Book of Paul H

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Been reaching out to the edges of the handlebar these days so I ordered a 740mm bar from aliexpress. For $15... Not much to lose I guess. Now... How do I wait 2-3 weeks? Lol

Nice I just made an order yesterday from AliExpress for like $120. Should be receiving like 120 things in the mail in a month.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Nice I just made an order yesterday from AliExpress for like $120. Should be receiving like 120 things in the mail in a month.
What did you get?
Inquiring minds would like to know... maybe I will order the same lol

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What did you get?
Inquiring minds would like to know... maybe I will order the same lol

some combination of base layers, fleece jackets, iphone cables, patch kits, neck scarf/gaiters, gloves, beanies, neoprene socks for my winter sandles, hiking pants

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
by the time you get them... you might not need some of them lol
some combination of base layers, fleece jackets, iphone cables, patch kits, neck scarf/gaiters, gloves, beanies, neoprene socks for my winter sandles, hiking pants

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Is it the type of bike you ride or the environment you ride in... or is it the people you ride with?
Roadie prick? Rode thru every freakin red light and basically owned the road in certain parts. The weird part is, not once did we get honked at... at least I don't think. I guess that just means we were being a bunch of SAFE roadie pricks? lol And I am really starting like riding with others as one thing is certain.. I don't have to worry about my bike getting stolen on those coffee breaks... mine is the cheapest one! Sad but true.

This particular ride was the best and the worst so far. Great bunch of folks and the ride itself was fun but worst in the sense that overall, this ride was harder than anything else I have done so far particularly due to the fact that my fitness wasn't up to my usual par since I started real riding. Came out to be 87 miles but it was tougher than the century ride. My left thigh started cramping up on the bridge coming from Randalls Island back into the city. Thank God for @1sh0t1b33r for giving me one of his gels which seems to have helped for a bit. Then a few later, my right thigh started cramping too on the greenway on the west side. Ate a half of a bagel sandwich leftover from breakfast and a banana but any resemblance of a hill.... the cramps came back and had to dial things down substantially. Felt bad for @liong71er as he dressed a bit on the light side and had to crank things up to battle the cold but this wasn't to be. I am sure he dressed appropriately for his style of riding in this weather but he miscalculated.... he was ride with a NOOB! Let this be a learning lesson for him when riding with a noob! lol Once we got back to NJ, ate some food and back on the road. The cramping on the thighs disappeared but cramps started in the calves. WTF... Just can't win! Then about 45min or so... snow... just light dusting but then started coming down at Saddle River when I still had an hr left on the ride. Took things nice and slow... and slowly but surely I was on schedule to get home b4 dark. Last climb at WP faithfully known as the Pompton Rd Climb on strava, cramp on my right calf came back with a vengeance. No choice... got off the bike and walked up the climb for about a mile. The last leg back home was all down hill but this too wasn't going to be easy. With the snow, it was slippery as heck and visibility wasn't all that great. I was on the brakes the entire ride down and thank the heavens that there were no cramping on my hands or I might have ended up as road kill. Soon enough I see my garage and about 2 feet from it... cramp! Almost fell when trying to get off the bike. JUST CAN'T WIN....

Oh... last note for this ride... I was a freakin open faucet on this ride. Had 3 cups of coffee as I only got 3 and a half hrs of sleep the night b4 and drank 2 liters of water during the ride and whenever I saw a porta john... ironically it was like seeing oasis. Should have worn a diaper instead of the padded shorts. Could have killed 2 birds with 1 stone. lol

https://www.strava.com/activities/472720850

Last edited:

qclabrat

Riding in cool weather on the road is completely different from a June century. Clothing choices, nutrition and equipment are things you learn more about with each season on wintering riding. Yesterday was my first time in awhile going out on the road instead of mtb in the winter. For one, I chose the wrong bike, two dressed to warm on top with too little on my hands and feet, and lastly should have grabbed some food at Starbucks as I was seriously bonking near battery park.
The 87 you did should have been tougher given the conditions

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Riding in cool weather on the road is completely different from a June century. Clothing choices, nutrition and equipment are things you learn more about with each season on wintering riding. Yesterday was my first time in awhile going out on the road instead of mtb in the winter. For one, I chose the wrong bike, two dressed to warm on top with too little on my hands and feet, and lastly should have grabbed some food at Starbucks as I was seriously bonking near battery park.
The 87 you did should have been tougher given the conditions
I bought my road bike used and didn't get a fit. I am still tinkering around with it.
As far as fit is concerned... I want to get a new drop bar but not certain as to what width I need. Supposed to be shoulder width?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Supposed to be shoulder width?
That's seems to be a general rule. I'm not fit to my roadie, but I'm working with what I got because it was either cheap or free. I don't want to throw a bunch of money at it before I get a proper fit so I know what I need. My bars are definitely narrower than shoulder width, but they feel ok.

Where is this Liong parts bin? Any Thomson setback posts!?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
That's seems to be a general rule. I'm not fit to my roadie, but I'm working with what I got because it was either cheap or free. I don't want to throw a bunch of money at it before I get a proper fit so I know what I need. My bars are definitely narrower than shoulder width, but they feel ok.

Where is this Liong parts bin? Any Thomson setback posts!?
Some of the carbon drop bars on aliexpress is about $30... I am thinking of ordering one. If it sucks or the wrong size... no biggie
I am trying to find out but he did tell me that they are mostly mtb stuff.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd steer clear of Alibaba carbon bars. You're far better off with aluminum if you want to stay cheap and try something wider or with a different shape. You can always invest in carbon later if you find a good shape, reach, and width for you. Or buy something quality, but used. I would not want the bars to snap while riding, especially with your weight forward on a road bike.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I like this one:

http://salsacycles.com/components/category/road_handlebars/cowbell_3

Btw, that always happens in a sausage-fest. You think it's gonna be a relaxing ride, but it's never always that.

Cramping was probably due to conditioning and nothing food/nutrition related. Best thing to do is put in in the lowest gear and spin as lightly as you can, whenever possible. Sometimes you can spin out of a cramp like that. No pain no gain.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

My hiking pants already came. 7 days I think. They are getting faster maybe. It's a bit tight, shiny, and I should have ordered a different color, but is usable.

High-quality-New-arrival-2015-Men-s-quick-drying-Leisure-Travel-active-Removable-hiking-Waterproof-Perspiration.jpg

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
My hiking pants already came. 7 days I think. They are getting faster maybe. It's a bit tight, shiny, and I should have ordered a different color, but is usable.

High-quality-New-arrival-2015-Men-s-quick-drying-Leisure-Travel-active-Removable-hiking-Waterproof-Perspiration.jpg
7 day???
Was this a store with a US warehouse? I ordered a bluetooth earphone from ali that came pretty fast but I think the store or their warehouse was in the US.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
7 day???
Was this a store with a US warehouse? I ordered a bluetooth earphone from ali that came pretty fast but I think the store or their warehouse was in the US.

Package is from China Post.

Top Bottom