Mahlon Dickerson Reservation Conditions

njkayaker

I thought I noticed a sign but didn't see it blocked off. didn't read the sign. I ride WMA still but I wear BRIGHT clothing riding there now

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
We were told by the MCPC that they intended to close "Anrothar's Alley" because it traversed sensitive wetlands and there were environmental impact concerns. For those who do not know, this has always been an unauthorized trail to begin with, though it may have markings. While several other such trails were eventually recognized, this trail has been a source of contention for several years. It is hard for us to defend this trail as it does cross several long wet areas that would likely be classified as "wetlands" along with a section of eroded fall line. While nobody wants to see a favorite trail closed, we suggest taking some time to consider the "bigger picture" while taking a position. There were plans to restrict access to everything north of Weldon Road, but that is no longer being considered. You may have noticed that the "Ghost Trail" has been officially recognized. We have invested considerable time and effort and made good progress with the MCPC over the past couple years. At the Tourne, we have been able to make some trail improvements and riding on all the trails is being conditionally accepted. At Lewis Morris, some significant trail improvements are in process, and we are maintaining access in Jonathan Woods. We ask our supporters to follow rules established by the MCPC. If a trail is marked closed, please honor that request.

Last edited:

Blk06CompIRL

Thank you for the information, I do recall 3 years ago the red trail being closed but obviously when they were not blocked anymore and signs gone we started using it. I did notice ghost being marked so took that as a positive as long as its features remain lol. I also know I heard rumors of TB drama with that land owner. I know I appreciate the ability to still ride those locations even when the best stuff gets removed. I hate the tourne switch back re route as I loved that washed out DH section but I'll gladly lose 1 section to keep access to the parks in general. Thanks again.

njkayaker

there is that unmarked trail at the end of cascade that runs right in to the middle of the red trail. that isn't closed off.

njkayaker

4 bears on the Orange today. surprised them and me. They scattered. 2 up the trees. one to the left. other to the right and that was the big one. came towards me and then stopped.

huffster

Which trail is "Ghost" that is being "recognized"? I've probably ridden it, but I don't know all the names of trails. There is a little part of me hoping I haven't ridden it and I will learn of something new to go hit.

Rainman503

Rode on 12/31. Mostly dry with very little standing water. The normally swampy areas in the northern part of the park are still swampy.

njkayaker

rock_feature.jpg

Nice ride WMA\Mahlon today. Need a chain saw for that tree on colombo return. no way I can get it with my hand saw.
rock_feature.jpg

njkayaker

I never have seen so many cars at Mahlon. lots of people riding from sparta and a ton of cars with racks Weldon lot. did 14+ mi and didn't run in to one other biker on the trail. I did run in to a bunch of hikers. one huge group. conditions are great this early in the year.

Attachments

• profile_bike.png
    profile_bike.png
    547.5 KB · Views: 175

blast_off

the tree across the trail at the bottom of green trail (across from the main lot, Columbos Finishing move for the Strava folks) has been getting lower and lower. It dropped about 18 inches in the past week, and is now right around handlebar height.

Its a large tree, I'd say nearly 20 inch diameter. Does anyone know who does the saw work at Mahlon? If someone wants to PM me details. I have a lot of time on a chainsaw and can handle the job, I just don't want to step on someones toes nor aggravate Morris County parks.

There is also the tree across Colombos Return, on the north side of the WMA that needs to be brushed out and moved.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I have called in three trees to MCPC a few times since last spring at lew mo and they have yet to be cleared! I don't know who handles mahlon lately but @trailhead may know. Thanks for the report.

Its a large tree, I'd say nearly 20 inch diameter. Does anyone know who does the saw work at Mahlon? If someone wants to PM me details. I have a lot of time on a chainsaw and can handle the job, I just don't want to step on someones toes nor aggravate Morris County parks.

njkayaker

I tried a handsaw on that colombo return tree and didn't take long for me to realize I was wasting my time. to big.

Reactions: rlb

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Too close to the main lot for my services, not sure if the park will touch it because its not on a recognized trail.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions