what do you read?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Have you ever read the Hyperion series by Simmons? I think it's incredible. It's a 4 book "series" but it's really 2 & 2. They are tied together but it's really 2 books, then 1 thread brings you to the next 2 books. Absolutely loved them. I have just picked up the first of another 2 book series he did. Not as good, but still decent.

I just started the last book in the series. Really enjoying them.

You should check out The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

Kaleidopete

Riding The Edge by Dave Barr. I love this *hit! A double amputee, Barr recounts his round the world journey on a motorcycle.
Dave Barr rode a 1972 Harley Davidson over 83,000 miles around the world, despite the loss of both his legs from an antitank mine explosion in Angola in 1981. The idea was to help raise the awareness for people with disabilities.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I just started the last book in the series. Really enjoying them.

You should check out The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

Very cool.

When I wrote that I then picked up the first of a 2 book series he wrote. Unrelated. Don't bother. Not nearly as good. Only halfway done.

njmark

Professional Cyclist
I've only read Dan Simmons horror novels, Summer of Night and its sequel A Winter Haunting were excellent. Children of the Night by him was also a great read, a vampire novel that didn't turn them into misunderstood teenagers, rather a medical condition causing the vampirism.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just finished Hyperion set. Thanks for the recommendation @Norm

@njmark I'll add those to my to read list.

I also finished the most recent Jonathan Maberry : predator one. I get a kick out of these special forces/saving the world from mad scientists types of books.

Next up is the second installment of red rising. These books are the next hunger games/divergent series I think. Except the main character is a guy, so you don't automatically feel like a teenage girl for reading it. I liked the first one a lot. Hopefully the second is as good.

By the way, I'm all about audio books. I don't have any time to read, but spending 2 hours a day in my car gives me lots of time to listen.

njmark

Professional Cyclist
Lately I've been reading a lot of Robert Ludlum. I agree the whole save the world, espionage secret agent man stuff is great. Also the latest Patricia Cornwell novel, I love the Scarpetta books. They make CSI stuff interesting, whereas the TV show never did anything for me.

Kaleidopete

"Little Golden Books That Never Made It"

1. You Are Different and That's Bad
2. The Boy Who Died From Eating All His Vegetables
3. Dad's New Wife Robert
4. Fun Four-Letter Words to Know and Share
5. Hammers, Screwdrivers and Scissors: An I-Can-Do-It Book
6. The Kids' Guide to Hitchhiking
7. All Cats Go to Hell
8. The Little Sissy Who Snitched
9. Some Kittens Can Fly
10. Grandpa Gets a Casket
11. The Magic World Inside the Abandoned Refrigerator
12. The Pop-Up Book of Human Anatomy
13. Strangers Have the Best Candy
14. Whining, Kicking and Crying to Get Your Way
15. Eggs, Toilet Paper, and Your School
16. Why Can't Mr. Fork and Ms. Electrical Outlet Be Friends?
17. Places Where Mommy and Daddy Hide Neat Things

Kaleidopete

I'm reading this now, I enjoy these true adventure stories.
"8,000 Miles Across Alaska: A Runner's Journeys on the Iditarod Trail" chronicles Tim Hewitt's adventures across Alaska — the harrowing weather conditions, breathtaking scenery, kindness of strangers, humorous misadventures, humbling setbacks and heroic victories and his encounters with the bikers. From fierce competition with his fellow racers, to traveling backward on the trail to ensure the safety of his wife, to battling for his own survival, Tim Hewitt has amassed a lifetime of experiences amid the harsh miles of the Iditarod Trail. This is his story.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am reading the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn(RIP). Start with 'AMERICAN ASSASIN" and go in orderCIA OPERATIVE ...Totally binge reading...have read the first 12 books in the last 4 weeks...and it moves fast. Read the last book I have in my possession,"Pursuit of Honor" in the last 24hrs...CIA operative, espionage, torture, couple double taps, etc...plus all of the DC politics trying to mix into government and political climate as well as senate and judiciary policy and how they mix in with OGA (other Govt Agency) So much fun to read!!!

Reactions: roc

JoeLee

I just finished the Rebecca Rusch autobio - it was pretty good. Mostly I read whatever bookbub emails me to tell me is free to DL. Lots of lame zombie apocalypse trash - tho occasionally a gem in there. I read to escape.

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I just finished the Rebecca Rusch autobio - it was pretty good. Mostly I read whatever bookbub emails me to tell me is free to DL. Lots of lame zombie apocalypse trash - tho occasionally a gem in there. I read to escape.
Thanks for the tip, I just joined bookbub. I <3 me some lame Zombie apocalypse trash :D
I hear ya on the "read to escape" sentiment. ;)

Last edited:

gtluke

The Moped
I read "The Left Hand of Darkness" last week. Why isn't this the ctrl-left version of atlas shrugged? WHO IS Therem Harth rem ir Estraven?!
I thought it was pretty good

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am reading the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn(RIP). Start with 'AMERICAN ASSASIN" and go in orderCIA OPERATIVE ...Totally binge reading...have read the first 12 books in the last 4 weeks...and it moves fast. Read the last book I have in my possession,"Pursuit of Honor" in the last 24hrs...CIA operative, espionage, torture, couple double taps, etc...plus all of the DC politics trying to mix into government and political climate as well as senate and judiciary policy and how they mix in with OGA (other Govt Agency) So much fun to read!!!

I read a few of those and liked them too. You should definitely check the Joe ledger series too. It's written by Jonathan Maberry. It's a little bit of Mitch Rapp meets xfiles. Really addictive stuff...

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Right now I'm reading 14 by Peter Clines. Only 1/3 way through but I can already tell I like style. Easy to read and keeps me engaged.

I should reinerate that when I say "read" I really mean listen to on audiobook.

Top Bottom