Sawyer Permethrin Spray

The Kalmyk

I have used this in combination with skin applications for a couple of years now and insects stay far away. I spray my mountain bike shirts, bandanas and socks. I also used it this weekend on some hiking clothing and it proved it worth against Adirondack black flies.

Dislikes: Pricey for one outfit

http://www.sawyer.com/permethrin.htm

ization

I'm wondering if you noticed any irritation while you sweat? Also, how many washes will the product last before a reapplication is needed? And lastly, what is your preferred product for use on bare skin?

The Kalmyk

Once it dries you won't notice it on your clothing whats so ever. No irritation or odor! They say it last 6 washes +/-. On the other hand I do not use a whole bottle per outfit as suggested. I cut out my shorts. On the skin I use OFF Deep Woods but I am looking into a something natural to replace it. I haven't yet found anything natural that keeps the ticks and chiggers away. In the link it says that permethrin on the clothing is equivalent to 100% deet.

Mildly Wild

Someone told me about a common product (not specifically marketed as insect repellant) called "Skin So Soft". Supposed to work great as insect repellant, with none of the down sides associated with deet products. Anyone have experience with this?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Someone told me about a common product (not specifically marketed as insect repellant) called "Skin So Soft". Supposed to work great as insect repellant, with none of the down sides associated with deet products. Anyone have experience with this?

Yes. I think it's just a mareting ploy. Never worked for me when I worked on the farm.

Wolfjon

yeh the skin so soft never worked for me either. I might have to try the permethrin though I seen to get eaten alive this year..

RideNattyRide

I have used this in combination with skin applications for a couple of years now and insects stay far away. I spray my mountain bike shirts, bandanas and socks. I also used it this weekend on some hiking clothing and it proved it worth against Adirondack black flies.

Dislikes: Pricey for one outfit

http://www.sawyer.com/permethrin.htm

Just ordered it and will give it a try. It seems as though the bugs love my sweet blood.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I am so relieved this will work on my bandanas. Now when i reenact the bike scene from the goonies, I don't have to worry about getting eaten alive.

J-Dro

That's just a conspiracy perpetrated by Avon Lady's. Speaking of which, did anyone else's Mom have one of those annoying yentas show up at their door every month?

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
be careful with this if you have cats or birds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

from their marketing:

Can I use Permethrin on my cat or dog?

Sawyer Permethrin Clothing Treatments are registered with the US EPA for use on outer clothing and personal gear items, such as sleeping bags, tents and netting. There are other Permethrin formulations registered for use on cats and dogs. Be sure to read the product label to ensure the product can be used on pets. Do not expose cats to wet Permethrin as it affects their central nervous system. This is not true with dogs, horses, or cows. Cats can be around Permethrin treated fabrics once the application has dried.

Top Bottom