Bikes, Bellies and Beyond

36 weeks yesterday!
3rd pregnancy, it now seems, is starting to catch up with me. Everything hurts.
Sitting on the couch eating bonbons seems a really nice way to spend the day. Still walking and doing yoga, but the idea of running or riding right now makes my ligaments hurt.

Instead I've been trying to pack our calendar full of social activities. Now that @Delish is in week 2 of the off-season, he's been making pizzas and drinking sake as if Short Track isn't just around the corner.
[GALLERY=media, 1211]IMG_6068 by Dominos posted Jan 20, 2017 at 10:46 AM[/GALLERY]

Uuni?

Final countdown to baby involves pretty much nothing for #3, other than agonizing over names.

Question to the group : how did you choose your kid's names?
or alternately - how did your parents choose your name?

Also... still totally open to name suggestions. We have a short list at the ready but aren't wedded to any of them.

Back when we were AlphaGraphics, the owner said he would give $5k to anyone who named their kid Alpha.

My name has been a family name for 5-6 generations at least. Sadly I ended that streak :p

Names

If we ever had a girl, Samantha.. I always liked that name. not sure why, maybe I wanted to call her Sam... Since we never had a girl, RIP Samantha

The first names were to be original to anyone in the family. Coming from a family of 7 uncles, all with very common names like Anthony, Richard, Robert, Michael, James, Paul..... you get the point. The middle name would be names after someone close in the family.

My eldest son- we didn't have a boy's name. We were sitting around BS'ing in the family room one day with family over and my Aunt suggested Cameron. I liked "Cam". Middle name is my first name

My middle son - I wanted a boy with initials for a nickname.. Since we were going with John (first name of my brother and father in law) as the middle name, I liked AJ and we went with Alexander.

Youngest - middle name would be Paul after my god father. We liked Nate for the first name and ended up with Nathan.

I'm named after my father.

This name site is pretty cool
http://www.nymbler.com
I think girls names are way easier/cooler, but that's just my inexperienced opinion. I'll stay tuned for the final pick!

On the subject of choosing names, I never thought about how anyone in my immediate family was named. Middle names are from family members, but otherwise I'd have to ask my mom. Something I never really thought of, thanks! What was your process for your first 2?

Everyone knows the real names you want should not be discussed as someone you tell knows someone with that name and feels free to give their opinion. Like, all the Mike's I know are meatheads, or something to that effect.

Anyways...
My son, Hunter was a name I wanted right from the start and is probably the only thing in my marriage that I made the suggestion and it stuck. Just liked that name.

With my twins, regardless of the sex, one of them was going to be Hannah as my wife always wanted that name. Luckily we had two girls, so at least we didn't have to have a boy named Hannah.

So the other twin, the other kids were an H name, so we figured we didn't want B baby to be an outcast, left-handed stepchild kinda thing, so we figured had to be an H name. Harley was my pick early on but my BIL sorta killed it as he has a Harley Quinn tattoo on his arm and my wife thought it would be weird(not to mention that HQ is insane). I am also from York, PA, where there is a Harley Davidson final assembly plant and my wife didn't want that connection. It held strong though and grew on her UNTIL my MIL started to like it and the that killed it for both of us. So traded the 'r' for a 'd' and she became Hadley.

Each kid's middle name has a starting letter from a passed family member

My parents made my name a last minute decision. It was between two names. Thank god they chose Mark, or I'd be a Lance.

Our Son is Samuel. It had a nice ring to it. We just threw names around until something stuck. We knew his middle name would be my wife's family name, Everett.

Me: first/middle...Named after my two grandfathers...one whose actual name was Amato, but went by the nickname Joe....Of course I also go by my nickname, which is fitting :) I named Bob after my father...which is something I was deadset on from the time i was a teenager...if I was ever going to have a son, I would name him after my dad.

Never thought of a girls name since having a girl was never a possibility in our case :)

I told you my suggestions....Not ending in a Y sound.....Just something that would be my personal preference...No explanation as to why that is. I even did this with my dogs....Lois and Elsa.

What was your process for your first 2?
We had some rough guardrails we followed :
1) We started with some phonetic guidelines.... nothing to EE EEE sounding.
2) Our last name is sort of a conundrum for a lot of people - any time I have to spell our last name, they get thrown off by the fact that there's an O, followed immediately by an I. So we wanted names that were straightforward.
3) Neither of us are nickname people, so names that had 12 nicknames (i.e. William) were out of the running.
4) Nothing too biblical.

Beyond that, our first got the middle name of a dear friend of mine who passed away too soon. Second one just got a cool-sounding middle name.

Back
Top Bottom