Reviving CheeseQuake trail

okay so CQ has about 5-6 miles on decent riding . I have spoke to the park several times about revamping the bike trails , to make it simple they just don't have the man power. let me bring you up to speed , Quake has a lot of quick decents followed by quick , steep climbs , some average log overs along the way just enuff to keep you LEARNING!! Recently some newbie went in there and removed every single obstacle or object of fun. So I have decided to revamp these trails on my own (I am accepting help ...hahahaha) , im planning on staging it like 6mile with obstacles/challenges parrell to the trail itself . I have already begun carving some new lines ,on the trail by the dog pens . if theres anyone who rides there that would like to offer support or ideas , please pm me , my goals is to make this a great after work spot to perfect your skills or just get a lil cardio burn . so please feel free to throw suggestions , I will be posting here as progress is being made .. thanks

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I have decided to revamp these trails on my own

I know you mean well, however you need permission from the state park before you work on any trails. The bottom line is that this is not your property to do what you want with. As much as I would like to see improvements to this place, It should be done legally. Otherwise you run the risk of mtb's be kicked out of Cheesequake.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Six mile was not a system at all 10 years ago. Your could not ride from 27 to canal road.

Meetings were had, permission was denied and then granted. I really gave up more than a few times before I got my shit together and got some real help. Thanks btw (you know who you are)

Do the leg work with the red tape first.

Your intentions are good if not great, you just need to do all the work.

Trust me, they have no issue making an example of someone for doing trail work w/o permission. You have just admitted on a public forum that you are doing something of questionable legality. I am not overstating how easily they can connect the dots back to you. There are groups out there that are well organized with a hatred of mtbers.

While on my soapbox, we as mt bikers need to remember how hard it is to get closed trails re-opened in NJ. It is proving impossible. The way we treat these parks is in fact being scrutinized. Littering, riding in muddy conditions, cutting illegal trails and being less than friendly to other trail users is all on the radar of the people who hold the keys. Remember rule #1

Frank

Sasquatch
Six mile was not a system at all 10 years ago. Your could not ride from 27 to canal road.

Meetings were had, permission was denied and then granted. I really gave up more than a few times before I got my shit together and got some real help. Thanks btw (you know who you are)

Do the leg work with the red tape first.

Your intentions are good if not great, you just need to do all the work.

Trust me, they have no issue making an example of someone for doing trail work w/o permission. You have just admitted on a public forum that you are doing something of questionable legality. I am not overstating how easily they can connect the dots back to you. There are groups out there that are well organized with a hatred of mtbers.

While on my soapbox, we as mt bikers need to remember how hard it is to get closed trails re-opened in NJ. It is proving impossible. The way we treat these parks is in fact being scrutinized. Littering, riding in muddy conditions, cutting illegal trails and being less than friendly to other trail users is all on the radar of the people who hold the keys. Remember rule #1

This!!

The first

Being one of the first TM guys with Wally at Cheesquake, id reach out to Wally Tunison over at the bike hub of Marlboro and ask him if he has any old trail maps laying around that you can reference what we built over 20 year ago. this way you have an idea of what was built, when, where and how.. I will also try to dig up old records on the trails that we built there.. and then you must do it the correct legal way and like others have said don't post up to this PUBLIC open site.. If i can help pm me..

1- gather interest from local volunteers
2-establish a volunteer list
3- write up a volunteer plan for the state and then ask to have a meeting with the super of the park
4- tell him/her your interests, have a plan laid out
5- provide them with a volunteer list of names and address
6- wait until you hear from them to "proceed"
7-wait some more
8- follow up
9-wait some more
10-- hopefully its a go..

Then once your established, then you can reach out to JORBA for help/Guidance and then establish a JORBA group at that park. The good thng is you have a ton of resources on this site from long time experienced trail advocates, Builders, managers. I know your excited, take baby steps, and do it the correct way.. good luck

thanks
Mike

Last edited:
thaks everyone for the feedback really much appreciated!!! I have spoken to a few folks at the club house about the mtb trails and its usally the same response all their time & effort goes to the hiking trails & cm. center. when I talked to them about the trails they loosely said " oh the bikers normally take care themselves" cause we just don't have the staff but did throw in firmly that they do not allow motorized machinery in the park at all !!! so with all the advice I think I might be in over my head a little bit . with a lil tlc this place could be such an after work play ground , oh well , I do not need any problems so until further notice I WILL NOT BE DOING ANY FARTHER WORK

k-drive

Quick questions; Are the white trail and it's offshoots the only trails allowed to be ridden by bikes? I rode a few years ago closer to a beach with lots of bridges, has that since been shutdown/destroyed or just not bike-legal?

walter

Fourth Party
I run here regularly, usually 2 times a week. The multi use trail is technically the only off road trails open to biking.
Is this place in dire condition? No. Is it going to be a one day fix? No. From what we've heard in the past, this is just one of those parks where they don't really care to have help for the trails. The boy scouts seem to do work here, but thats about it.

qclabrat

Used to ride here a bit when I lived in Edison, since I've moved not worth the drive down. Still occasionally take the kids crabbing at the bridge but never to ride. Very few hikers compared to the other state parks so not surprised that there's little interest or investment to make improvements.

walter

Fourth Party
I live pretty close, gonna check it out.. whats the best place to park to get into the white trail?
@MikeyBikey2000 go through the main park entrance and follow that road until it comes to a "T", bear right and about 100 yards down on the right will be the entrance to the white trail. There are parking spots right at the trailhead.

Top Bottom