6 miles in though.
As I was ending my ride I saw a fellow Fat Biker. Very unusual for me at this hour in the park. He had done an amazing
ride from Ferber Circle into the park, and on these trails that's quite an accomplishment.

The road / Ruts
Spring01.jpg

The mystery rider rides off.
Spring05.jpg

Still lots of snow in Wawayanda! Some good spots, some not so good.
The sun melts it fast and makes mud, even at 28°. Shady places still seem good.
I stuck mostly to the road to get my five miles in

Pumphouse trail
March 22_06.jpg

March 22_07.jpg

April showers makes wet trails, ya gotta know when to stop and turn back.
This is Double Pond trail. I was able to get in 7 miles today, but had to backtrack on most trails.

muddy2.jpg

muddy1.jpg

We rode there on Sunday and other than the fire roads, the southern trails like - wall, mojo, hemlock pickle, rattlesnake, pines, budda, splitrock were mostly good. Fire roads were pretty swampy in spots and the trail after split rock when you cross the pipeline was a flooded mess. Not sure how its going to be after another week of rain though.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions