Watchung News 12/9/2016

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just curious... weather? Cause of the temps? No precip until slight flurries in the afternoon..... Looking forward to the rescheduled date.

stilluf

Keep an eye out here for an update on trail maintenance. Things are progressing behind the scenes, and we hope to have a new schedule from the county soon.

Also, I know how tempting it is for those with fat bikes to ride in the snow. But PLEASE stay out of Watchung! You may feel like your tires float above the snow, but they leave a kind of obvious track (i.e.. not XC skis). Our opponents love nothing more than to point to bike tracks as evidence of all the debunked negative stereotypes of the MTB community. Let's rise above and give them nothing to lean on other than fake news and alternative facts.

Much thanks.

TheLonerider

During the most recent hunt day I went through the rez on Skytop Dr., saw a guy who had backed his pickup truck completely off the road *onto the trail* (wtf?) across from the picnic table thing.

I get the deer hunt and have no problem with hunting but it kinda irks me when bike haters accuse us of trail damage when in the few weeks of the deer hunt the atvs -- or a huge pickup - can do damage a bike would never even come close to in a year of riding.

Hypocrits, methinks.

That said eagerly awaiting trail day.

Would be nice if the county gave us gas vouchers to drive to other parks in the meantime tho since its taking so long lol. 45 min each way to lewismorris for me.

Lonerider

bigtwin100

During the most recent hunt day I went through the rez on Skytop Dr., saw a guy who had backed his pickup truck completely off the road *onto the trail* (wtf?) across from the picnic table thing.

I get the deer hunt and have no problem with hunting but it kinda irks me when bike haters accuse us of trail damage when in the few weeks of the deer hunt the atvs -- or a huge pickup - can do damage a bike would never even come close to in a year of riding.

Hypocrits, methinks.

That said eagerly awaiting trail day.

Would be nice if the county gave us gas vouchers to drive to other parks in the meantime tho since its taking so long lol. 45 min each way to lewismorris for me.

Lonerider
Is this really the correct way about this? All of your complaining about the county seems to be a step in the wrong direction. We all know these boards are monitored. How about you stop your whining in this post and other post's about the counties actions etc. (which I for one am very excited about and grateful) and offer some positive feedback and if you are really bothered by the politics you just keep it to yourself for now.

TheLonerider

Bigtwin, we got this far because people who saw something brought it up. While I don't expect thanks from every tom, dick, and harry for all the research I did in the beginning and passed on to JORBA, the OPRA requests, etc (it was I who found out they had hired CME, they never even told the JORBA guys they were working with) I at least expect someone who is another cyclist to acknowledge that these observations are relevant; a truck or atv does a helluva lot more damage than a bicycle.

I too am greatful for the progress being made, however, I am also painfully aware that every time that progress has stalled, it has been because we backed off. With respect, had myself or others who have been involved since the beginning heeded such advice, and kept silent, we wouldn't be having this discussion because there would be no progress on this issue.

I understand many cyclists are not thinking of this in terms of big issues like governmental fairness, transparency, or even campagnolo forbid, philosophical implications. Many just want trail access. I want trail access too, and I'm glad of such progress as is being made; that doesn't mean I am not often amazed at how many fail to see the basic principles of governance and only look at pragmatic aspects.

That said, criticizing a hypocritical stance on trail use, such the the government keeping bikes out while allowed trucks or atvs, is not criticism of the efforts to get bikes in, merely an observation of how damn silly some of this crap is, and how pointless the ban is. which goes to its legitimacy and therefore is not at odds with other attempts to get access.

After all, to paraphrase Pericles, although only a few may originate policy, all are able to judge it.

Lonerider

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I too am greatful for the progress being made, however, I am also painfully aware that every time that progress has stalled, it has been because we backed off. With respect, had myself or others who have been involved since the beginning heeded such advice, and kept silent, we wouldn't be having this discussion because there would be no progress on this issue.
At this point we have our foot in the door and we are working with the county towards getting trails built. The most important thing for us to adhere to is to be patient with the process. The process may not always make sense however we have no control over it.
It's OK to voice opinions and frustrations however you need to know Jamie has been working on a regular basis to move forward with the county. Let's stay positive and be patient, we'll get there.

