Sirius XM chatter

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Hi all - I've got a bit of an inside track at SiriusXM -
You can ask questions, and i'll try to answer, or get the right person to contact you.
Will try to keep this updated...

Current Deals

1. Sirius XM has been activated on all radios for the next 10 days. If you have it in your car, or a portable unit, it should be working right now. About 60 channels available.

2. If you purchased a used car with SXM, and never activated it, you can self-activate a 2 month free trial from the website. https://www.siriusxm.com/sxm-tryfree

3. Best deal you can get right now is about $120/yr for everything. You'll need to call and negotiate.
"I can afford about $115/yr" - lots of balking - maybe a transfer - then you'll get an offer. you will need to do
this every year. pay for the year all at once, and put a credit card on account.

I know you will use your SXM radio to listen to great '80s tunes like:

Last edited:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
WFUV in NY
WXPN in Philly.

Commercial free public radio that plays quality music.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Al Jourgensen pretty much disowns that first ministry record but I still dig it haha. He must have really took it in the rear to be convinced to play those songs.

Oh yeah...always negotiate sxm too.

Patrick

Staff member
WFUV in NY
WXPN in Philly.

Commercial free public radio that plays quality music.

some people leave central/south NJ occasionally...

What's a useful purpose of these satellites once sxm finally goes under?

they are not just music delivery - they own/are vertically integrated in telematics (it is re-branded as the car manufacturer) - that is growing,
and will only get bigger given the need of broadcast information. the cell network can be secondary or primary - or hybrid (sat down, cell up)

xm satellites are geo stationary, sirius are in a tundral orbit. huge in central/south america (which is coming on-line soon)

gtluke

The Moped
What kind of data speeds can sxm support? Too bad the lag is terrible. But global(ish) Internet would be cool.

Patrick

Staff member
What kind of data speeds can sxm support? Too bad the lag is terrible. But global(ish) Internet would be cool.

satellite is an emergency two way service - i had hughesnet at one point, and it was better than T1 - the lag is based on the speed of light - so yeah, you can't get around that. The LEO cluster (iridium) was a better idea, but the power had to be to high since the antennas were not directional. from a broadcast (multicast?) perspective, you can't beat a delivery method that can cover 200M houses.

XM this... Freakin hate it! Audio quality sucks, the repetition of 10 songs sucks and they expect me to pay for that? Screw them.

http://www.wbjb.org/ ANd it's FREE

I'd listen to weqx myself - over the cell network - there is a cost there, but not going to blow out the plan. hd radio is higher bandwidth, but limited coverage. best to stay on campus, cause it is scary out there. channels are variable bandwidth, based on some MBA's recommendation. since i grew up on pirate audio tape, aint no big thing. i don't listen to current music, so the range is decent, and can always change channels. when i'm done with ministry, i'd go to

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
satellite is an emergency two way service - i had hughesnet at one point, and it was better than T1 - the lag is based on the speed of light - so yeah, you can't get around that. The LEO cluster (iridium) was a better idea, but the power had to be to high since the antennas were not directional. from a broadcast (multicast?) perspective, you can't beat a delivery method that can cover 200M houses.

I'd listen to weqx myself - over the cell network - there is a cost there, but not going to blow out the plan. hd radio is higher bandwidth, but limited coverage. best to stay on campus, cause it is scary out there. channels are variable bandwidth, based on some MBA's recommendation. since i grew up on pirate audio tape, aint no big thing. i don't listen to current music, so the range is decent, and can always change channels. when i'm done with ministry, i'd go to

Wow blast from the past...Love that song, have it on a mix tape somewhere with Screaming Blue Messiahs and some other '80s alt/new wave.

ekuhn

This is good news. Just got my renewal notice and they want like $275 to renew. Going to call and haggle tonight.

Patrick

Staff member
Thanks! I will call them to haggle a better price. Im paying quarterly I think but I hesitate to activate a full year because what if I dont keep my car? Last time I tried to get a refund credited to my card i spent over a half hour on the phone waiting for the rep to do their thing. Apparently refunds are not something they make easy to process... Theyd rather keep the money and let the service expire and not renew. That itself wasnt a big deal but I was susprised how long it took for them to do it.

unfortunate - it is a normal thing for them to do.

make sure you tell them you are not getting a new car. there is no replacement sale then, and they are better off making you a happy customer.

rick81721

Lothar
I renew every year with the Pat haggle but I don't know why - I rarely listen to it. 95% of the time I listen to music from my iPod. Does come in handy on long road trips with wifey tho - she likes the comedy channels

ekuhn

My haggling didnt take too long. Just told them I couldn't afford it and the girl cut the price right in half. Got it down to just under $150 with all the fees. Thanks Pat for the heads up.

Mr.Moto

One time I got a promo in the mail for $25 / 6 months of basic service. I got it for my wife's car. The catch is that if you don't call to cancel before the service end date, they automatically charge full price. I just called today to "cancel" and haggled for the same rate. It's probably the third or fourth time I've done it and kept the service at the same price. It's a bit of a hassle, but it works for me at that rate.

Top Bottom