Shorepoints

Everything is progressing. Mini-Excavator is in, County ordered a bunch of these: https://roguehoe.com/product/70hr54/
for our crew, consulting engineer proposal is in, deer hunt is over. County needs their engineering consultants to "bless" the roughed out trails before we are permitted to get in there and finish them. It's a layer of bureaucracy that is annoying but understandable from a liability issue. This is Jersey, after all. As soon as I have meaningful news regarding volunteer days, you all will hear. Shouldn't be long now.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Everything is progressing. Mini-Excavator is in, County ordered a bunch of these: https://roguehoe.com/product/70hr54/
for our crew, consulting engineer proposal is in, deer hunt is over. County needs their engineering consultants to "bless" the roughed out trails before we are permitted to get in there and finish them. It's a layer of bureaucracy that is annoying but understandable from a liability issue. This is Jersey, after all. As soon as I have meaningful news regarding volunteer days, you all will hear. Shouldn't be long now.

Are they going to let @pooriggy use the mini excavator? He's a pro!

bigtwin100

Bigtwin, we got this far because people who saw something brought it up. While I don't expect thanks from every tom, dick, and harry for all the research I did in the beginning and passed on to JORBA, the OPRA requests, etc (it was I who found out they had hired CME, they never even told the JORBA guys they were working with) I at least expect someone who is another cyclist to acknowledge that these observations are relevant; a truck or atv does a helluva lot more damage than a bicycle.

I understand many cyclists are not thinking of this in terms of big issues like governmental fairness, transparency, or even campagnolo forbid, philosophical implications. Many just want trail access. I want trail access too, and I'm glad of such progress as is being made; that doesn't mean I am not often amazed at how many fail to see the basic principles of governance and only look at pragmatic aspects.

That said, criticizing a hypocritical stance on trail use, such the the government keeping bikes out while allowed trucks or atvs, is not criticism of the efforts to get bikes in, merely an observation of how damn silly some of this crap is, and how pointless the ban is. which goes to its legitimacy and therefore is not at odds with other attempts to get access.

After all, to paraphrase Pericles, although only a few may originate policy, all are able to judge it.

Lonerider
Hey Lonerider I agree with most of what you say except i do disagree with you publically criticizing union county officials at present. Also complaining about atv use that happens once a year is a waste of breath. I also feel you sound a little arrogant implying you are mostly responsible for progress thus far as there are many including myself who have gone to the meetings etc about this. I have read other posts of yours about watchung and some of it has a negative energy. Not here to argue simply voicing my opinion like you are but i do think you need to back of the county criticism. Keep it positive until there is a reason not to be and as of now there is no reason

TheLonerider

Agreed with much of what you wrote, Bigtwin. Well I don't know about the ATV use, I think anything that points out how harmless mtb'ing is by contrast couldn't hurt but I see your point about seeming arrogant...never meant to imply I was mostly responsible for the progress, only for getting some of the info out, sorry if that came out wrong. I think because I have never worked on a big advocacy effort before and am still learning, it seems.

However, hopefully soon we'll all be riding the new trails and it'll all be good.

Lonerider.

bigtwin100

Agreed with much of what you wrote, Bigtwin. Well I don't know about the ATV use, I think anything that points out how harmless mtb'ing is by contrast couldn't hurt but I see your point about seeming arrogant...never meant to imply I was mostly responsible for the progress, only for getting some of the info out, sorry if that came out wrong. I think because I have never worked on a big advocacy effort before and am still learning, it seems.

However, hopefully soon we'll all be riding the new trails and it'll all be good.

Lonerider.
All good Lonerider good we can all discuss. I didnt see that angle about the atv use comparison but now i do. Thanks for clarifying. Yes hopefully we'll see each other on the new trails!

Top Bottom